• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

a new nautilus cai. is sad

24vnut

CEG'er
ok so i called to nautilus to order the cai when the guys says. i stop makeing them to make new ones. so i said whats going to be new about them. he says the piping will be a two peace (i forgot what bend but obviously not straight like the older one you guys have) and on top of that there will be a elbow of a 90 degree conecting from the pipe to the filter. he says like that it will fit easy'r into the fenderwell without that much cuting. so im like 90degree?. hes like yea i know but everyone complants that they have to cut to much around the fenderwell. then im like well no cai fits perfect and with a two peace pipe with a 90degree elbow what good is that going to be? but the good news is for $20 extra $150. he can make the old one but it will take a week and longer if you want to powder coat it. so thanks to all you dumb people who have a performance car and dont know what proformance is you just made our lifes cost $20 more!!! and have to wait a week mabye longer to get it:mad:

Your post makes my head hurt. The original NPG CAI was a ••••• to install, so until you've done it yourself, quit whining. Contours are "performance cars"...you make me laugh. Oh, and a CAI for my car costs $350, so....yeah.

Your post makes my head hurt. The original NPG CAI was a ••••• to install, so until you've done it yourself, quit whining. Contours are "performance cars"...you make me laugh. Oh, and a CAI for my car costs $350, so....yeah.

Um...he's saying that he didn't mind the old CAI. But do to many people •••••ing to joey. Joey is gonna have to do a 2 part cai kit, Charge an additional $20 for the extra 90 degree bend. The bend is offered now to help resolve the huge hole that is needed to be cut to make the old one fit. Now there will still be a hole...but a bit smaller??? lol

I'm kinda with this guy...and you. It's a performance car...••••s not supposed to fit perfect.

I guess my point is that either way, the new product is likely to have the same function, while being easier to install for most people which is a BIG plus. Not everybody wants to sit there with a pneumatic die grinder for 30 minutes like I did. Then we come to the price point. An extra $20 to make it $150 total? Big whoop. I guess if people don't like it, then they are free to make their own, considering that NPG is the only company I can think of that is currently producing a CAI for this platform. Like I tried to show, real CAI's for most platforms are likely to be twice that price or more. Hell, the VCM OTR (over the radiator) ram air kit for a G8 is $500 compared to my little peon of a $350 Vararam OTR, and it's just a piece of plastic.

ve-otr4.jpg

oh sorry for making ur head hurt. i mean i think its worth to sweat a few more drops and cut some more then to have a cai with a 90degree bend. and yea it may just be a old boring ex enterprise car but if your buying a cai air must flow freely. whats funny is that you gave 350 on something that might make 3 whp on a freezing day

Last edited:
Actually, the stock airbox is so restrictive that the Vararam makes a significant dyno proven gain over stock without tuning. That's what you can do with a real motor that didn't have everything tweaked from the factory like the SVT Contours did.

Props to the guys at NPG... at least they're trying to make customers happy. As for that intake... you may get an extra 25 horsepower if you are doing a buck twenty-five but I don't see it happening on a dyno. Show some numbers!

I never dynoed my truck stock, but I made 360/423 to the wheels with just an intake and catback. Most of the bone stock trucks are in the 340/400 range. You can pick up quite a bit on a supercharged vehicle by letting it breath a little easier.

Way to go to find what is potentially THE lowest gain ever recorded.
The results for the Vararam were good, but certainly not nearly as high as other people's gains.
This gain was not as much as some others had posted which leads me to believe that perhaps the Vararam may gain more on an untuned application or maybe people were testing the stock airbox with a stock tune and the Vararam with a power tune. If that's the case, then my total gains for VR and tune were 28rwhp and 9 rwtq.
Plenty of owners on the two actual G8 forum have seen significantly more gains. I could spend hours looking them up since it has been a popular subject seeing as the 26 WHP claim IS a bit hard to believe, but as usual it's not worth my time. Regardless, it's more than 3 WHP. One of our local members picked up 3 MPH in the 1/4 when he added the Vararam alone.

Oh, and the conditions for that test were lovely too. I doubt he had a HSRK at that point either.
You forgot to mention it was 105 frickin degress on those pulls too!
Also, way to go to skip over the fact that he gained 18 WHP by tuning while sticking with 87 Octane on a 10.4:1 CR engine. Tuning for 93 octane with more advanced timing would have provided more gains. Oh, and Patrick G is a tuning god.

well with 93 and timing and tuning on a cool day will do about 10 crank hp buy it self

Hi
I figure I would chime in on this one I am steadily trying to improve the products based on what I see or hear because like any good place they should keep up with the customer ideas and results. I recently purchased a full machine shop so I was going to try to mill a bend but the bend would have to be 90* which in case some people wondering this is a bad idea. The bend would cause huge turbulence and more restiction so being the cold air fit both the turbo kits and the NA. I revised the kit to just NA sharpening up the bends to fit better and decreased the center run between the two bends this will make the cutting less into the wing and still have a smooth airflow. The price increase should have been higher before once I started cost on parts I was not making hardly anything of the system. Now because I improved the routing I can't no longer have the the two bends CNC bent because you need 6" of straight between the bends and now I decreased it so I tig the aluminum pipes together plus now the pipe come polished as base model. I will post a pic of the new kiit just remember guys it is impossible to run a true cold air 3" pipe in this car without trimming the OEM holes some. Thanks for your support. joey

Back