• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A call for help

codypka

Veteran CEG'er
I've had a never ending rear suspension problem on my SVT for years now. Its a rattle/clunk coming from the passenger side rear wheel area when i hit a bump in the road. VERY noticeable and VERY annoying. It makes me dislike my car (and i dont like that!). I've literally had it looked at by 3 different shops, none of which could figure it out. Obviously this is really frustrating, not to mention a huge waste of money. I guess i keep on choosing dumb mechanics, or maybe they are just lazy

I've taken the recommendations of people on CEG as well as the mechanics and replaced all of the following: struts (got a BAT kit), strut mounts, sway bar end links and end link bushings. I even put new hardware on the brake at the suggestion of someone. Nothing helps.

I'm posting this here hoping there might be someone relatively close to me with the tools/expertise to at least properly diagnose my problem, and hopefully fix it as well. I'll gladly compensate this person whatever they think is fair as long as they aren't trying to rip me off (which i dont think anyone here would do). I'm sure someone here can figure it out. Lets face it, some people here are infinity more knowledgeable about these cars then just about any mechanic. if all else fails I'll try to take it up to Aircougar, I'd just rather not go that far, he is about 3 1/2 hours each way.

so can anyone help me?

if you didnt mind driving to Harrisburg Pa, i'd do it for ya for free. I always like meeting new people, and i have access to the shop i work at 24/7. We could organize a CEG meet then too. just a thought.

have you tried getting someone to sit or lay back there with the seats down perhaps and try to hear where the sound is coming from?? maybe isn't not suspension related...

did you ever get the ebrake cable fix done on it?
It's an old TSB. We used to have an irritating creak in the rear of our SVT until we had the TSB done (after reading about it on CEG)

if you didnt mind driving to Harrisburg Pa, i'd do it for ya for free. I always like meeting new people, and i have access to the shop i work at 24/7. We could organize a CEG meet then too. just a thought.

i might have to take you up on that offer, and having a CEG meet would be cool. but seriously, at the very least you have to let me buy you a case of beer or lunch or something. looks like a little over 2 hours each way, not terrible. I like roadtrips

you arn't a serial killer right?

have you tried getting someone to sit or lay back there with the seats down perhaps and try to hear where the sound is coming from?? maybe isn't not suspension related...

never tried that but a good idea. I might have to lie in the back and have my gf drive around tonight
did you ever get the ebrake cable fix done on it?
It's an old TSB. We used to have an irritating creak in the rear of our SVT until we had the TSB done (after reading about it on CEG)

i bought the car with 90,XXX on it, so i have no idea if it was done or not. I highly doubt this could be it though.

I think Luca's husbands svt does it also. I don't think they figured it out yet either.

dam that sucks. I wouldnt wish it on anyone

If you end up taking 95_Mystique up on his off let me know, If i can ill stop by and put my .02 cents into it. I had lots of rear end issues and pretty much replaced everything and now shes tighter than from the factory. Thanks to polyurethane.

i might have to take you up on that offer, and having a CEG meet would be cool. but seriously, at the very least you have to let me buy you a case of beer or lunch or something. looks like a little over 2 hours each way, not terrible. I like roadtrips

you arn't a serial killer right?

Serial Killer?
BrothersDeer010.jpg

only when it comes to deer...

and solo92s10, why dont i ever see your CSVT up here in Middletown?

If you end up taking 95_Mystique up on his off let me know, If i can ill stop by and put my .02 cents into it. I had lots of rear end issues and pretty much replaced everything and now shes tighter than from the factory. Thanks to polyurethane.

that would be fantastic. cant hurt to have more help

"now she's tighter than from the factory"- thats dirty haha

The car really hasnt been on the road for more than 1000 miles in the past 4 years and all have been by me in the past few months. I dont really get to middletown too much but have been working in harrisburg area the past few weeks. But now the svt is back in the garage getting body work and paint job, but thats in another thread.

Back to the rattle, did you silly ass ever take your spare tire out and go drive it around? I have the lug wrench in my trunk, pinned down under the rubber of the tire. It has be set free at one point and it would rattle all the time....

And have you taken the side fabric off the trunk? It could be the air vent that goes from the sheet metal to the outside. its a plastic vent that allows air/pressure changes in the trunk. If this broke off, it could be rattleing....

Have you modified your exhaust? Do you have a ••••ty hanger? When I put on my trubendz kit, I need to bend my tow hooks in. The exhaust would ting off the tips to the tow hook.

Do "did the bat inc kit", did you happen to replace the top strut mounts? Those rubber mounts eventually where, I doubt it would clang/bang/etc, but still food for thought.

Have you checked your gas tank straps/supports? Old car+old bolts + PA roads = broken bolts ---> hanging gas tank.

Is your fuel filter strapped in place? that little guy would rattle around if not properly mounted.

Have you looked at your bumper mounts? There are 4 large bolts and various anchor points for the rear bumper. If one of the larger bolts had snapped it could be rattling around.

Got junk in your trunk? I hear my tools bunching all the time in my subaru.

