• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

stuttering

owners manual will tell you.

also it isn't good to run the O2 sensors without the heater for an extended period of time. how long has the cel been on with this codes?

I just got the codes tested, it has been running like this for a month. The only thing is that it goes on and off, so really thought nothing of it.

I replaced the 25amp fuse the previous owner had installed (idiot) with the correct fuse of 15 amps. I will let it run for a day, and see if it does any better.

well either it was a mistake that a larger fuse was used or there is a short and that made it work for the time being. Id start tracing wires if the fuse blows again.

Plugged the fuse in, and when i went to drive away from the store my car started to feel like it didn't have any power at all. Pushed my foot on the gas and it didn't take off. Pushed it down all the way, and it finally took off.

About ten minutes of driving i check my fuse, and its blown..again. This time it was the correct amp and all.

What wires do i need to check?

all of them :blackeye:..... It sounds like the start of a major harness issue, hopefully not. Check the easy areas first for cracked wires, corrosion under the fuse box, etc.... Good job BrApple on the support here!

rageeeeee

Ill have to see if clay can help me this weekend, as im the most mechanical person around.

And yes, thanks BrApple, you possibly have saved me 80 ducks.

no problem. with O2 sensor heater codes the fuse should be checked first.

however like I noted and read about my wideband O2 sensor, it shouldn't be used without the heater working. My understanding is the heater balances the sensor out so with out it the exhaust gas temp is damaging to the sensor. So you might still need 2 sensors.

but for now you need to trace the wiring from the O2 sensors back to the main harness and look for signs of damage, etc.

do you know what the 02 sensors are or where they are located? The wires for them will be plugged into them.

no, i don't.

Im not the most mechanically capable person either.

edit/

I wanna make sure im talking about the right fuse to. In the handbook it says something along like "Hego pump"

no, i don't.

Im not the most mechanically capable person either.

edit/

I wanna make sure im talking about the right fuse to. In the handbook it says something along like "Hego pump"
the fuse im not sure on ill let somone else chime in there. Now the 02 sensors are located in your exhaust. being a zetec im not sure exactly where along the exhaust but it seems like ian gave a pretty good description of their location at the beginning of this thread. Look along your exhaust for a part sticking out of it that should have 2 wires ir so coming from it and a plug. check the wiring all thru there and trace it to your harness etc looking for frays and or busted insulation.

our O2 sensors have 4 wires.

to find the upper O2 sensor look for the oil dipstick. then look down to the exhaust manifold. the upper O2 sensor will be right there on top of the manifold pointing towards the hood latch.

the lower O2 sensor is on the exhaust at the passanger front corner of the car. just get under the car and follow the exhuast to it.

I'll snap two pics for you really quickly, man. The upper one can be annoying to get to if you still have the exhaust manifold heat shield on...

EDIt: I'll post them tomorrow for you.

Power Distribution Box next to the battery.

Fuse 13 - 20 AMPs- Yellow - Oxygen sensor.

Back