• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Build #'s making my brain hurt

Brent372

Official SE Event Coordinator
OK...
The wife and I were cleaning, organzing, etc over the weekend.
We decided to hang the SVT COA in the frame from the recent group buy.
So I go to our files and dig out the "Contour" file and pull out a COA.

I am putting it in the frame when I notice something wrong. It isn't mine.
I had ordered one soon after purchasing the car from the original owner.
It turns out the original owner provided me with his certificate and I didn't even know.

Now take a good look at the pics below.
The top one is the original owner's certificate.
The bottom one is the reproduction I got from Ford.

All I have to say is WTF !? !? !?

I guess I'll be making some calls today.

20080407094221399_0001.jpg

that is very strange.
and the fact that the reproduction has the dealer on it is strange too.

Maybe its one of those un-authentic authentic certificate's that contourSVT99 threw up on here a while back...:nonono: :laugh:

:shrug:

Well I called 1-800-FORD-SVT and have emailed them the scanned copies of the COA's. They are going to research it.

the 1-800 number gave my SF with midnight blue the #1633. However, the registry lists #1633 as and black and tan vehicle. So you are not the only one who is confused. I feel like i may call them back and see if they give me a different # this time around

the 1-800 number gave my SF with midnight blue the #1633. However, the registry lists #1633 as and black and tan vehicle. So you are not the only one who is confused. I feel like i may call them back and see if they give me a different # this time around

The registry uses information provided by CEGers, not by SVT. So if someone screwed up when they typed it in, it would show up different than what SVT says.

does someone have a link to the registry? the link i have says its down and has been for months :shrug:

Edit: nevermind, Mike just needs to get his lazy ass to work and get the site back up. :D:D

Last edited:
Well SVT say mine is 1136, built Jan 4, 2000, so I would believe the second one since yours is built later than mine. Seems to be in about the right range. maybe the old owner gave you a fake (although it doesn't really make sense that they would change the build date). :shrug:

Well they are still looking into it.
It was mentioned to me that in 2002 they had to do a "recall" of certificates because of build date errors, but at the time the rep I spoke to was not aware of any issues in 2000, but the people that handled that for SVT back in 2000 are being asked.

On another note, if you look at the scanned images, you will see the print quality of the reproduction is very poor compared to that of the original. I mentioned this, and they are going to send me another re-print once they have confirmed the correct build #.

I don't know if I always trust the info that the SVT line gives. There was a time when I talked to two different people there and each them of them gave a diff build # for the same VIN.

I don't know if I always trust the info that the SVT line gives. There was a time when I talked to two different people there and each them of them gave a diff build # for the same VIN.

When I called and asked about my build number he asked me if my car was a 1994 or 1999:help:

Back