• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

anyone know what this is called??

pithon987

Hard-core CEG'er
the vss hooks up to this and goes into the tranny but i cant seem to find it?? does anyone know wat the lil red thing is called??
vss3.jpg

ok thanks maybe ill go to the junkyard and see if theres any mtx and also do you think it matters if its pre 98 tour?? just throwing it out there

What year did that come from? That doesn't look like any VSS I've ever seen used on a Contour.

If it came from an early-95, which used a different VSS, then you need to get exactly that. Late-95 through 00 were different sensors.

:confused: that pic isn't from a tour vss its a random google pic i used to find out what he red gear was callled but still have no luck finding:blackeye:

:confused: that pic isn't from a tour vss its a random google pic i used to find out what he red gear was callled but still have no luck finding:blackeye:

You should probably note that in your post next time. Just a suggestion. :idea:

Here is the part number for the internal VSS gear in the tranny:
F5RZ-17285-AA
MSRP - $10.85
Team Ford - $8.07

In a recent thread about this gear, a few people said it was discontinued and no longer available from Ford. If that is true, you'll need to find a used differential to remove it from. It is not the easiest to remove because it's plastic and the bearing pressed over it makes it difficult to remove without damaging.

Why do you need one anyways? I don't think I've heard about any gear failures on here before. Are you sure you don't just need the VSS itself?

well i did buy the vss by itself and its for a 99 csvt that i bought for the awesome price of 800$ the previous owner said it just needed the vss so i bought it sent it to my mechanic and while he was down there he said it needed this gear so that's my prob......and here i thought it was gonna be n easy fix:nonono::help:

speedo gear is discontinued. You can get one out of any V6 contour or cougar transmission. They are the same SVT and non SVT. They are different if you go between V6 and I4. Be very careful pulling the speedo gear.

speedo gear is discontinued. You can get one out of any V6 contour or cougar transmission. They are the same SVT and non SVT. They are different if you go between V6 and I4. Be very careful pulling the speedo gear.

No, they are not. The VSS is different but the internal gear is the same.

well i just need the internal gear i already bought ths vss from rockauto so i guess ill be heading to th junkyard here in a few min.thanks for the help!:cool:

No, they are not. The VSS is different but the internal gear is the same.

yeah you are right, I forgot about it.... I even went through a big ol thing looking for a speedo gear before I found out from steve @ tousley they were the same.

The speedo gear is the same between the 4cyl and 6cyl

Back