• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2000 SVT Contour Full 3L Install (the Beginning)

Full 3l Swap This Time Thought I'd Use The Same Thread.

Full 3l Swap This Time Thought I'd Use The Same Thread.

Starting a new 3L here are some pics of the car blown motor already disassembled.
Picture023.jpg

Engine Bay
Picture032.jpg

Junk in the Trunk
Picture028.jpg

Engine and Trans
Picture022.jpg

Interior Pics
Picture025.jpg

Picture030.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Exterior
Picture020.jpg

Picture021.jpg

So yeah got an 05 3L Escape engine I thought I might try a full 3L this time around. and now that the weather is better I'm hoping to make this one look a little better than the last one... but still stockish.... we'll see

First question is on mating the escape fuel rail to a return less fuel system have a few questions and a few idea on ho to mate it. I'm hoping that it is plug n play but I'm fearing that I will end up with two of the same ends and then that will be a pain... I'm also hoping that if I use the escape Mass Air Flow Sensor that I will be able to use the escape injectors with out a tune. any ways the junkyard is throwing it in for free so worth a try. Also I read somewhere I think it was on NECO that the exhaust manifolds on the escape were the same as the cougar which I assume is the same as the contour. So I'm hoping that some of this info is correct.. almost sounds to good to be true... but any how got the engine from the same place as the last 3L and it looks the same (no hood) but should be interesting

I have a 06' escape engine(parts) and the left exhaust manifold was still on it. It's different than the contour one. Wish they were the same.

I have a 06' escape engine(parts) and the left exhaust manifold was still on it. It's different than the contour one. Wish they were the same.

well what can I say I was hoping

come on it is suppose to be magic and just bolt in and plug in like magic..... j/k:crazy:

So yeah got an 05 3L Escape engine I thought I might try a full 3L this time around. and now that the weather is better I'm hoping to make this one look a little better than the last one... but still stockish.... we'll see

First question is on mating the escape fuel rail to a return less fuel system have a few questions and a few idea on ho to mate it. I'm hoping that it is plug n play but I'm fearing that I will end up with two of the same ends and then that will be a pain... I'm also hoping that if I use the escape Mass Air Flow Sensor that I will be able to use the escape injectors with out a tune. any ways the junkyard is throwing it in for free so worth a try. Also I read somewhere I think it was on NECO that the exhaust manifolds on the escape were the same as the cougar which I assume is the same as the contour. So I'm hoping that some of this info is correct.. almost sounds to good to be true... but any how got the engine from the same place as the last 3L and it looks the same (no hood) but should be interesting

Part of the reason the full 3L needs a tune is because the secondaries aren't present in the 3L lower intake. You need a lot of timing down low to make up for it or the car will be lacking power down low (almost 70wtq! in my experience).

The ECU has a table for your current MAF loaded in it. If you change MAF's you need to tune the car for that new MAF so swapping in a new MAF without a tune isn't a good idea.

wow another 3L swap? awesome man. LOVE the silver. reminds me of my silver camaro. so you will have 2 of these 3L monsters and im stuck with a 2L slow turd. what a difference it is going from a 600hp caged monster to a 130?hp 4 banger lol. im hoping sometime this summer i can sell this car and maybe get an csvt or im leaning towards a gtp... which im sure you will all frawn upon lol.

wow another 3L swap? awesome man. LOVE the silver. reminds me of my silver camaro. so you will have 2 of these 3L monsters and im stuck with a 2L slow turd. what a difference it is going from a 600hp caged monster to a 130?hp 4 banger lol. im hoping sometime this summer i can sell this car and maybe get an csvt or im leaning towards a gtp... which im sure you will all frawn upon lol.

Others may not frown it (GTP) but I'm a Ford man through and through. you should come over some time I can give you a ride in my 3L I think you may find it to your liking.... Lots of fun but still okay mileage still no 600hp monster but more than enough for the street I think I'm going to try a full 3L this time around gotta have a little variety

Part of the reason the full 3L needs a tune is because the secondaries aren't present in the 3L lower intake. You need a lot of timing down low to make up for it or the car will be lacking power down low (almost 70wtq! in my experience).

The ECU has a table for your current MAF loaded in it. If you change MAF's you need to tune the car for that new MAF so swapping in a new MAF without a tune isn't a good idea.

Thanks for the advice... I was afraid of that. well it looks like a tuning we will go......

Others may not frown it (GTP) but I'm a Ford man through and through. you should come over some time I can give you a ride in my 3L I think you may find it to your liking.... Lots of fun but still okay mileage still no 600hp monster but more than enough for the street I think I'm going to try a full 3L this time around gotta have a little variety

yeah i would love to go for a ride sometime. maybe when i have more free time, my 2 month old baby is hogging my time.

Thanks for the advice... I was afraid of that. well it looks like a tuning we will go......

You won't regret it. Plus this install will go alot quicker especially since your getting a tune. YOu might as well block off the egr passages. and cap off all the fittings.

Less hassel and head ache. :cool:

You won't regret it. Plus this install will go alot quicker especially since your getting a tune. YOu might as well block off the egr passages. and cap off all the fittings.

Less hassel and head ache. :cool:

says the expert..... how's that 3L install going Harry? I figure If I have a ported and a full you'll be able to decide......

yeah I expect the full escape to go a lot quicker 1 of the reasons I picked the engine even though it costs more. not too happy about the tune that is extra money....

says the expert..... how's that 3L install going Harry? I figure If I have a ported and a full you'll be able to decide......
I've driven both...:laugh: I like both....but i still don't know which one i want to go with...but i guess a full 3L would be the best choice overall.
Most power and a lot easier to do. I just don't know if i'll go with COPs or find a place to mount the coil pack.

05 Escape intake pics.... and 1 04 taurus for reference.

05 Escape intake pics.... and 1 04 taurus for reference.

I just compared the build dates of my two 3L engines the 04 taurus was 03-02-04 the 05 escape was 03-25-04 how ironic......

here are the intake pics they look different than the taurus stuff and IMHO much better....
05 ESCAPE
Picture037.jpg

Picture041.jpg

Picture040.jpg

Picture039.jpg

Picture038.jpg

04 TAURUS
Picture042.jpg

well any how we shall see how this shapes up as the escape intake is different than the typical taurus intake on full 3L but it may be a better intake and I like the way it looks better just concerned about the throtle cable position.... may not be able to work. luckily I have a taurus throttle body so maybe that will fix it I don't know...

I know the evap line is like right behind the iac, sticking up in a strange way, and im willing to be it will require a remote iac, but i know it's been done. idk if the mazda 6 uim is the same, but from what I understand, it's the best, and i plan for one in the future. that is unless joey can get that little blower project squared away first, tee hee

I heard that the interference is with the vacuum hoses coming out of the rear of the intake...

one of them has to be blocked off for sure. your IAC won't clear the hood. actually, i'm not sure the thing will clear a stock hood at all.

either way its a lot of work just to get maybe 1hp over the 05 taurus.

for all that pain, might as well fork out for a st220 mani

one of them has to be blocked off for sure. your IAC won't clear the hood. actually, i'm not sure the thing will clear a stock hood at all.

either way its a lot of work just to get maybe 1hp over the 05 taurus.

for all that pain, might as well fork out for a st220 mani

Or I think I'll just go ported 3L again my old friend

Back