• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2004 3L + 95 Transmission = Fail

Picture 1: The area that has to be (or at least in my opinion) hogged out to allow a bolt to pass. You have to seal the gap into the bellhousing beforehand. I used urethane.
Picture 2: Big fender washer used to provide clamping force.

There are 2 spots you need to seal as well one is pictured in the second picture one is a few inches above it.

There's one more I'm going to be drilling a hole for to allow the right side of the lowest oil pan bolt hole to be used.

BTW you don't need to seal those gaps. It doesn't need an air tight seal. There isn't any fluid in there.

If you are that worried about it you should have removed the 3L pan and pickup and swapped over to the 2.5L pan and pickup which will allow you to use the bolt holes like normal. Of course you need to modify the 3L windage tray and install a stud for the 2.5L pickup but that isn't that big of a deal. Probably less work than what you are doing now though.

Sure you don't need to seal the gaps but I would rather take the 35 seconds and seal it and not have water and dirt getting inside my bellhousing on my expensive parts. I just wanted one bolt on the lower left and right sides clamping down. I don't spare much time or effort. All in all the whole process probably took an hour. I was just really surprised to see how it fits up.

You would need the pickup as well in that case. I don't know if they used the stud to hold the Escape pickup down like they do in the 2.5L. If they did you need to install a stud and modify the 3L windage tray.

the escape pickup does not use a support like the 2.5L pickup.

and from everything I have seen there shouldn't be any gaps between the mtx and the block.

Back