• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2004 3L + 95 Transmission = Fail

2000ZxT

Hard-core CEG'er
Just put the tranny on in hopes of putting the engine back in and found that the lower 3 bolts don't line up. I was told 2 didn't line up, and it didn't matter. I thought they were probably the two very bottoms ones but they were none of the ones I thought, it's definitly not acceptable, I'll put some pictures up later to explain. I can still see light through the lower half of the bellhousing. I modified it work work on the left side (ones still out but its fine). Now I just need to figure something out for the other side and once thats on its acceptable. I threw the old oil pan out sooo. I'll post some pictures later to show exactly what happens with 95 tranny and 04 oil pan.

I really need to see the 04 oil pan to know if I can drill through a certain spot its risky cause parts on a curve im not sure if it will leave a hole or not but I suppose it will still be worth it if it did have to fix that hole. So if you have an 04 oil pan laying around it would be sweet if you could snap a pic where I need it opposed to me dropping the pan to find out.

I removed the pilot bushing. When I said space in between I mean like paper thin. It's just there are no spaces for bolts and it can't clamp properly.

Joe did you swap to the SVT pan right away or did you use the 95 pan right away. Perhaps it was different even between 95's if you didn't.

I really don't have money to buy more parts right (about the escape pan). But I will look into it and see what I can find. I think what I have/am doing should be fine though.

he said he was using an svt pan. iirc someone has an svt pan and pickup tube in the classifieds that just finished a 3l swap. it was cheap too like 40 bucks or less iirc.

Joe did you swap to the SVT pan right away or did you use the 95 pan right away. Perhaps it was different even between 95's if you didn't.

The SVT pan was the exact same as my '95 pan. Same bolt locations, size, pickup, etc...

I had the svt pan on my '95 before the 3L and built trans. My trans is also from a '95 but not mine.

Did you forget the metal spacer plate that goes between the block and trans case?

No I did not forget the spacer. I ended up hogging one side out to allow for the bolt and used a huge washer we had. It's not too bad, I also had to modify the spacer to allow for the bolt.

The situation you described still confuses me. Did you happen to take a picture? So you have it all bolted together now?

hmm i am also confused. you do realize that you are not using the same 2 dowel pins that the automatic uses, right? there ends up being one on bank 2 that sticks out, and you need to add a dowel to the block next to it. this leaves one bolt hole on the block that is sticking out past the bellhousing.

I also didn't run the SVT oil cooler. I had 0 problems bolting my trans to the 3L.

Yeah I'm not sure maybe this is an isolated situation which is highly unlikely I'm not sure but it's fine now with what I did I took a lot of pictures of the problem areas, I'll try and get them up later today. It wasn't a huge deal but I was just surprised to see it. I figured it would be good to put it up so if somebody is re/searching it will show up. Just got the engine in.

and that second tab/dowl pin that isn't used needs to be cut off to use the SVT oil cooler also ...
Not true. my motor is out right now i will take pix if you want but you can leave the dowl there no need to cut. If you already got the manifold on it might seem like it but if it is pull the hoses from the oil cooler and then pull the ring clamps off hte hoses to the oil cooler and slid it past the dowl behind the manifold

Not true. my motor is out right now i will take pix if you want but you can leave the dowl there no need to cut. If you already got the manifold on it might seem like it but if it is pull the hoses from the oil cooler and then pull the ring clamps off hte hoses to the oil cooler and slid it past the dowl behind the manifold

i didnt cut the tab off mine either and i am running the cooler

You should have installed a dowel pin so the trans is centered with both dowel pins when installed. You can cut the tab that sticks out with the other dowel pin or leave it. Eitherway you don't use it but it is easier to isntall the oil cooler with that tab cut off. Forget the two bolts that go from the pan to the trans. I've never used them on 3L swaps. Trans hasn't fallen off yet. lol

Picture 1: The area that has to be (or at least in my opinion) hogged out to allow a bolt to pass. You have to seal the gap into the bellhousing beforehand. I used urethane.
Picture 2: Big fender washer used to provide clamping force.

There are 2 spots you need to seal as well one is pictured in the second picture one is a few inches above it.

There's one more I'm going to be drilling a hole for to allow the right side of the lowest oil pan bolt hole to be used.

tranny3.jpg

tranny1.jpg

I've never used them on 3L swaps. Trans hasn't fallen off yet. lol

I love explaining that when I swap transmissions with people - those holes, naw, you don't put anything in them, you only need 5 or 6 bolts to hold this damn thing on :laugh:

Back