• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

20% Tint pic request

Consider yourself lucky. I had to pull my newly applied tint off my two fronts and then go down to the Courthouse and show one of the officers. Stupid MI tint laws... :mad:

Well, when you have a Texas driver's license, and out of state plates, I really don't think that it was worth it to them. Plus, it's a Michigan law, and my cars are all registered in Texas, so technically they only have to conform to Texas's standards, of which I'm sure an MI state cop has no first hand knowledge of.

The great part is that I haven't gotten state inspection my stock SVT...ever, since it expired after I took it to MI in 2005, and it's a little hard to get a TX state inspection in MI. It has legal (to Texas) tint anyways. On my 3L I had to sign a waiver of self inspection to get it registered (since it was in MI when I registered it), and I never had bothered to get it inspected since I brought it back down because I was afraid it might not pass emissions, and I didn't feel like putting the different y-pipe and factory cat back on. No inspection sticker, no problem so far.

I know some local tint places that offer insurance, in case you get pulled over, forced to tear it off...then, take it back and they slap it on for free.

Better late than never to the party besides I feel like doing a little bit of whoring :laugh:

My 20's I think they're darker though :shrug: and hazed headlights for the fail

tukerpicts008.jpg

Well, when you have a Texas driver's license, and out of state plates, I really don't think that it was worth it to them. Plus, it's a Michigan law, and my cars are all registered in Texas, so technically they only have to conform to Texas's standards, of which I'm sure an MI state cop has no first hand knowledge of.

The great part is that I haven't gotten state inspection my stock SVT...ever, since it expired after I took it to MI in 2005, and it's a little hard to get a TX state inspection in MI. It has legal (to Texas) tint anyways. On my 3L I had to sign a waiver of self inspection to get it registered (since it was in MI when I registered it), and I never had bothered to get it inspected since I brought it back down because I was afraid it might not pass emissions, and I didn't feel like putting the different y-pipe and factory cat back on. No inspection sticker, no problem so far.

What are the tint laws in TX? It's kind of ridiculous how many people have tints down here. I guess it's not much of an issue in TX. In MI, cops are real anal about it, yet another reason why I opted out; not worth the hassle and fix-it tickets.

No concept of state inspection in MI...if it moves and has wheels, you're good to go. :laugh:

Come to think of it, perhaps you can take off your front license plate, too... I can't imagine MI cops would know that TX requires both front and rear plates, nor would they go after someone for that.

Better late than never to the party besides I feel like doing a little bit of whoring :laugh:

My 20's I think they're darker though :shrug: and hazed headlights for the fail

tukerpicts008.jpg

Mmmmmm M3....need more pics of that! Not really feeling how the wheels look though from that pic. The dish looks strange. Looks like those old school bubble dome center wheels but painted black :laugh:

What are the tint laws in TX? It's kind of ridiculous how many people have tints down here. I guess it's not much of an issue in TX. In MI, cops are real anal about it, yet another reason why I opted out; not worth the hassle and fix-it tickets.

No concept of state inspection in MI...if it moves and has wheels, you're good to go. :laugh:

Come to think of it, perhaps you can take off your front license plate, too... I can't imagine MI cops would know that TX requires both front and rear plates, nor would they go after someone for that.

I have no clue what the tint laws are. I know that you can have them on all 5 windows, but I'm thinking it's like 30-35% max, but that never seems to actually matter. People do it because of the sun and heat.

Damn straight about the state inspection thing- no matter how big of a POS a car is, you can drive it down the road in MI.

As far as the front plate goes, I keep it on there so that the cops don't bug me. I drove in the fast lane right by a state cop in the median doing 85 once when I wasn't paying attention. He looked at the car, looked at me, our eyes met, and he stayed put presumably because state cops don't like dealing with out of state cars, or so I'm told. They also apparently don't know anything about our registration. The cop that pulled me over was dumbfounded when I told him that the sticker was in the window and I didn't have any paperwork to give him. I've also been driving around with a registration sticker that expired in January, because I'm too lazy to pull the old one out and put the new one in that is sitting between the seat and console.

Mmmmmm M3....need more pics of that! Not really feeling how the wheels look though from that pic. The dish looks strange. Looks like those old school bubble dome center wheels but painted black :laugh:
i'll post a few pics of that beast later, the wheels are 3 piece ccw classics, it's a nice little ride, has a carbon fiber roof, trunk, kw coilovers, leather recaro pole positions, adjustable control arms, sway bars, and adjustable endlinks, it's got a rock solid suspension :drool:
These are pretty old pics so there is no carbon fiber roof or trunk in these pics

tukerpicts015.jpg

tukerpicts016.jpg

tukerpicts005.jpg

tukerpicts021.jpg

He looked at the car, looked at me, our eyes met, and he stayed put presumably because state cops don't like dealing with out of state cars, or so I'm told.

I wish the state troopers in NY and NJ would be that way with PA people.

The cop that pulled me over was dumbfounded when I told him that the sticker was in the window and I didn't have any paperwork to give him. I've also been driving around with a registration sticker that expired in January, because I'm too lazy to pull the old one out and put the new one in that is sitting between the seat and console.

Lol! When I got pulled over here in TX for a fix-it, the officer asked where my sticker was (I was newly relocated and had no idea about the registration stickers down here), thus I gave a confused look and pointed at my TTU parking sticker!!! I got pulled over b/c my license plate had a frame that was obstructing the plate (I still don't get that one), that and I painted the frame black...he wasn't too happy about that one! :D Anyways, I handed him my registration/insurance and he was a bit perplexed for a moment. Took him a very long time to figure out what the hell was going on, as I sat in the car for a solid 10 minutes waiting. Funny shiz.

I have a feeling cops around here have an affinity to my car, as the newer MI plates look similar to TX from far away, and I guess when they don't see a front plate, they get suspicious.

Honestly, I only ever owned one car in Texas that I had a front plate on, and I came back from MI one time without it. The fact that it was missing was mentioned to me once when I got pulled over in my truck (for speeding) but when I explained why I didn't have it, it got off with nothing. My Jetta didn't have one, and it was never mention the few times I got pulled over in it. Can you tell that I get pulled over a lot? My SVT in TX doesn't have one, my G8 doesn't have one, etc. I got bored on my drive to work one day and figured that about 30-40% of the cars down there don't have front plates, and it would be higher, except for the fact that almost all trucks and SUVs have them, and when pickup trucks account for 40% of all vehicles sold in TX, that makes a difference.

Gotcha - that sucks. My only worry is that now that there's a tint ticket on my record I'm unlikely to get away with any more warnings.
I had 28% all around. I was pulled over out of a group of cars on 69 and I got a $70 ticket (complete ass - still have no clue where he was hiding!!). Then I got pulled over in Ankeny by the locals and she just told me it was too dark (she was very nice and I told her it had only been a week since I got my ticket - plus I had my wife and daughter with me :eek:).
I pulled the fronts. Sucks, but laws are laws, I guess. I'm not one to argue. Hate getting pulled over. :blackeye:
Erick --

Back