• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

changing O2 sensor and DPFE sensor

mnewxcv

Hard-core CEG'er
alright so I think these are the parts I need to replace to get my codes to go away. Lets hope.

Anyway, I need to know HOW to replace these parts. A step by step would be ideal since I have never touch an engine, never plugs, oil change, or anything, but since the mechanic my mom uses quoted me $490 for both parts installed I'm thinking I really need to get my hands dirty and do it myself so I have a few hundred left over.

O2 sensor, upstream bank 2
DPFE sensor

I can barely see the O2, but I do see it, though there are I think 2 hoses on top and 1 "pipe" that doesnt look flexible. So I dont really want to just start pulling hoses when I have no idea what they do.

As for the DPFE sensor, is the the silver box under the throttle body on the firewall side? what do I have to remove to get at it?

are these parts good, or should I be going to a ford dealer or other source for parts?

dpfe

O2 sensor

thanks in advance everyone

for the O2 sensor go with a bosch. for the DPFE suck it up and go to a dealer for one. these cars are sensitive on the sensors and often aftermarket ones just don't work right, oem is useally never an issue.

changing either isn't that hard at all. upstream bank 2 is the one by the radiator. just get under the car and reach up and unplug the sensor and r&r.

for the dpfe its located on the drivers side rear head. pull the intake and reach over there to the sensor. pull the hoses off and then unplugg and remove the 2 - 8 mm nuts and r&r the sensor.

The Autozone DPFE sensor is fine. I've had it in my car for two years since my OEM one went bad. It appears the price has gone up considerably since then, though.

damn I have to pull the upper to get the dpfe sensor...

we'll I guess I will try the O2 first and see how that goes since it's a bit less involved.

alright new question: bosch or denso.

Ive been reading a lot about bosch sensors dying a lot quicker than the densos. Ive also heard autozone bosch sensors are sort of entry line ones, while better ones can be had online or from true auto parts sources.

any insight? i dont want the same problem a year from now

had a bosch replacement sensor in the car for just about the whole time I have owned it and it has been fine. I only changed it because i wanted two 100% new sensors with the turbo to make sure the a/f would be right.

no, most if not all come with a metal sensor, not sure of the cut off. but the metal ones corrode and fail, so they made them plastic.

but on a side note that isn't a great thing also as I melted a plastic dpfe sensor with the turbo on a really hot summer day and am now using a metal one.

no, most if not all come with a metal sensor, not sure of the cut off. but the metal ones corrode and fail, so they made them plastic.

but on a side note that isn't a great thing also as I melted a plastic dpfe sensor with the turbo on a really hot summer day and am now using a metal one.

oh ok. thanks for letting me know, I was wondering why I didnt have something that looked like the replacement. I'm going to order the plastic one and hope for the best.

My brother has a new plastic one he will sell if u want it. I pm'd you his info.

so just a couple of questions before I do this:

1. there are 2 hoses connected. Is it safe to just pull them off the dpfe in there, or will the fall to where i cant reach them? Also, how will I know which goes to which inlet of the sensor? The metal one has one to the front and back of the sensor, while the plastic has one to the left and right.

2. How tight should I tighten the bolts/nuts? I dont have a torque wrench, just a ratchet, should I do them as tight as they want to go?

edit: oh and when removing the intake stuff, all the hoses connected, can I just pull them off? I assume they are just vacuum lines but since I have never really worked on a car, I figure I would ask. thanks a lot guys

yes on the intake just pull the hoses off.

the sensor doesn't need to be torqued down. just make sure its tight.

the hose will not fall. that are attached to the egr pipe. they are also two different sizes and should only fit one way. just remember which is which from the old sensor and match to the new one.

Yeah. Just make SURE you put the hoses on the correct ports upon reinstallation, as my replacement sensor had the ports reversed and the same size. If they are backwards, you will throw codes. You'll never guess how I know this.

I have a dpfe sensor you could have for free. It worked when I took it off. It is old but free. This should only take you like 10 minutes to swap too so.

Back