• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone tackled the horrendous A-pillar wind noise?

R-code

CEG'er
Has anyone attempted to dull the excessive wind noise that comes from the A-pillar? It's pretty annoying and I'd like to do something about it!

~Mike~

Maybe replace your weather stripping inside the doors. No wind noise from these cars that I know of.

Maybe replace your weather stripping inside the doors. No wind noise from these cars that I know of.
Weather strip is fine. All three of the Contour's I've owned have had a pretty bad howl coming from the middle of the A-pillar. If I put my hand on the interior trim panel and door frame at the right spot, it goes away.

~Mike~

Are you talking window down, or up. Mine is pretty quiet up, but it does have a pretty loud wind noise when windows are down on highway. I guess that's what amps are for. :laugh:

I guess I've never noticed a specific wind noise upfront. The biggest noise issues with the cars I have found was tires, the KDW's are awful, and just the general lack of sound deadening in typical economy cars.
-Andy

and just the general lack of sound deadening in typical economy cars.

I still contend this is one of the better insulated economy cars of the mid-late 90s from my experience. I've opened up dozens of door types for speaker work and was very impressed when I popped the Contour door off and found it had fit-together foam insulation pieces. Much much better than my roommates Altima that had a piece of plastic glued in place between the door metal and the cardboard door panel much like my 80's Mazdas had.

There is a TSB for this.... It pretty much says if the weather stripping isn't torn or ripped adjust the door so it seals better..

tb5132a.gif

tb5133a.gif

Maybe check the weather stripping if it is in good condition... If it is look at where it compresses when the door is shut. You can do this when the door is close by taking a notecard up and down the door... it should not slide real easy, if it does.... adjust the door.. adjust the door at your own risk!

There is a TSB for this.... It pretty much says if the weather stripping isn't torn or ripped adjust the door so it seals better..

tb5132a.gif

tb5133a.gif

Maybe check the weather stripping if it is in good condition... If it is look at where it compresses when the door is shut. You can do this when the door is close by taking a notecard up and down the door... it should not slide real easy, if it does.... adjust the door.. adjust the door at your own risk!
Thanks for that! I'll take a look into it.

~Mike~

I don't know if you saw the pictures or not... Im not real sure why they aren't working now. :shrug:
Nope, sure didn't. I think I can handle sticking a note card between the door and the frame, though!

~Mike~

Nope, sure didn't. I think I can handle sticking a note card between the door and the frame, though!

~Mike~

It was how to adjust the hinges... oh well, if it fails the notecard test, there is another test called the chalk test, buts its not necessary..

It was how to adjust the hinges... oh well, if it fails the notecard test, there is another test called the chalk test, buts its not necessary..
Bottom line is it's not sealing around the front of the window frame like it's supposed to, no? I'll figure something out now that I know that could be the root of the problem.

~Mike~

Back