• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Diff replacement costs

well does it drive or not? You can get a new aftermarket diff that won't break again for around $700, not sure how much the shop will charge you to install it though, I'd guess about 500 to install.

well does it drive or not? You can get a new aftermarket diff that won't break again for around $700, not sure how much the shop will charge you to install it though, I'd guess about 500 to install.

Im not sure what Terry Haines rates are these days. But he'll replace as much as you want in your trans for a labor cost of about $350. That was a couple years ago, so I dont know what he charges today.

Well its just a guess right now but it is def something with the transaxle. Heres what happend:

I was driving on the highway ( cruise set ) when I heard a sound that sounded like i ran over a small rock, about a min later it happend again; real small sound, then again, again then bam then spin sound. Could not go into 4th or 3rd, pull off the side of the road. Called the tow truck, while it was on its way I try to move the car again, I was able to move the car, barely, in first gear then when i got about a tire rotation i heard clank clank so i stopped. Tow truck got there and when it was being loaded I could see tranny fluid and maybe some oil, i was pissed so i just got in the truck. I dropped it off at a local automotive place just to get it checked out and they still havent gotten back to me. My guess is the diff because I have had no problem with the car before this, it has 76k on it and i was able to move in first gear slightly, its just a guess i may be wrong as i am not that mechically inclined. Any help would be great.

If it is in fact your diff, dont put a stocker back in there, get a torsen or quaife and you wont have to worry anymore.

That was the plan, where would be the best place to go for the torsen; i see that nautilus has the quaife for 660 or something like that

Then go with that, I got my Torsen for $599.00 from the now closed spmotorsports. but Torsens are hard to fine. Nautilus would be the way to go for it I would think, the Torsen has better torque biasing but not by much, but the Quaife has a lifetime warantee.

Good luck - I got my Torsen fro Steve @ Tousley Ford. WHen I blew up my diff I drove it a couple of blocks (thought it was a cv from the nature of the sound and how it happened - I just managed to shear off all the teeth from the spider gears - they all stayed in the carrier)

Its fact, ask anyone here. I did alot of research when I was buying my Torsen. I think its cause of the warantee the quaife is more but I cant be 100% sure.

why don't you just get them from them? I placed an order with them last week for control arms, and they were easy to deal with.

i got my torsen from a place called victory racing in livonia michigan, like 620 i think, but i called a local dealership and they said 575 out the door for a torsen. this was about a month or two ago so you can find them still at dealerships, but it was a 2 day wait

Back