• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

325WHP on a stock Zetec.

But now that we're all on the same page, are there any vids of all these street-tired, street-suspension ZETEC Foci running 12's? That's one hell of an accomplishment in a front-drive platform... and with THAT engine. Surely there are some on YouTube? Linky?

There are plenty of timeslips.

I gotta question ANYONE'S claim of 700 HP on one of these engines. I've seen the inside of them and the block won't take it, there's not enough bearing support. Have also been around many engines that made reliable 700 hp, it's enough to run in the eights and 155 MPH quarter. That's lightyears away from 12's. Somebody needs to check that dyno out, wouldn't be the first time a dyno errored. You can get into the elevens with 350 HP and good hookup, but that power has to be REAL.

exactly, Toms time was an 11.88 at 123MPH. definitely not indicative of 700WHP. everything else that goes through is dyno is more reasonable, except that one 700WHP run that he claims was a Focus, although he has not shown any proof what so ever.

I gotta question ANYONE'S claim of 700 HP on one of these engines. I've seen the inside of them and the block won't take it, there's not enough bearing support. Have also been around many engines that made reliable 700 hp, it's enough to run in the eights and 155 MPH quarter. That's lightyears away from 12's. Somebody needs to check that dyno out, wouldn't be the first time a dyno errored. You can get into the elevens with 350 HP and good hookup, but that power has to be REAL.

Billet main caps custom tappets custom billet crank you obviously don't know much about his car. It could be a dyno queen but everything is speculation till we find out more. If the community embraced him more maybe we would know more...when I go down to visit my cousins I plan on making a stop to his shop to meet him if he will allow.

everything is speculation till we find out more.
Didn't this infamous run happen years ago? I swear I remember reading about it when I was driving MY Zetec Focus five years ago. How long does it take to "find out more about something"? If I remember correctly, he never said it was a Zetec engine... hell, I don't even think he confirmed that it was a four-banger. Personally, I remember speculating that it was a rear-drive, V8 swap... if the run was actually legit.

Heres one thing that IS fact, no matter where turbotoms name is posted...a multipage thread full of bickering WILL ensue :laugh:

Notice I said 'one of these engines'. I used to port heads and build drag cars for a living. No blown, just normal aspirated and some nitrous. Have been crew on 720+ inch fat block Chevy that ran sevens @200+. 1200+ HP with 3 stage nitrous. Got to play with 450 inch SBC, 460 and Boss 302 Ford, 440 and true 426 Hemi. American Motors (AMC49!) 395 inch motors that ran in the high nines @ 140. 700 HP is simply not true, don't flog it, somebody's sadly mistaken. In my experience, most people have a heart attack if taken on a ride in a ten second car.

My younger brother had a beat up '68 AMX that we did the street racing with. Car Had Isky hydro cam with only .010" more lift than stock, well used 406" motor from an Oklahoma State Patrol car. We lucked out, it had a good rebore job with forged pistons (8.5/1 compression!)in it. Car would run all day long 12.00-12.20s, motor making maybe true 375 horse if we were lucky. We could re-motor in one evening up to 12.5/1, 324 degree .640" lift cam. Still single 4 BBL. That engine could bust off 10.60-.70s @ 130 mph through the mufflers but with small drag slicks. Drove it around on the street like that, full bodied car, weight 3250. Didn't need dyno to lie, just pull it up to the line and reality takes over.............you have no idea how embarrassing it can be for one of the big three to get beat by a RAMBLER, and most of those other engines were quite a bit bigger than ours.

The 700 Hp numbers based on this real world car. AMC Hornet pro stocker, 368 inch motor, dynoed 739 HP @ 9000 rpm. Ran 8.70s @ 150-155 mph, back in '74. I got to tear down engine and expose all her secrets.

last time i checked thats because im the only one who has really put enough money into one to make it possible, and even then i never had a chance to run it at a track and see what it could do (my fault as i should have chosen different pistons). Thats because most everyone on here is all "Zetec sucks, Duratec rules". seeing as the Focus guys are making just as much power from the Zetec as the Turbo 3L guys, and they are hitting 12s, the Duratec fan boys have no room to talk. :p:p:p:p:p

The Zetec does suck, and I don't own any duratec motors anymore.

That is really nuts. Especially when you sit down a do the math...

An excellent stock Zetec would probably be 150HP at the crank. 125HP at the wheels with very low loss. That means that he was pushing 24psi of boost. WOW.

I couldn't see the stock rods and main caps taking that for more than a few pulls.

...looks at GT2860R turbo collecting dust on workbench... Someday it'll happen!!!

BP

I just don't understand why people think the Zetec is a boat anchor. It has an enormous aftermarket, a very strong bottom end, and a great selection of heads to let it all flow. On top of all that, longevity stands out as it's best trait beyond them all.

I see the Zetec 4cyl and the Duratec 6cyl on level planes. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. While I see the engines as pretty much even, I do see the Zetec as a much quicker combination for the CDW27 chassis. It's just too bad that most of the enthusiasts are engine snobs. :shrug:

I just don't understand why people think the Zetec is a boat anchor. It has an enormous aftermarket, a very strong bottom end, and a great selection of heads to let it all flow. On top of all that, longevity stands out as it's best trait beyond them all.

I see the Zetec 4cyl and the Duratec 6cyl on level planes. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. While I see the engines as pretty much even, I do see the Zetec as a much quicker combination for the CDW27 chassis. It's just too bad that most of the enthusiasts are engine snobs. :shrug:

Both motors have an enormous amount of potential. I find it very amusing that most of fords current engine lineup owes it's existance to the red headed stepchild of FoMoCo. It's really a shame ford didn't do a better job marketing our cars,think where they would be now if they had.

Back