Are your seats properly anchored? It could be the rear seats bouncing/flopping when your hitting bumps. Depends on what kind of noise you might "hear" Is it metal? or is it a thump?

Are you sure its not just the noise of your tires pinging off of a bump? or does this magical noise occur at slow spends as well as fast?

Do you have the power antenna? Does your remote keyfob still open the trunk? Either of these motors may have worked their way loose and are flapping about in hidden areas.

Theres alot of food for thought no mentioned in your post. Maybe one of these will help!

Back to the rattle, did you silly ass ever take your spare tire out and go drive it around? I have the lug wrench in my trunk, pinned down under the rubber of the tire. It has be set free at one point and it would rattle all the time....

------------yes i tried that

And have you taken the side fabric off the trunk? It could be the air vent that goes from the sheet metal to the outside. its a plastic vent that allows air/pressure changes in the trunk. If this broke off, it could be rattleing....

---------------this i'll take a look at

Have you modified your exhaust? Do you have a ••••ty hanger? When I put on my trubendz kit, I need to bend my tow hooks in. The exhaust would ting off the tips to the tow hook.

---------------only mod to exhuast is glasspack in place of resonator. i've jiggled the exhuast around to see if that was causing it, but it doesn't make any noise

Do "did the bat inc kit", did you happen to replace the top strut mounts? Those rubber mounts eventually where, I doubt it would clang/bang/etc, but still food for thought.

--------------------i got all new strut mounts. so unless you are referring to something differen, its not that

Have you checked your gas tank straps/supports? Old car+old bolts + PA roads = broken bolts ---> hanging gas tank.

-------------------i'll double check this, but i've been under the car several times looking for loose stuff and couldnt find anything

Is your fuel filter strapped in place? that little guy would rattle around if not properly mounted.

---------------problem existed before and after getting a new fuel pump so i doubt its this

Have you looked at your bumper mounts? There are 4 large bolts and various anchor points for the rear bumper. If one of the larger bolts had snapped it could be rattling around.

--------------i'lll check

Got junk in your trunk? I hear my tools bunching all the time in my subaru.

-----------------nope, took everything out and it still makes the noise

Are your seats properly anchored? It could be the rear seats bouncing/flopping when your hitting bumps. Depends on what kind of noise you might "hear" Is it metal? or is it a thump?

-------------------not the seats

Are you sure its not just the noise of your tires pinging off of a bump? or does this magical noise occur at slow spends as well as fast?

----------------happens at anything over a creep.

Do you have the power antenna? Does your remote keyfob still open the trunk? Either of these motors may have worked their way loose and are flapping about in hidden areas.

----------power antenna was snapped off by some douche, but before this happened the antenna motor worked fine. yes keyfob opens the trunk just fine

Theres alot of food for thought no mentioned in your post. Maybe one of these will help!

i very much appreciate the post. i'm open to any ideas

if i can elaborate on the sound a bit. When it started it was more of a metal on metal type of sound, and it was low to moderate noise level. It has become recently more of a thumping sound, though i guess its still "metalish" sounding, but not as much as it used to be. Now the noise has become much louder.

also the car seems to jump around a bit when the sound is made. This is what led to to think it was something with the sway bar, but replacing the end links and bushings didnt help, and the sway bar itself seems fine.

I guess as long as its SMALL metal flake, i wouldnt look bad. I had the big metal flake in the paint. it looks ricer-ish.

Great tips on what to look for ZeroHour

so i might have to take you up on your offer to drive out to your shop if that offer still stands. Would next saturday work for you?

As I would not recommend this, but one way to rule out the sway bar would be to simply disconnect the end links and go for a drive. By all means, do not go speeding through turns without your rear sway bar attached, but if there is a rear alley you can roll through to stimulate the noise, removing the sway bar rules it out.

Also check the mounts on your trunk lid. I doubt the trunk could be that loose, but you're coming down to very few other options of what might be wrong!

Also check the evap or something or other that resides under the car. Its right below the sheet metal for the tire hub. Does that move at all? maybe one of the tabs is broken?

Double check that fuel filter...it is not part of the fuel pump, and doesn't need to be changed when you replace the fuel pump.

Are you sure the struts are bolted tight? I don't mean you can look at the mount, fidget it with your hand, and not move it. Is the nut physically tightened all the way down the top of the stud. Same goes for the pinch bolt on the knuckle. I had to hammer my struts from the knuckle to get them out. Along the lines of 300 whacks with a 4lb mallet. A loose pinch bolt would not move with a hand inspection, but when the 2400lbs of car is bouncing on the road, you bet that would move a loose lower strut. And I don't give a damn what shop you took the car too! Check the bolts and retorque them to confirm they are tight!

Check your side skirts...Do you have a broken mount? Missing plastic pin?

Is there any difference for the rear knuckle? My Contour has the 9" inch drums, so i'm not sure what you kids with your SVT's have. If maybe there is a loose castle nut hiding under a nut cap? How are your wheel bearings? I knows its pretty easy to pick up on a failing front wheel bearing, but i'm not so sure about the rear. Do you have excessive wheel play with the car in the air?

Go get em brother! :laugh:

Back