• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

19s anyone?

let me answer .. year is 1999, miles: 98K, stock springs not lower, 18" Rims with 115/40/17 tires, Yes i have a system in my trunk (50LB)... Well the only time it scrape the MOST is i have 1 or more person sittin on the back seat, even single time if the car bounce such as lil hole, not smooth road, or turn, scrape like crazy. I don't really want to buy new suspension, spring or w/e because i know is not worth it for a non-SVT contour. And yes I do slow down on dips and drive up/down side way on lil hill. Is just that I can't do anything on freeway or highway with not smooth road. =/ *sigh* I'm just scare of ruin my tire because I just put on my rims with new tires since my old tires are worn out.

Well your cars a '99 with 98k on 18" wheels with stock suspension and a 50lbs system. then sometimes you have a person in the back seat that weighs about 120 to 180lbs est. then to compound the problem your driving at about 65 to 70+ Mph on the freeway which has hills and dips. Not saying your tires are going to blow on you but you got a lot of stress on that stock suspension thats probably why you rub. The best think to do is go and get a set of springs or better yet, the koni sport kit where you can stiffen your shocks. that will help. Im looking at getting some 19s and im kind of worried about rubbing but im about to do a full suspension upgrade (strut bar, sway bar, Bushings, coilovers. ) so this should help me .

Last edited:
Its when any suspension components inside the fender touches the tire during normal or fast driving, even over bumps.

Suspension parts and your wheel should all move as one assembly. They should never touch.

Rubbing is like posted above. Its when your tire is hitting the fender or the inner fender well plastic liner.

My old tire with steelies/donuts, were a little bigger than the one i have right now but the reason why it rubs because I believe the width of my tires is way bigger (RIM 18x7.5) probably that's why it rubs but the thing is I don't want to spend a lot of money on it because in a year I will have to sell this car in order to car a new car.

True the price you pay for making the car the way you want. oh yes i know how much its going to cost cause my coilovers im interested in are about $1000 then i need a tower bar and rear sway bar which are about $150 a piece. then installation a good $500 plus probably 6-8+ hrs of labor. So that means im without my only car for a day.

Back