• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

253whp / 223 tq

Great numbers for sure, but they are just numbers. The proof would be on the strip or track to verify that the dyno isn't a "happy dyno". We see happy dynos in the drag racing world all the time, they show high HP but the MPH on the track doesn't reflect it.

A stock 3.0 with just SVT and an intake which flows about the same as an Escape one and it picks up 50 HP ? I would venture a guess that Ford would want to talk to your tuner if this is really the correct HP>

Teebs on here was on the same dyno with a full 05 3L with 3L cams and put out 208whp, 204ft/lbs, same tuner...same dyno. I think you can rule out the happy dyno theory.

True but a quick search on the Capaldi final drive says that it's a 4.5 FD. That provides a ~10.8% mechanical advantage over the standard 4.06 final drive. If you calculate the HP/TQ based on the gearing change (so we're comparing apples to apples here) it'd be more like 228HP/201TQ.

Teebs on here was on the same dyno with a full 05 3L with 3L cams and put out 208whp, 204ft/lbs, same tuner...same dyno. I think you can rule out the happy dyno theory.

No, the dyno is still suspect. Where is the proof that the dyno was in proper calibration at the exact time the tuning was done?

Furthermore, this specific result is so far beyond what anybody else has documented for similar builds that you must immediately question the dyno equipment (common sense).

I for one am not buying the 253 Hp output claim (for now).

The car should be taken to a different dyno (possibly two) and do a few pulls. If the other dynos show higher than standard outputs seen on other people's builds, then I will become a believer.

No, the dyno is still suspect. Where is the proof that the dyno was in proper calibration at the exact time the tuning was done?

Furthermore, this specific result is so far beyond what anybody else has documented for similar builds that you must immediately question the dyno equipment (common sense).

The car should be taken to a different dyno (possibly two) and do a few pulls. If the other dynos show higher than standard outputs seen on other people's builds, then I will become a believer.

then give him a 50 bill and have him go dyno it somewhere else...it aint free:rolleyes:

Yeah, because Steeda is such a podunk shop

he has only himself to prove is just what i was trying to say. he doesnt have to go out and do more dyno runs because somebody doesnt beleive

True but a quick search on the Capaldi final drive says that it's a 4.5 FD. That provides a ~10.8% mechanical advantage over the standard 4.06 final drive. If you calculate the HP/TQ based on the gearing change (so we're comparing apples to apples here) it'd be more like 228HP/201TQ.

Is this pretty accurate? I assumed it would be this way but wasn't sure.

I fully agree and refuse to accept those numbers unless I borrow Mani's car for a month (at least) and get it dyno'd locally.

Ok, well maybe not. I can see your point... I suppose I'd want to double check my #'s if they were so much higher than other similar builds.

Is this pretty accurate? I assumed it would be this way but wasn't sure.

Sure is, that right there is some very basic physics. That puts his HP numbers at the high-end of most 3L builds we see here which we would expect based on the SVT cams, true dual exhaust and st220 intakes. The torque is probably lower than expected based on the use of SVT cams which were designed to be run on split port intakes so while they do work and produce good HP numbers they aren't exactly ideal for an oval port engine and it shows in the low(er) torque numbers.

Here's a link with some explanations and calculations... http://craig.backfire.ca/pages/autos/horsepower

Sure is, that right there is some very basic physics. That puts his HP numbers at the high-end of most 3L builds we see here which we would expect based on the SVT cams, true dual exhaust and st220 intakes. The torque is probably lower than expected based on the use of SVT cams which were designed to be run on split port intakes so while they do work and produce good HP numbers they aren't exactly ideal for an oval port engine and it shows in the low(er) torque numbers.

Here's a link with some explanations and calculations... http://craig.backfire.ca/pages/autos/horsepower

But wouldn't that mean they have to input the ratio for every different car they put on the dyno? Given that, how do you know they didn't input the correct final drive? They'd also have to account for which gear the pull was made in, size of the tire etc... I'm not sure this is correct.

It all makes sense with the 4.5 in there since 228whp sounds more reasonable. Either way he is still putting 253hp to the ground which is pretty impressive.

But wouldn't that mean they have to input the ratio for every different car they put on the dyno? Given that, how do you know they didn't input the correct final drive? They'd also have to account for which gear the pull was made in, size of the tire etc... I'm not sure this is correct.

Not exactly... The dyno is going to be measuring the horsepower and torque that the car is putting to the ground. If they were going to calculate Brake or Crank horsepower that would be a different story. Dyno pulls should be made in 4th gear as well as this is the closest to a 1:1 gear ratio you will get (IIRC it's 1.03:1 in the MTX-75). Thinking about it, I suppose tire size could have an impact as well. I suppose the assumption there is that you are running a stock (or very close) size.

It all makes sense with the 4.5 in there since 228whp sounds more reasonable. Either way he is still putting 253hp to the ground which is pretty impressive.

I completely agree that Mani made some great numbers! We just need to keep in mind that some of that definitely came from the FDR change and the calculations I made were just to help put it into perspective what kind of power he would be making with a stock FDR. :)

I completely agree that Mani made some great numbers! We just need to keep in mind that some of that definitely came from the FDR change and the calculations I made were just to help put it into perspective what kind of power he would be making with a stock FDR. :)

Exactly. That FDR is going to make a pretty big difference, and 228whp sounds very accurate considering whats done to the engine. So forget about the "happy dyno" and not believing the numbers people.

Back