• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

car wont start

dannimarieiro

CEG'er
ok when i turn the key to the on position all the lights light up but when i try to turn it over it doesnt do anything but the lights get brighter ..it wont even click is it the starter or somethign else??

flywheel teeth (probably not)/starter/wires to the starter/relevant fuse/relay. check them in reverse order

edit: also maybe an electrical problem w/ the ignition/lock cylinder

Clutch positioning sensor? Make sure no carpet is in the way or anything when you press down on the clutch.

If the starter is not running, check the batt. voltage by starting the engine.
This will show you if the starter tries to spin, if the voltage is the same, check
the magnetic switch inside the starter.
I thing it is a GY/BK wire.

Does your car have an alarm? I left my keys in the ignition in the ON position over night (bad short term memory) and came out to a dead battery... I jumped the car for 5 minutes and did not even get a click from the starter, but everything else was working... I then remembered that my alarm cuts out the ignition when it is on, so I tried arming/disarming it with the remote and it did nothing... I unhooked the jumper cables and disconnected the alarm from the battery... Then when I got back in the car and tried to start it again it fired right up... I still do not know why my alarm would not work though, LOL :shrug:

Does your car have an alarm? I left my keys in the ignition in the ON position over night (bad short term memory) and came out to a dead battery... I jumped the car for 5 minutes and did not even get a click from the starter, but everything else was working... I then remembered that my alarm cuts out the ignition when it is on, so I tried arming/disarming it with the remote and it did nothing... I unhooked the jumper cables and disconnected the alarm from the battery... Then when I got back in the car and tried to start it again it fired right up... I still do not know why my alarm would not work though, LOL :shrug:

i have the stock alarm:shrug: what wire is the alarm wire??

It would help if you EXACTLY identified which of your vehicles you are working on.....

Assuming a 99 CVST with factory PATS system:

1. Verify that PATS is properly proving out at power-up. If it doesn't, the starter motor is disabled and the car won't crank.

2. If PATS is proving out properly, the PCM outputs a signal that, in series with the clutch interlock switch, the starter diode, and the ignition switch, allows the starter relay (in the under-hood power box) to energize. When the starter relay energizes, battery power is directed to the starter motor to engage it and to crank the motor.

Evaluate the fault in a logical order and you should be able to identify and repair it easily.

Steve

It would help if you EXACTLY identified which of your vehicles you are working on.....

Assuming a 99 CVST with factory PATS system:

1. Verify that PATS is properly proving out at power-up. If it doesn't, the starter motor is disabled and the car won't crank.

2. If PATS is proving out properly, the PCM outputs a signal that, in series with the clutch interlock switch, the starter diode, and the ignition switch, allows the starter relay (in the under-hood power box) to energize. When the starter relay energizes, battery power is directed to the starter motor to engage it and to crank the motor.

Evaluate the fault in a logical order and you should be able to identify and repair it easily.

Steve

did that still nothign???

did that still nothign???

did what still nothing???

see? it doesn't help you, either, when our replies are three or four words.

What did you do? What did you try? HOW did you try it? What symptoms do you get when you try? Is there anything that you try that CHANGES the symptoms you are getting at ANY time...

All of the responses in this thread have outlined (from start to finish) the entire starting circuit and you reply to ALL of them with "did that still nothing"... The thing is, you've replied that way to everything that is involved with starting a car... Starting to not make sense here, is it?

Take a moment to compose yourself and a reply, let us know what you've tried, specifically, and in which order and a list of symptoms with each try.. We'll help you all we can, but you have to give us something to go on, here.

did what still nothing???

see? it doesn't help you, either, when our replies are three or four words.

What did you do? What did you try? HOW did you try it? What symptoms do you get when you try? Is there anything that you try that CHANGES the symptoms you are getting at ANY time...

All of the responses in this thread have outlined (from start to finish) the entire starting circuit and you reply to ALL of them with "did that still nothing"... The thing is, you've replied that way to everything that is involved with starting a car... Starting to not make sense here, is it?

Take a moment to compose yourself and a reply, let us know what you've tried, specifically, and in which order and a list of symptoms with each try.. We'll help you all we can, but you have to give us something to go on, here.

sorry about the 4 word answers ill explain myself just ive been working like crazy lately alot of overtime so it was hard to make time to try and fix the car

but the car is a 1999 ford contour svt with about 180,000 kms
my brother was driving it and he said it started to make a clicking sounds coming from the passenger side (it sounded like soemthing moving in there) and then 2 days later as he was coming home it just died on him in the middle of the road and would not start back up

when i put the car onto the on position all the lights come on normal and the pats system is working properly but when you go to start it ,it wont even click over but all the lights get brighter

pluged in my obo 2 reader and it gives me 0 codes
checked the battery on the volt meter and it says 18 volts and does not even move when i tried starting the car
checked all the fuse there all good
check fuel pump it is almost new about 16,000kms
new fuel filter 2,000kms
checked spark plugs and wires but there not new6,000kms
its got gas about 1/4 of a tank
battery wires are all cleaned and look good
interior lights all work ,turn signals,headlights,windows,radio all of it works the only problem is the engine wont click over

and right now the UIM and LIM are off because im cleanin them out and looking for anything out of place

im kinda thinking that the engine is seized
and im gonna try to bypass jumper cables to the starter and see if it will click

18 volts is unusually high for a 12v battery to be putting out... I'd pull it out and have it tested. Usually lights get dimmer when you try starting a car. Try just turning the car over by hand, it's not difficult just turn the crankshaft bolt clockwise. Or try pop starting the car (ignition on let the clutch out in gear with the car rolling) If the tires lock up you have bigger problems.

Back