• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New bushings installed $800?

Since you wont be pushing in bushings or balljoints you wont need a press or anything else special. All you should need is some sockets, some wrenches, a mallet, gloves, PB Blaster and some time.

Mechanic gloves would help as well so you don't bust too many knuckles.

You'll need a large pry bar, air compressor, air hammer with attachment and maybe a pickle fork. You'll also need a Sawzall to cut one of the bolt heads off to remove the bolt. You install that bolt upside down on reinstall and then cut off the bolt tip so it doesn't rub on the trans.

Thats on the 2 bolt? I thought the cutting was for the older 4 bolt.

sooo easy to do with a simple level of mechanic knowledge. I dropped my subframe and loosened the front mount and pried the subframe down. Got the bolts out and replaced the lca. and they are like 80 for a set shipped from rockauto after a coupon code. That is new lcas which include the new bushings and ball joints. Take it to Todd you will be thankful you did.

I did mine with the motor/trans out on my SVT... :)

Noticed I had a bad ball joint on one side when I pulled the motor and figured wth, might as well replace the LCA's while i'm doing upgrades to the motor/trans...

On my 99 Mystique I did them in the car. I was stubborn and didn't want to cut the bolts so I pulled the two roll restrictor bolts, and lifted the engine/trans up slightly. Then I found it this wasn't quite enough to get the bolt out, so I took the front bolt out of the subframe and pried it down with a 2x4 and this was just barely enough to replace the bolts.

I'll do the same offer as Todd. Probably about the same distance, depending on where in OH you live...

Same boat...

Same boat...

I'm in the same exact boat with my car... I always do my own work but the front end on this thing is driving me NUTS on my commute every day with darting to one side under load and the other under braking. Can someone give me the coupon code and link to get these LCA's? I'm sure at over 150k on my 98.5 SE 2.5L MTX, every bushing in the front end is toast. I know that the struts and their (top) bushings are fine as they are pretty new. Can someone send me a link and coupon code or at least point me in the right direction here? Thank you guys so much... not looking to a ~500 bill for 2 sets of "bushings" from a mechanic.

I'm in the same exact boat with my car... I always do my own work but the front end on this thing is driving me NUTS on my commute every day with darting to one side under load and the other under braking. Can someone give me the coupon code and link to get these LCA's? I'm sure at over 150k on my 98.5 SE 2.5L MTX, every bushing in the front end is toast. I know that the struts and their (top) bushings are fine as they are pretty new. Can someone send me a link and coupon code or at least point me in the right direction here? Thank you guys so much... not looking to a ~500 bill for 2 sets of "bushings" from a mechanic.
As has already been mentioned, the website is rockauto. They have a very simple to navigate menu to find any part. There is a stickied thread on here with current discount codes, search "rockauto discount."

Thank you very much, I appreciate it... I'm going to order up a pair today. Dyoel182... Ugh, that sucks! How good of a deal did I miss out on? I'm looking at the site right now but I have no clue which is which for my car... there are many different brands of 2 and 4 bolt mounting control arms... Is there a way to figure out which ones are right for my car?

unless you have a 98 SVT, you should have 2 bolt arms. if you have a 98 you could have either 2 or 4 bolt arms. no matter what though, you should double check. just go out to the car and turn the wheel all the way to one side. then look at where the LCA mounts to the subframe, if you see only 1 bolt per bushing (total of 2 bolts) then you have 2 bolt arms. 2 bolts per bushing are 4 bolt arms.

as for the deal, he got a full set of LCAs for ~$13 IIRC.

Thank you very much, I appreciate it... I'm going to order up a pair today. Dyoel182... Ugh, that sucks! How good of a deal did I miss out on? I'm looking at the site right now but I have no clue which is which for my car... there are many different brands of 2 and 4 bolt mounting control arms... Is there a way to figure out which ones are right for my car?

The deal I got was 2 bolt control arms for $6.40 a piece. A few days later the price jumped up to match the other brands and I may have been the only one to get in on it.

As far as telling 2 vs 4 bolt you just need to peek under the car. If it looks like 2 large bushings and bolts vertically on the bottom then its 2 bolt. If it looks like 4 smaller bolts with rod between the sets then its 4 bolts.

WOW... 13 bucks... jesus. Well, I'll be taking a little trip under the car when I get home today. Obviuosly I could count them, just didn't know if there was an easier way by the VIN (production number) or something along those lines. Thank you though... I will definitely be buying a pair... I would assume that the other differences are just the brand? Is it safe to assume that everyone is getting the DORMAN brand for $36.89ea.? Is it safe to buy these vs. the other brands available then?

Dorman is a perfectly good brand yes. Your 98.5 could be either style so peeking under is the sure bet before ordering.

K, thank you very much guys... I really appreciate the help. If they need to un-bolt the trans to do this... would this be a good time to buy a new trans insert as well? I swear the powertrain feels like it's on rubber bands and there's a good ammount of clunking from the front end sometimes durring a hard shift or over good sized bumps. Think it would be wise at the same time?

Its never a bad time to work on the front and rear mounts to firm them up. I'm planning on dropping my rear mount this weekend so I can squirt some poly in and stop some of the bucking.

Awesome... thank you. I'm looking right now at Rock and they only have 1 motor/trans mount listed... it looks like the tranny mount, one for an ATX and one for the MTX. Any idea what they would have the other one listed as? Looking through and can't find it anywhere...?

You wont find that rear mount listed many places and you wouldnt want to pay what they're asking when you do find it. The front piece you see there is just the insert that slides out but you'll probably find that the one you have is just fine. I highly recommend getting the Energy Suspension inserts that sandwich it and stiffen it up.

Back