• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car feels weak

95silvia

New CEG'er
I recently bought a 2000 CSVT I have changed the plug wires and the plugs so far and it didn't really make a diff. The car has a stutter or miss at WOT that last for only a second then it clears up unless I let out of it and go WOT again. The car just doesn't feel 100% to me, but I have not ever rode in a healthy one to compare by also. I am getting a CEL for the EGR occasionally, but I'm not sure if this is the problem or not. It has been cleaned, but the light came back. The PO cleaned it not me, so I might try it myself. My 300ZX felt like this once and I had to change an injector. Any ideas? Could the EGR system cause this?

IMRC working correctly? Make sure its actually working, if it is make sure the cable is connected to the secondaries. Check the plastic grommets the secondary linkage connects them together with. You might have only one on or both not operable?

have you replaced the fuel filter and airfilter? not sure if it will make a whole lot of difference but it helped a little with my g/f firebird

Last edited:
have you checked out fuel pressure? sounds like maybe a pump/regulator going or a dirty filter:shrug: The egr wouldn't cause a problem unless it's stuck open at idle higher rpm's is when it's supposed to open up.

sometimes my csvt feels week, but I think it's a lack of .5 litres in my displacement:crazy:

Thanks for the replies I did get my alignment issue fixed. I have replaced the air filter, but not the fuel filter. What is the IMRC and what does it do? Sorry I'm a ctour newb:eek:

Thanks for the replies I did get my alignment issue fixed. I have replaced the air filter, but not the fuel filter. What is the IMRC and what does it do? Sorry I'm a ctour newb:eek:

IMRC(intake manifold runner control). its when the computer tells the LIM(lower intake manifold) to open its runners @ 3500rpm and above. its an instant boost that u feel. if u dont feel anything at 3500rpm and above, then the imrc is non-functional.

IMRC(intake manifold runner control). its when the computer tells the LIM(lower intake manifold) to open its runners @ 3500rpm and above. its an instant boost that u feel. if u dont feel anything at 3500rpm and above, then the imrc is non-functional.

That would be the problem then because right now it feels and pulls the same from idle to redline. I'm assuming I would hear the difference when the secondaries opened at wot as well? Is this an easy fix? Thanks for the info so far guys.

That would be the problem then because right now it feels and pulls the same from idle to redline. I'm assuming I would hear the difference when the secondaries opened at wot as well? Is this an easy fix? Thanks for the info so far guys.

i'd say its easy. took me about an hour last time i changed one. a bit more for a novice. there's a very detailed how to on here somewhere. i'm guessing its in the duratec maintenance forum. check there. i dont think tho that a non-functional imrc causes a miss. i could be wrong. but when mine went out, the car simply wouldnt get anywhere fast.

The miss could be from the egr as I am getting the "egr flow insufficient" code, and the miss is barely noticeable, but that would explain the car feeling weak. Where do I need to check for the cable being broke inside the box or outside the box?

The miss could be from the egr as I am getting the "egr flow insufficient" code, and the miss is barely noticeable, but that would explain the car feeling weak. Where do I need to check for the cable being broke inside the box or outside the box?

both. but u usually can see if it is from the outside. remove the black imrc cover first. its the big black plastic thing right in front of ur engine that reads "2.5L DOHC" or sumthn to that effect. 3 screws bolt it down.

id say check your linkage right at the LIM. theres a little plastic clip right under your intake pipe that tends to fall apart. when this happens, the actuator arm has nothing to pull on to open up your secondaries. you can see it without taking any parts off. i'll run outside and take a pic.

here ya go. its the little yellow clip below the throttle body

002.jpg

egr would cause the occasional stumble, i just had this problem, new egr valve fixed it.

In your case I am willing to bet the EGR passageways behind the throttle body on the upper intake manifold are blocked with carbon buildup. You probably should take off the throttle body and clean those, that more than likely will fix your issue if you are in fact throwing a P0401 code.

id say check your linkage right at the LIM. theres a little plastic clip right under your intake pipe that tends to fall apart. when this happens, the actuator arm has nothing to pull on to open up your secondaries. you can see it without taking any parts off. i'll run outside and take a pic.

here ya go. its the little yellow clip below the throttle body

002.jpg

Thanks for the pic :cool: The runners are opening @ 4000 rpm, but I can't feel any difference when driving:shrug: Thanks for all the replies

then your runners arent opening. you'll definitely know when they are

I opened up the IMRC box and watched the motor turn the gears as I had someone else rev the car and watched the linkage move the spring and arms that connect the linkage to the secondaries :shrug: What else could stop them from opening up if all of this is working. I really don't notice a difference at all Can you hear and feel a difference in your car that is very noticeable?

Just as an FYI 'egr flow insufficient' will not make engine miss. It's normal egr flow that can make miss if improperly timed. Insufficient means not enough, that is actually easier for engine to digest without trouble since engine runs better without it.

I opened up the IMRC box and watched the motor turn the gears as I had someone else rev the car and watched the linkage move the spring and arms that connect the linkage to the secondaries :shrug: What else could stop them from opening up if all of this is working. I really don't notice a difference at all Can you hear and feel a difference in your car that is very noticeable?

you can definitely feel it. its a real kick in the pants. similar feeling as vtec in hondas. different concept, but the same feeling. it goes vroooooooooVROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

you can definitely feel it. its a real kick in the pants. similar feeling as vtec in hondas. different concept, but the same feeling. it goes vroooooooooVROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
:laugh:as oposed to a VTEC that goes BAAAZzIIIIIIIING:laugh:

Back