• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Well I got my buddy's flare tool and I'm just not happy with how the flares are turning out and how the clamp is mangling the lines. So I bought myself one of those professional tools that Eastwood had rebranded by KD tools... should do the job nicely. That said I have to wait for these darn female bubble flare fittings. Not a single auto parts store or a hardware store had the little turds. Everyone and their mom has male bubble flare ends, but not female ends :mad:

p30179b.jpg

Here's a pic I saw demonstrating what I'm talking about.

200801025.jpg

It looks hard to make bubble flares. I diddn't know if I could make them with my flare tool. I just bought the flare adapters at my autoparts store. then I made all the rest of them as double flares.

It looks hard to make bubble flares. I diddn't know if I could make them with my flare tool. I just bought the flare adapters at my autoparts store. then I made all the rest of them as double flares.

Nothing is hard when you have the right tool. I made replacement rear brake lines for my 97 Civic using a rental flaring tool from O'Reilly's Auto Parts and it does the job, but you have to be careful and patient with it though. In the end the finished product you get from those dual clamp/turn flare tools seem to be sub par. I didn't care as long as it worked on my Civic, but for this car I want it done right.

Well the 02 Cougar bracket should be here Friday, which is the same time my brake tool is supposed to come in too ;)

Haha! The Cougar alternator bracket works! I can use a straight port 1/2" NPT to -10 AN adapter and it clears the bracket. I'll have to remove a little bit of material to allow the fitting to clear the bracket, but it WILL work. Wow.. that took way longer to resolve then I had hoped. Now I just need to find these dang female double flare brake line fittings.

More good news! An R&D mechanic at work knew a guy that knew a place that had these stupid female tube nuts. Just for reference....

Female SAE Flare tube nut - M10 x 1mm thread for 3/16"/4.75mm brake line, Brake Equip p/n BQ9175

I'm getting them Brake & Equipment Warehouse (www.brakeplace.com) for $2.04 a piece, which is a local store here in Minneapolis, MN. They can be had on-line for $1.52 at Brake Connect, HERE

Wow... that is all I have to say about that Eastwood brake flaring tool. Well worth the money. Perfect flares every time. My new lines turned out perfect. I installed the lines going from the rear up to the ABS module tonight. Should have the rear lines and new shift cables in tomorrow morning.

Brake lines are all in, also took the time to swap out the shift cables. Gotta say they are kind of a bear to get out.

*gets everything all together....starts it up.....forgets to put oil into the engine*

haha i remember that happening in NECO with someone doing a zetec turbo build, luckily he didnt do any damage

cant wait to see this car running :)

Yup things are coming along. Christmas is coming a little early. I placed the order for my Aeromotive 16306 fuel pump controller, Energy Suspension greasable sway bar bushings, Whitline sway bar lateral locks, Hawk HPS rear pads, and the Accel tach adapter needed for the pump controller. Should be here next week.

Last edited:
haha i remember that happening in NECO with someone doing a zetec turbo build, luckily he didnt do any damage

cant wait to see this car running :)

lol! i did the same thing. i was scared ••••less that i would hear a rod knock the first test drive, but nothing. thank God.

i ran it for about 5 minutes without oil

Im curious to see how many hundreds if not thousands of hours you have spent on this thread.

Im curious to see how many hundreds if not thousands of hours you have spent on this thread.

Yea, I find myself in here every time I'm waiting on something for the car. Or in this case I'm on vacation, just woke up, and eating breakfast ;)

Yea, I find myself in here every time I'm waiting on something for the car. Or in this case I'm on vacation, just woke up, and eating breakfast ;)

hahah i've been checking this thread every weekend since april of 2011 :lol:

Well here are some pics of the brake lines installed. I'm quite happy with how they turned out. Although I need to find some new line clamps as the OEM plastic ones that threaded on are stripped and cracked. I was able to reuse the engine bay ones by using tie straps, but the (red) ones underneath won't thread on and are worthless.

imag0536o.jpg

imag0538r.jpg

New Cougar alternator bracket for the win. $29.19 from Tousley Ford p/n: XS2Z-10A313-BA. Using a 45° -10AN to 1/2" NPT adapter and a 135° -10AN fitting looks like it will allow me to plumb in the Accusump to the correct port on the block. I'm not sure if the 135° fitting is going to work once I get the alternator and belt installed, but I do have a spare 90°, 45°, and a straight -10AN fittings to fall back on once I receive the alternator and can do a test fit.

imag0547h.jpg
imag0544.jpg

imag0545k.jpg
imag0542z.jpg

Back