• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.5 Swap

The problem is, there wont be more people doing it. I'd say if this one does happen to be pulled off, it will probably be the only one since not all of us have $20K+ to drop a 3.5L in.

FWIW, I hope its getting a rwd conversion too. People have already reached the traction limits of a 3.0L.

$20k??? You must be smoking some really good stuff. I looked on car-parts.com and found 2 engines within 80 miles of my house from MKZ's for under $1500... and they both had low miles with one being around 3,400 miles.

The deal with this project is the time that will need to be invested to modify wiring.

It might be one day an easy swap.

When i first joined hardly anyone had a 3L

Maybe 12. Now they are thrown around in cars like no tomorrow. Heck with reebs and scott combined they have thrown out over 10 in one year.

The availability of the 3L and the continued efforts by many people have made the 3L much easier over the years. The same can be done for the 3.5 over time. To count it out already sounds very much like the original few that said the same thing about putting in a 3L.

$20k??? You must be smoking some really good stuff. I looked on car-parts.com and found 2 engines within 80 miles of my house from MKZ's for under $1500... and they both had low miles with one being around 3,400 miles.

The deal with this project is the time that will need to be invested to modify wiring.

I'm not talking about $20K to buy an engine. I'm talking at least $20K to make it work. You already hit the nail on the head with the wiring. Drivetrain will be an issue. Custom axles will probably be needed. Custom engine mounts, larger radiator, etc. It's really hard to say without diving into it, but I guarantee its far from just a bolt in.

The problem is, there wont be more people doing it. I'd say if this one does happen to be pulled off, it will probably be the only one since not all of us have $20K+ to drop a 3.5L in.

FWIW, I hope its getting a rwd conversion too. People have already reached the traction limits of a 3.0L.

I agree, why bother with the 3.5 when a FI 3L makes more power than usable on this chassis. I would love to tackle a rwd project, and with my mustang sold that ties up a lot of time and money and garage space...........................................

I agree, why bother with the 3.5 when a FI 3L makes more power than usable on this chassis. I would love to tackle a rwd project, and with my mustang sold that ties up a lot of time and money and garage space...........................................

Well a NA 3.5 would be nice since you were running NA and wouldn't need to worry about going FI. and you could hit almost 280-290 with all the bolt ons aftwards:shrug:

Well a NA 3.5 would be nice since you were running NA and wouldn't need to worry about going FI. and you could hit almost 280-290 with all the bolt ons aftwards:shrug:

Exactly what I was thinking from when I started reading this thread. I think by the time TH gets this done with this and others start toying with it, it will probably cost about the same as going FI'd on a 2.5, maybe less?

Exactly what I was thinking from when I started reading this thread. I think by the time TH gets this done with this and others start toying with it, it will probably cost about the same as going FI'd on a 2.5, maybe less?

I believe the TH project is going to be put in a ZX3........

Well, I really would like to see a 3.5L in a car, and I hope he does it, but the DAMB 3.0L he was working on apparently never worked out for reasons I don't know . . . Hopefully the 3.5L swap project doesn't meet a similar fate.

I love it to be done and I am sure it can but guys I will talk about this from first hand experience with custom parts it isn't cheap at all. The wiring harness, PCM, fuel managment, custom axles, custom mounts, cutting away from your car to make it fit new hoses bigger just the mods will be over $3000 not including the engine I will be it can be done for less 10k with supporting mods plus you will need to adapt some headers etc. And the statement it will be cheaper then turbo kit no way I can sell you a non-intercooled kit that will put down 240whp with 220wtq for $2k and bolt right up to a stock 2.5 heck I could sell you the same kit drop a 3 liter motor in there and get 300 whp for less then $5k with supporting mods. Now I like the neat factor but remember I can make you over 350whp on a stock 3 liter and turbo kit for less then 5k where you grip is another language to you. I am not against it and maybe one day we will drop the price close to 3k for the swap but I can't see it getting cheaper than that. Joey

Well, I really would like to see a 3.5L in a car, and I hope he does it, but the DAMB 3.0L he was working on apparently never worked out for reasons I don't know . . . Hopefully the 3.5L swap project doesn't meet a similar fate.

DAMB??

reaching into the wayback machine of CEG.... didnt sho-shop list a 3.5L swap a long long time ago on their site? I remember it saying somewhere that they did do one of them but eventually never offered it due to the cost.

best of luck to TH and his crew on this but I'm with burrita on this with whats the point.

DAMB??

reaching into the wayback machine of CEG.... didnt sho-shop list a 3.5L swap a long long time ago on their site? I remember it saying somewhere that they did do one of them but eventually never offered it due to the cost.

best of luck to TH and his crew on this but I'm with burrita on this with whats the point.

Direct Acting Mechanical Bucket = DAMB. The version of the duratec used in the Jaguars and in the LS used DAMB instead of the roller finger followers (RFF) that our more pedestrian 3.0Ls use.

IIRC Sho-Shop had a 3.2L duratec listed, but I'm not sure if they ever even built one.

Direct Acting Mechanical Bucket = DAMB. The version of the duratec used in the Jaguars and in the LS used DAMB instead of the roller finger followers (RFF) that our more pedestrian 3.0Ls use.

durp, I knew that....

and forcing me to search and yes, when I spoke with them, they did say they made ONE.
"We are currently in development on a 3.5L powerplant for the Contour SVT/Cougar at this time.
Engine is now in design/mock-up stages as we speak. We plan on introducing the 3.5L to the
public as soon as early Spring ’03. To confirm all rumors, the engine will be treated to a larger
bore and longer stroke. Estimated power output should be similar in our Taurus SHO 3.6L in the 250-260HP
range at the wheels! We plan on introducing a long block, complete with camshafts and other goodies,
with the possibility of a short block arriving shortly thereafter. Shown below is a Dyno chart of our projected
HP output of the Contour SVT 3.5L"

durp, I knew that....

and forcing me to search and yes, when I spoke with them, they did say they made ONE.
"We are currently in development on a 3.5L powerplant for the Contour SVT/Cougar at this time.
Engine is now in design/mock-up stages as we speak. We plan on introducing the 3.5L to the
public as soon as early Spring ’03. To confirm all rumors, the engine will be treated to a larger
bore and longer stroke. Estimated power output should be similar in our Taurus SHO 3.6L in the 250-260HP
range at the wheels! We plan on introducing a long block, complete with camshafts and other goodies,
with the possibility of a short block arriving shortly thereafter. Shown below is a Dyno chart of our projected
HP output of the Contour SVT 3.5L"
That sounds more like a stroker + slight bore increase. Not the actual new 3.5L (which probably wasn't announced back in 2003).

That sounds more like a stroker + slight bore increase. Not the actual new 3.5L (which probably wasn't announced back in 2003).

I'd assume that is pretty obvious.

Even if this does become an option for us or not. I think his efforts are there to try something others have only spoken about.

I'm cheering him to finish this projoect either way.

megasquirt would have no issues w/the vct system. its a full standalone(can be piggy backed as well)

Considering that MS currently does not support VCT, Direct Injection, Throttle by Wire or Sequential Injection (coming soon), and that even COP requires hardware hacks to accomplish, I am going to disagree with your statement and say that although upcoming MS developments will make the MS capable of managing some of these systems, others are purposely blacklisted for liability reasons.

Back