• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

6 Speed Contour

im fairly certain it wouldnt just bolt in, the SVT focus tranny is very differant than the normal focus 5 speed, its desinged by Getrag, a company out of germany. It might go in a Zetec contour, but id bet youd need a lot of custom work done.

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=17608

Searching

If you've been a member of CEG for more than 1.5 seconds, you've likely heard someone say "SEARCH MORE", or something similar. Let's understand how this works. We've been compiling information, in the form of how-to walk throughs, troubleshooting tips, and information for 6+ YEARS. You can rest assured that nearly each and every problem that you are experiencing has happened before. It may not have the exact mileage, or the exact same color paint as your car.. but the variant of the problem is still the same. We have several location to "search" for information.
  • You can search the main site (www.contour.org) on the left tab under "common problems" or "frequently asked questions"
  • You can search the current forums by clicking on the "search" link on the top bar of any forum.
  • You can search the "old forums" (the forum software we used until the merge to VBulletin, at (www.contour.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php) then clicking "search" at the top of the page. Be sure to select "all dates" under the date range, since no posts have occured over there for some months. Choose the individual forum you think your answer would be found in, as well.
  • search the "archives" which are the oldest forums, used before the forums that were mentioned above. You can access the archives from the MAIN site (contour.org) then on the top left of the page is a link. You can also click here (http://www.contour.org/archive/ubbthreads.php)
Why search instead of asking right away? One reason would be to avoid the bashing you are likely to receive. The SECOND (and most important) reason would be that in the time it takes for you to type out a COHERENT post about your problem, you can read all of your search results, find the answer and be on the way out the door to FIX IT before someone can reply to your problem (possibly with no helpful information and just bashing you for not searching! :) )

Last edited:
I promise you, they're completely different. The MTX-75 is just fine.

they've both been on long enough to catch references to old posts where people have talked about 6 speeds. I havent been a member here that long and even I have heard about Terry Haines old 6 speed project.

Who cares if Ive been on long enough to have possibly seen it. If its something that has been discussed before why dont people just help the guy or ignore him?? If your all about saving time by searching the old posts then why dont you save yourself time and ignore a post you dont want to respond too. Sorry if I sound like an a$$, I just really dont get why people get mad at this.

they've both been on long enough to catch references to old posts where people have talked about 6 speeds. I havent been a member here that long and even I have heard about Terry Haines old 6 speed project.

Unfortunately, the old forums are down and this is stickied at the top because its such a frequently asked question. I'm sure its been asked in the new forums too. Bottom line, the Getrag 6 speed is very week and it doesnt have the same bellhousing. I think its rated for about 220 wtq or something close.

EDIT: I decided to run a search for "Focus 6 speed"

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=11319&highlight=focus+speed

Last edited:
LOL, and that post even has the flaming for the same thing. God Bless people like us with way to much time on our hands

Unfortunately, the old forums are down and this is stickied at the top because its such a frequently asked question. I'm sure its been asked in the new forums too. Bottom line, the Getrag 6 speed is very week and it doesnt have the same bellhousing. I think its rated for about 220 wtq or something close.

EDIT: I decided to run a search for "Focus 6 speed"

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=11319&highlight=focus+speed

Well to those of you who didn't harrass me, thank you for your input.. I appreciate it. I just saw a 6 speed SVT Focus tranny on ebay and it looked similar to mine so I got to thinking...

the reason you get flamed for not searching before asking is because it clutters up the forums with useless crap, and people get tired of having to explain the same thing over and over again. go to fordcontour.org and ask terry haines about the 6 speed. He has tried it, he would be able to give you more information than most anyone.

Anyways, as you saw, it wasnt hard to find the answer by searching.

Back