• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New 3.0 arrives tuesday

put the middle bolt in last. get the mount bolted up properly, then jack the trans up as you need to till it lines up. poly filled mounts won't go on the way your trying it. there's no play like the rubber bushing has, not to mention how soft the rubber is.

yep, jacking the trans didn't work, but putting a vise-clapm from the round part of the mount to the trans side of it, then pulling them together front to back did the trick, exhaust bolts took a clamp too, it's as if the engine is just a tad too far forward... wierd.

at anyrate, it's all buttoned up now, just needs fluids. if it wasn't for stupid napa's hours I could have drove last night, which would have been awesome.

I wish wal-mart sold syncromax.

at any rate, we'll find out how it runs tomarrow after I get the purple in. probably going to put oil in it today, bleed the clutch, shove three new p104's in the front banks (three from the last engine siezed in the old head, and I broke the insulators getting them out, a huge waste of 7 bucks with under 100 miles on them), put coolant in, and fill up the PAS.

probably going to replace the RCAs to my subs too, since they are intermittant right now and it drives me crazy.

K, got it running, but it's throwing:

p0353
p1506 (IAC overspeed, the 05 one didn't fit right and i had to go back to the 2.5 one)
p0300
p0302
p0306
p1000 (typical)

havent looked them up yet, but it's not really running very good, so we shall see.

p0353 - [FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=+0][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Ignition Coil C Primary circuit fault. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
p1506 - [FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=+0][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Idle Air Control Over Speed Error. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
p0300 - [FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=+0][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Random Misfire Detected. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
p0302 - [FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=+0][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Misfire Detected - Cylinder 2[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
p0306 - [FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=+0][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Misfire Detected - Cylinder 6 [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
p1000 - [FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=+0][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]OBD-II Monitor Testing Incomplete. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

ok, p0353 is appearently coil 3 not firing, would a bad plug wire open the circuit? I ask because the number 5 plug wire was damaged a little when the last coil broke.

it's either that or the coil I got from e-bay is bad.

p0300 is obviously related to the coil, but it says something about cyl 2 fuel inj and cyl 6 fuel inj for p0302 and 0306 respectively.

any idea? the gas light was one, it did say something about if it ran out of gas it would throw the p0300 series of codes.

any idea where to start diagnosis?

ok, p0353 is appearently coil 3 not firing, would a bad plug wire open the circuit? I ask because the number 5 plug wire was damaged a little when the last coil broke.

it's either that or the coil I got from e-bay is bad.

p0300 is obviously related to the coil, but it says something about cyl 2 fuel inj and cyl 6 fuel inj for p0302 and 0306 respectively.

any idea? the gas light was one, it did say something about if it ran out of gas it would throw the p0300 series of codes.

any idea where to start diagnosis?

well if you have a multimeter you can check resistance on that wire you suspect compared to another wire.

I guess it's of interest that its saying theres a dead coil and 2 and 6 are failing, since they are on the same coil. hrm? ebay dispute? or could it be a bad wire? or a short in the signal somehow? how would I hunt that down really?

well if you have a multimeter you can check resistance on that wire you suspect compared to another wire.

good idea, I'll have to get to harbor-freight, I keep destroying multi meters.

any idea what stock grey wires would be?

problem is, it doesn't appear to be 5 misfiring. I know the signal wires are wired right because we've already been through all of that. this ignition hates me.

basically every code points to one culprit, and being that the coil is the only new component in the ignition sytem since it was working on the 02, I'm wanting to say... EBAY DISPUTE!

out of curiosity, it would probably be really bad to drive it like this huh?

it only went to the really close gas station so far because I needed it to throw the DTCs for whatever was going on, and it was running out of gas.

I should be ok right?

anyone have another 02 type coil they'd like to donate?

i'm starting to think its not your f'n coil. two coils fail in a row? your gonna bother to multimeter plug wires?

let me clue you in on a little something. resistance will KILL your coil pack. if your wires are suspect, DITCH THEM. do you wanna keep throwing motors at this thing?

oh and next time, don't build an engine in the rain. this is getting ridiculous. i have a SVT coil pack that i know is good, and its the SAME THING. i can ship it to you if need be, but i suggest you buy some plug wires, and some dialectic grease. FILL the boots, and where they meet the coil pack. route your coil pack right, do you have a haynes manual?

these problems should not be occuring.

idk man, the old coil didnt fail, it worked, but dom gave me bad info that turbo fox fixed, fixing the problem. the bottom end went on the last one from this. the old coil broke while I was pulling the engine and I bought one from e-bay. I may have been screwed

out of curiosity, it would probably be really bad to drive it like this huh?

it only went to the really close gas station so far because I needed it to throw the DTCs for whatever was going on, and it was running out of gas.

I should be ok right?

anyone have another 02 type coil they'd like to donate?

you shouldnt be driving it like this. Obivously your coil is working right (either due to wires or your wiring). I would change the oil, cause I am sure the short drive you did with multiple cylinders not firing will have diluted the oil with fuel - the same thing that killed the last engine.
you really should consider switching back to a stock 2.5 coil. something is screwy with whatever you are doing, and isnt working correctly. I wonder if you screwed the injector drivers in the pcm with all the wiring issues you had before.

id really pick up some new plug wires for it and inspect the plugs/gap. Its cheap enough, and if it doesnt fix the problem, you A. dont have to change them for a while and B. know its not them.

i will send you a stock coil that WORKS just pay shipping jesus H crimany i don't wanna see you fail over and over and over again, its getting pathetic.

ok, so I've changed the oil for the third time now, and taken it on it's 4th voyage around the neighborhood.

codes 0300, 0302, and 0306 have all gone away, and it seems to be making pretty normal power now, pretty odd.

the p0353 is still there, but I never cleared the codes.

what it is doing now is throwing 0171 and 0174 for pig rich, which I'm willing to guess has a lot to do with the 1506 that I know about, because the 05 IAC hits on the uim when it's oreanted the way it was on the 05, so I swapped back to the 2.5 IAC for now, because it faces the other way.... it does face the other way right?

any input on the new findings? I cleared the codes and I'm going to take it through a drive cycle on this fresh oil and get back with the findings

ok, so I've changed the oil for the third time now, and taken it on it's 4th voyage around the neighborhood.

codes 0300, 0302, and 0306 have all gone away, and it seems to be making pretty normal power now, pretty odd.

the p0353 is still there, but I never cleared the codes.

what it is doing now is throwing 0171 and 0174 for pig rich, which I'm willing to guess has a lot to do with the 1506 that I know about, because the 05 IAC hits on the uim when it's oreanted the way it was on the 05, so I swapped back to the 2.5 IAC for now, because it faces the other way.... it does face the other way right?

any input on the new findings? I cleared the codes and I'm going to take it through a drive cycle on this fresh oil and get back with the findings

im pretty sure the 2.5 IAC doesnt work on the 3L intake. i think tricker already ran into this if i remember correctly. remind us of what the current tune/injector/maf setup you have?

edit: http://www.fordcontour.org/IAC-problems-t12039.html

what do you have for fuel line connections/ fuel pressure regulator?

Back