• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Who likes thier cars stock, or heavilly modded?

Kimono_skunk

New CEG'er
Being a noob here, I have been following all the threads and owner stories about the SVT.
As I will be getting a Aztek Green 1999 SVT in a few days, I was wondering :

1. Who likes their car modded or stock,
2. If modded or stock, why?

And I will not put down either for modding or staying stock, as there are benefits to both.

Personally I can choose I like both, but for different reasons.
Stock: wanting to see how the cars performed from the factory, or for shows or such, as we do have a collector car we own.
or Modded: As in Turbo's or Supercharging, as I love the sound of a Whipple or a Kennee Belle whine going down the street.

I will ask a few other questions in another thread I will post following this... :)
Kimmyskunk

Being a noob here, I have been following all the threads and owner stories about the SVT.

1. Who likes their car modded or stock,
2. If modded or stock, why?

And I will not put down either for modding or staying stock, as there are benefits to both.

Personally I can choose I like both, but for different reasons.
Stock: wanting to see how the cars performed from the factory, or for shows or such, as we do have a collector car we own.
or Modded: As in Turbo's or Supercharging, as I love the sound of a Whipple or a Kennee Belle whine going down the street.

I will ask a few other questions in another thread I will post following this... :)
Kimmyskunk

I like mostly stock. Mine has minor mods (see sig). Also, it's Tropic Green (aka Amazon renamed for the SVTs)

I like both, so I have both. :laugh:

These really are great cars from the factory and I love throwing people off when they ask what it has done and can just smile and say it's stock.

I'll take stock for the comfort but heavily modified for everything else it lacks from the factory due to the age of the design.

My car is the best. :laugh:

There are only a couple of viable options for F/I on our cars. Blackcoog on here has a supercharger kit that doesn't strip the splines on it. NPG has a turbo kit that is a proven winner. Look them both up and it would help you

Your idea of a whipple or kb wont happen, there is the vortech/blackcoog s/c kits and a turbo kit and thats about it. And there is no aztek green fyi.

imo I say go turbo, on these fwd cars turbo lag is your best friend, and even with turbo lag we still have serious problems hooking up

By my sig you can tell what I like:laugh: Stock is a starting point, always room for improvment:laugh:

I like stock

Oh wait.... I lied. I dunno if I like modifying them cause the car is better in any way, or if I just like having stuff to do with the car

I like having my modified car, but I'm really learning to appreciate the value of an unmolested, totally stock car, even if that means it's totally boring too. I'm halfway considering replacing my Contour with something boring that I wouldn't be tempted to modify and using my motorcycles as my fun vehicles.

Or just buy something fast enough from the factory to suit you. Hence, the G8 in the sig and SVT in the classifieds. :cool:

Or just buy something fast enough from the factory to suit you. Hence, the G8 in the sig and SVT in the classifieds. :cool:

My car was fast enough from the factory to satisfy me. I could always drive the speed limit, so that was good enough for me. The fun part is working on it.

About longevity between having a stock SVT, compared to a modded one with a turbo or supercharger.

Please tell me the pros and cons about turbo'ing, or supercharging.

((Personally I like the idea of a whipple or KB blower whistling as loud as possible as i'm driving down the road, but reliably. IF I were to choose the mods carefully.))

I think others on here say that the added power from a turbo or charger is great, despite the price. Benefits include the added power, and a better running engine temp if running an intercooler.

Reason why I was asking, as I plan to keep the SVT when I get it for a long time, as I know its a great car, but if the mod bug hits.... what can I do safely in mods that will not affect the overall reliability of the car. I mean, what good is a $5000, 500 hp kit, if you get it installed correctly and your car gernades after a month of poor ass driving?

I was only using the above numbers as an example... I don't know a whole lot about the modded SVTs out here... that's why I'm asking. Smiles

So, let's hear what everyone thinks... and no trash talking about who's car is better than who's, k?

Kimmyskunk

Use the search function. This has been discussed over and over again and there are 23425345hundred threads saying the exact same things. Also try reading the other forums, especially the stickies.

Your idea of a whipple or kb wont happen, there is the vortech/blackcoog s/c kits and a turbo kit and thats about it. And there is no aztek green fyi.

imo I say go turbo, on these fwd cars turbo lag is your best friend, and even with turbo lag we still have serious problems hooking up

wasn't joey working on a manifold to allow a roots type blower to mount on the duratec?

with that, only real issue would be hood clearance i would think.

wasn't joey working on a manifold to allow a roots type blower to mount on the duratec?

with that, only real issue would be hood clearance i would think.

Yeah I thought he was doing something last year. Was interested in looking into someones CF hood they wanted to make to see if it would get him clearance. Isnt his split port to oval port lim a product of him trying to work out a roots blower?

Well what about adding an exhaust? That'd sure sound nice. And of course you have to go with the cold air intake. And some rims would sure look nice. Oh, some boost would be pretty sweet, etc. etc. It's what would happen to me.

after modifying my car i say put a 3L in it and leave everything else stock. if you have the money put a BAT kit on it and that would make an almost perfect daily driver. if you add a loud exhaust and intake then a solid engine mount it just becomes obnoxious as a daily driver. you almost have to yell at your passengers on the highway. that is if you plan to have the car as a daily driver.

If you plan to have another car and make the SVT a toy, then i say go all out.

Back