• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wires in the trunk

ford4life

Veteran CEG'er
So i have the wires no idea what they are for.

I know the last owner had a amp back there.

PICT0043-1.jpg

PICT0044-2.jpg

any idea??

If he had an amp back there, they're probably connected to either the front or rear door speakers.

So i have the wires no idea what they are for.

I know the last owner had a amp back there.

PICT0043-1.jpg

PICT0044-2.jpg

any idea??

Umm... That for 1 looks like some grade of phone line... and my guess would be they had a 4-channel back there.... check the factory amp location or the pillars, I bet they are run to one or the other...

Just a thought...but are you sure none of them are going to a hot 12v source???? If they are truly just speaker wires, you should not have anything to worry about...but if one of them is a hot power wire, or even a switched power wire....you could be asking for a short somewhere. If it were me, I'd be tracing them back to the source just to make sure. Again, just a thought....but I would hate to read a post where your electrical system had a meltdown!!

looks like dual conductor home audio in-wall speaker cable to me. As stated before probably ran from a 4 channel amp to the door speakers. Do your speakers work now? The fact that one of the channels in each wire has been taped off is confusing. Check the fuse panel and the battery to make sure the previous owner wasnt a moron. I would say just follow it and remove it all.

Well first off I would say get atleast a testlight if not a multimeter and start looking to see if you have any live wires. chances are he did just run to door speakers but I still wouldn't want any live wire back there. Could also just be a highlevel input for the amp. I have seen some dumb :censored::censored::censored::censored:s use speaker wire for powering there amp.

looks like dual conductor home audio in-wall speaker cable to me. As stated before probably ran from a 4 channel amp to the door speakers. Do your speakers work now? The fact that one of the channels in each wire has been taped off is confusing. Check the fuse panel and the battery to make sure the previous owner wasnt a moron. I would say just follow it and remove it all.

Yeah the speakers work now.

that is the amplifier bypass harness (with the purple, green, white and grey wires). So yes, it looks like those were the wires running between the amplifier and the speakers. So if you have sound now, it sounds like he just plugged the factory amp behind the glove box back in and left the bypass there all wired up. No harm in removing it if you dont want it, otherwise you can use it if you want to amplify your speakers with an amp in the trunk.

Correct, look in the Audio FAQ at the top of the audio forums, there is a post in there from me on how to bypass the factory amp. It looks like most of the work is done for you. All you would have to do is
1- get an aftermarket radio
2- hook up the RCA cables (looks like those are there for you already as well)
3- wire up the amp
4- drop the glove box (see the FAQ)
5- unplug the ouput harness from the bottom of the factory amp (see FAQ)
6- plug that pre-wired bypass harness that you have into the output harness.

and your done!

Correct, look in the Audio FAQ at the top of the audio forums, there is a post in there from me on how to bypass the factory amp. It looks like most of the work is done for you. All you would have to do is
1- get an aftermarket radio
2- hook up the RCA cables (looks like those are there for you already as well)
3- wire up the amp
4- drop the glove box (see the FAQ)
5- unplug the ouput harness from the bottom of the factory amp (see FAQ)
6- plug that pre-wired bypass harness that you have into the output harness.

and your done!

I am bypassed the factory amp allready. i did it when i baught my new radio.

ok, then all you have to do is wire up an amp and either disconnect output wires from your radio or shut off the radios amp (if it has that option).

I wonder who did the wiring in that car? I know it had a 4 channel Eclipse amp on the back of the rear pass side seat when it had a Double Din Nav built into it.

Back