• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stock vs. Modified

Tex

Hard-core CEG'er
I thought this might be a subject for some discussion. This summer I purchased a fairly modded 3L SVT, in addition to the bone stock SVT that I already had. I drove the 3L all summer, and felt like I neglected the stock SVT. Now, I've been driving the stock SVT since Saturday, and I really noticed some differences between the two.

Stock-
Nicer interior (other one just needs some cleaning and conditioning).
Runs smoothly and trouble free, just as it should.
Quiet (I still hear the beautiful SVT exhaust note when I get on it, but the car in general just seems quieter- less wind noise, tire noise, etc.)
Comfortable ride with great handling.
Smooth and confident stock shifter.
Body is still tight with no creaks and rattles.
Nicer stereo than my other one.
Paint is typical for an 8 year old car, but still cleans up nicely and is a good 10' car. A good claybarring, and waxing by somebody who knows what they are doing, and some touchup paint, and it could probably look really good.
Really a nice around-town driver.

3L-
FAST :laugh:
Always wants to be fast and isn't very happy going slow. :blackeye:
LOUD. Loud tires, loud exhaust (Bassani with BAT Y, MSDS), loud everything. I love the exhaust when I want it, but it does get annoying after a while.
Seems like something always needs adjusting/fixing. Right now it's the shift cables.
Seems like my car is constantly idling funny lately because it's always learning a new tune (my fault).
Suspension sucks (Eibach/Koni), but I'm sending in warranty papers for new konis later this week, so hopefully that shouldn't be the case much longer.
Don't ever have to worry about the diff. (Quaife)
Looks awesome. Paint is nearly flawless. Sits just right for my liking.

Does anybody else have any similar experiences to share where they've primarily driven one car, then driven another for the first time in a while, and really realized all of the little things that they like about the car?

i have the same problem. i built my first engine and put it in (my 3L) and i am still working out the kinks. i was kinda rushed at the end so a lot didnt get done right so i have lots of squeaks rattles and it seems like every time i fix an exhaust leak i get another one that is louder.

then i have my sisters Focus for a week which is bone stock and i am like damn my car is loud. mainly the exhaust. i have a solid rear roll resistor and it rattles everything. i am thinking about getting a stock SVT exhaust to quiet things down a bit.

I had a similar situation with my mazdas. The mx6 had head work, turbo work and suspension work and was a blast to drive. But it was also more trouble to keep happy and be comfortable in. The 626 on the other hand had the stock motor and turbo but was easier to drive daily and could always be trusted. Plus the fit and finish were top notch since it was Japanese made.

I know what you mean. I drive my car, its stiff and bumpy (intrax), loud (i/h/e) Constantly doing something to it, putting money into it to fix or do something that already works totally fine lol. Has some creaks and stuff, paint isn't perfect but the car is no where near done. Looks awesome (and will look even better in a few weeks) Always Always Always clean inside and out, with a awesome shine. Your always worried about who's dinging my door etc.

Then my girlfriends Taurus rides really nice, paint is probably a little bit better scratch wise but dirty, needs a good clay, polish, and wax (next spring by yours truly). It has enough pep not to worry about anything, its quiet, its an atx so I can be lazy (although I prefer an mtx). The car is worry free. Not to mention comfortable, and no sub constantly booming in the trunk (love the sub, but it gets annoying sometimes) AND you can get that close spot because she's not paranoid on who is keying or dinging your doors.

I drive a bone stock SVT and i am totally content with what i have... Of course i want to go faster and handle better but if i wanted that i would have gotten a different car maybe... but the SVT is a perfect balance of speed, handling, and comfort. i can cruise around and not give a care in the world about whos passing me and what it sounds like... but when i feel like i want to get up and go she will preform with out any doubt and still keep up with the contenders :rolleyes:.. Just the other night i took her out with my cousins new Audi S2 coupe and he just couldnt pull away from me and my SVT sounded better and seemed to just feel better... I believe that the SVT is a near perfect car for whatever your heart desires :eek:... Whether it be with speed or just plain old comfort...

p.s. And it spanks the Crap out of stupid, loud hondas :laugh::laugh:...

You could probably get rid of a lot of the annoying road and exhaust noise in the 3L car by installing a bunch of sound deadening material in the trunk and on the floor.

Yeah, I would like to eventually. It's just a matter of finding the time. My RSTB is on the way, so that should tighten up the back half of the car and eliminate some squeaks.

You could probably get rid of a lot of the annoying road and exhaust noise in the 3L car by installing a bunch of sound deadening material in the trunk and on the floor.

Bingo :)

I love my car over a stock csvt.

I love the way it handles and rides even though it's lowered and have true dual exhaust.

I have never seen or heard a 3L before so this is what i was just saying... but i would love to drive a 3L just to see how it feels and to see if thats what i want to do

I have never seen or heard a 3L before so this is what i was just saying... but i would love to drive a 3L just to see how it feels and to see if thats what i want to do

My father compares riding inside of it to a Dodge truck with a Cummins diesel and 5" straight pipe exhaust if that means anything to you. When you get on it, it sounds great, but there is a lot of drone on my drive to work. Of course, different exhaust setups will sound differently. Mine is MSDS headers to BAT Y-pipe with universal high flow cat at the end, to Magnaflow resonator, to Bassani cat-back. It sounds great outside, and especially on the dyno. No rasp at all.

i have a purpose built cougar. it is a brutal ride, but a fun ride, always puts a smile to my face....needs more 3.0liter turbo and carPC and many other things

ksports on full stiff can't adjust the back until i cut an access hole...pogo stick, cannot drink anything cuz its always bouncing and i'll choke on it, rear goes airborne on larger bumps, can't drive the speed limit due to probable damage from michigan roads, 45 = 35 lol....but when they'res a corner or smooth road its amazing.

flowmaster trubendz converted to a side pipe....SO LOUD! windows up on the freeway or damage will occur...but sounds so effing good!

subs....refuse to turn all the way up while driving or in the car for the matter...it hurts!

brakes...amazing but noisey due to being dustbootless and 4 years old...they "make creaking" sounds

trans...beautiful

clutch...spec...stop and go equals shakey leg

but i'd never get anything else! :)

you guys are missing the point that if you have a stock contour SVT it probably has really low miles compared to the motor swapped car has. my 3L has almost 180k on it and its beautiful inside and is quiet and all that. the only problems i have is worn out axles and lower control arms. its loud, and it shifts hard with the stage3 clutch. those are things you give up for performance. in a stock car, ride and comfort comes first. in a modified car, it usually doesnt even have an effect on the way the car is built. however, guys like blackcoog build 3L cars retaining all stock components and they are super comfortable, way nice, and totally reliable.

the best way to have the best of both worlds, is to have a stock one, and a 3L one. simple as that.

Yeah, I should add.. stock is nice and all. But I modified my car the way I like it, and will do more stuff to it because thats how I like it so.. modified wins hands down :)

Back