• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sound insulation panel under hood - good or bad idea?

96RedSE5Sp

Hard-core CEG'er
My old '96 had one. My new '98 does not. I assume this was included to deaden the sound and to keep the cabin quieter.

Is this necessary? Is this a good idea? I saw somewhere that people were removing them to make thier engine run a little cooler. WIll my car run significantly hotter if I add one?

I was planning on buying one, but now I'm not so sure I want one.

By the way, I have a Duratec with a 5 speed.

They are designed to dampen high frequency noises (injector firing for example). It will help quiet your car slightly.

a friend of mine has a probe with a custom black paint job and he said after he took his off the water spots from rain stained his clear coat from the extra heat on the hood , i am not sure of his theory but i left mine on....lol

People told me it would burn the paint, i said Eff it and did it anyways. when i had my CSVT i drove it hard, and always had fun with it, regardless of temp, nothing was ever hurt. Even when the engine over heated. And for what it's worth i didn't have on on my mustang either and i'm sure a blown 5.0 puts out more underhood heat than a CSVT.

they should dampen some sound but there are there in case of an engine fire and in that case the push pins should melt and drop it on the engine to smoother the fire ... does it work, I don't know and don't care to find out ...

but in general ford removed them on 98+ contours ....

they should dampen some sound but there are there in case of an engine fire and in that case the push pins should melt and drop it on the engine to smoother the fire ... does it work, I don't know and don't care to find out ...

but in general ford removed them on 98+ contours ....

both my 2000 SVT's originally HAD them....

that is why i said in general ... yes SVTs had the hood liners still ... :nonono:

only way they would be worth having was if they had SVT embossed on them,, my 5.0 had a horse on it so that was the only reason i kept it

I guess my biggest question is does this insulation panel interfere with the proper dissipation of heat from the engine? Could it actually harm the engine or engine performance by trapping in heat?

I've removed them from both of the Duratec Contours I've owned. The difference in sound is small, but I did notice it. I also don't use my IMRC cover, either (the only use I've seen for it is to keep fingers from getting pulled into the water pump pulley), and I've never had IMRC problems, so there may be something to the heat dissipation value.

Back