• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Uh oh's... Some serious problems

cnewton44

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok so my car has been leaking green liquid for a while but not to seriously. So today I parked it and notice that its dripping at a steady rate now. First off I am pretty sure its the water pump. :( But I am not 100% sure if what im looking at is the water pump. Anyone clarify this for me?

Second thing is its running really rough and im pretty sure its misfiring. I took out four of the six plugs and they all seemed fine. It also doesn't seem to misfire at the same RPM so im kinda wondering if its possibly the fuel pump/filter? Maybe? I really don't know. Any help would be awesome guys.

The water pump is under the big cover on the front valve cover. It's driven off the cam on the smaller belt. If you're seeing coolant coming from that area it's probably either the water pump or one of the hoses. Water pumps aren't that difficult on our cars (I'd say easier than an alternator :laugh:).

If you have a real misfire the check engine light should flash. You can replace the fuel filter, it's easy and they're cheap. They are a routine maintenance item anyways. Otherwise, how old are you plugs? wires? Any codes?

I have not gotten any CEL's. I just replaced the plugs and wires in the fall. That was my first concern. But when I pulled the four plugs they all seemed fine and were the proper color. As far as the leak I'm assuming the pump is going. I had to add coolant tonight cause it was getting low. I'll check the hoses tomorrow I guess.

I'm most likely going to be getting something else soon and will probably trade this in. There's just too many things wrong with it at this point. I don't really want to put a boatload of money into a ten year old car.

Ha! That is true. However I need depedability out of my vehicle, and I'm not getting that so it's time to look elsewhere. Anyone wanna buy a Mystique? :laugh:

You put in autolites?

Ha! That is true. However I need depedability out of my vehicle, and I'm not getting that so it's time to look elsewhere. Anyone wanna buy a Mystique? :laugh:

When was the last time you were stranded somewhere in it? :shrug:

I don't really want to put a boatload of money into a ten year old car.

By the time I get the Cougar painted I'll have put in almost $1500 in just making it look stock again... It's a 10 year old car. Cars cost money to keep on the road, that's just the way it works. Doesn't matter if it's a three year old car or a twenty year old car.

I put in bosch platinums. I was leaving canal park early last week and put the car in third gear. When I let the clutch out the thing just instantly died. No hesitation just dead. It started right away again though. It was weird. I was gonna go out of town with it this weekend but I really don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.:nonono: Its been a decent car but I think its time to move on now.

I put in bosch platinums. I was leaving canal park early last week and put the car in third gear. When I let the clutch out the thing just instantly died. No hesitation just dead. It started right away again though. It was weird. I was gonna go out of town with it this weekend but I really don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.:nonono: Its been a decent car but I think its time to move on now.

Get rid of the boschs....get rid of the boschs....get rid of the boschs. Can you see where I am going with this? Get the autolites or motocraft plugs. They are the only ones that won't cause the car to hesitate or misfire.

Get rid of the boschs....get rid of the boschs....get rid of the boschs. Can you see where I am going with this? Get the autolites or motocraft plugs. They are the only ones that won't cause the car to hesitate or misfire.

I agree! Get Autolite APP104's! Make sure they are the double platinums because the counter people misread the boxes and like to give out the single platinums for some reason.

I agree! Get Autolite APP104's! Make sure they are the double platinums because the counter people misread the boxes and like to give out the single platinums for some reason.

When I was at an autoparts store picking up plugs, they kept trying to tell me that the single plats were stock and that they would work just fine. I kept telling them give me the double plats. :nonono:

double plats are highlighted in the Autolite book as preferred, however my car has had Champion non platinum in it for the last 40 k with no problem (in it when I bought the car):shrug:

well honestly when it comes down to it I don't think it would be running this rough just because of plugs. I've had these ones in since last year with no problems and all the sudden my car doesn't like them? I will look into getting some other ones but the water pump is gonna be my first concern if I fix anything on this car.

well honestly when it comes down to it I don't think it would be running this rough just because of plugs. I've had these ones in since last year with no problems and all the sudden my car doesn't like them? I will look into getting some other ones but the water pump is gonna be my first concern if I fix anything on this car.

From what I have read, might be true/might not, is that the motocraft/autolites are the only ones to use a double plat covered prong and tip....most of the other ones use only a plat covered prong. After a while the plat is worn off and that is where the misfire starts. Water pump is a fairly easy fix....take off your air intake, remove a few bolts, remove the pump and reinstall.

Well what I don't understand through this whole thing is that I have not gotten ONE CEL. If it's misfiring shouldn't it throw a light? And as far as the water pump...... Does duct tape work? LOL I'm broke and can't afford a new one. Isn't the water pump between the engine and the intake timing belt and pullies?

Well what I don't understand through this whole thing is that I have not gotten ONE CEL. If it's misfiring shouldn't it throw a light? And as far as the water pump...... Does duct tape work? LOL I'm broke and can't afford a new one. Isn't the water pump between the engine and the intake timing belt and pullies?

From what I understand, it won't throw a CEL all the time, if at all.

Bad plugs and wires won't throw a code even though you'd think it would. Bosch makes the worst plugs IMO.

It might throw a light if the coilpack is bad, but probably not for just bad plugs.

The water pump is driven off the front intake cam next to the front valve cover, on the transmission side. Like I said before, take the IMRC cover off and see if you can tell where it's leaking. The duratec has a timing chain btw, so no belt.

A new waterpump is probably around $50 if you do it yourself.

It might throw a light if the coilpack is bad, but probably not for just bad plugs.

The water pump is driven off the front intake cam next to the front valve cover, on the transmission side. Like I said before, take the IMRC cover off and see if you can tell where it's leaking. The duratec has a timing chain btw, so no belt.

A new waterpump is probably around $50 if you do it yourself.

don't forget new coolant.

Back