• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dyno'd the MINI

Klasse Act

I pee with gloves on!
So I took my car out to Speed Industries last weekend and put down the following numbers, 150 hp and 173 ft/lbs of torque. I have a 2.5" T304 SS exhaust w/o the back cat, no resonater and Magnaflow muffler and drop-in K&N panel filter. Its a Mustang dyno that's called the "Heartbreaker" and its due to its lower than expected numbers compared to other dynos. They said their dyno reads about 10-12% lower than others, but a buddy of mine from the Michigan MINI site has a formula of taking the number and dividing by .86, so going by that I'm at 173/201, so how does that add to my crank numbers of 172/177 in stock form. I'm sure I can get some good answers from you guys, right:shrug::laugh:

BTW, I'm getting a GIAC tune done to the car real soon and then I'm going right back up there to see whats what!

That hp number is pretty low for other dyno plots I've seen. The high torque may come from that overboost feature that kicked in.

Speed Industry loves to talk up the fact that their dyno is out of calibration.

The whole, it's a heart breaker angle, is really lame. By their thinking, all other dynos are wrong... :rolleyes:

Roger's car is probably make a decent bit more power...according to every other dyno in the world that is apparently wrong...

I got into an argument with one of the tuners at this place...:censored::censored::censored::censored:ing joke...

I'd love to see your car dyno Pete, especially with that new GM tune or the BSR tune for your car. There was a Neon SRT-4 ACR there with Mopar stage I tune and cat-back and it put down 225 hp consistantly:shrug:

A chassis dyno tells you only how much power you make at the wheels, on that dyno, in that weather.

Any extrapolations from that data are basically meaningless.

A chassis dyno tells you only how much power you make at the wheels, on that dyno, in that weather.

unless its in a sealed room with a controlled environment, which most aren't.

agreed. dynos are for tuning. going from one dyno to another is pointless.

btw roger, my car made 190hp from 1.3L of naturally aspirated fury. :D

agreed. dynos are for tuning. going from one dyno to another is pointless.

btw roger, my car made 190hp from 1.3L of naturally aspirated fury. :D

On their dyno:confused:and BTW, I don't remember the .86 formula is basic algebra but then again that was back in 86':eek::laugh:

That does sound fun though. Kinda like revving your car in the garage with the door closed. :)
its called an exhaust ventilation system. every good shop should have one, whether its actually used like it should be or not is another matter.

When i was at UTI they kept the dyno room a constant temp and humidity. the doors stayed close except for just long enough to pull a car in. once its on the rollers, you strap it down and hook up the exhaust vents.

Back