• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Idea for those seeking sidemarkers. . .

94ex

CEG'er
So the other day I was driving and saw a new Z and noticed their sidemarkers and started thinking. Since SVT's 24V DOHC badge on the side is raised why not make it into a sidemarker? Seems pretty simple you could just drill some holes front and back in the area that is elevated and put some LED's in, like 3 or so. Any one else thought of this or care to attempt it and let me know since I'm no electrical guru?

So the other day I was driving and saw a new Z and noticed their sidemarkers and started thinking. Since SVT's 24V DOHC badge on the side is raised why not make it into a sidemarker? Seems pretty simple you could just drill some holes front and back in the area that is elevated and put some LED's in, like 3 or so. Any one else thought of this or care to attempt it and let me know since I'm no electrical guru?

Are you talking about making the 24V DOHC light up instead of taking it off and putting a different kind of side marker on? Because that would be sweet! I don’t think it would be too hard! I might have to look in to this.

Ok, when I got home today I will play around with my 24V DOHC badge and see if it is possible, I think it will be. Time will tell……

I'm pretty bored while I'm waiting for my copy of Jbuilder 2005 to "arrive" so I can actually do my homework. I guess I'll go play with my LS badges and see if I can figure something. It would be nice to be able to do this with the SE, GL, LS badges too.

I don't think you could use l.e.d's but maybe that bendable fiber wire that lights up. Maybe run that around the edge. But it might not shine on the 24v high output very well. Just thought I'd throw my idea in there.

someone did it wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back. i remember reading about it as a youngster:laugh: tom and i were talking about this a couple of weeks ago. basically you'd seperate the clear part from the housingsand off the back,like you would if you wanted to change the color of your ford emblems,and install some type of light behind it..really not to hard. the hardest part being the lighting.

Here is a quick sketch of what I'm talking about. I haven't seen the way others are talking about and I've been on here a while. But to give people an idea. I realize the LED's would have to be small but I think it would be a pretty cool stealth mod.

Circles represent the LED holes

scan0001_edited.jpg

I suppose you could do that. It'd have to be 3 LEDs facing forwards and 3 facing backwards. 3mm amber would probably work good. If someone wants to send me a donor badge I could experiment with it.

I dont' know how it would look facing forwards. Like I said I originally saw it on the new Z3 and they had it just in the back and rolled a little into the sides, so maybe if you could do it like 95-pgt is talking about with the back that would look cool. Just my opinion.

I tried to find a pic of the lights on but you get the idea. Just to clarify what is trying to be done. Even though the BMWs have a reflector over the light to get a 360 effect, are we going to try and make the LEDs on all sides?
Z4clearside.jpg

The glass part of the 24V badge comes out of its chrome housing pretty easily (when heated). If you sand some of the paint off the back of the glass, cut out the back of the chrome housing, and put a light behind it, it would make a cool sidemarker. I've been contemplating this for two years, but have never pulled the trigger.

My idea was to install an Audi-type sidemarker light behind the 24V badge. The only thing I didn't solve was how to attached the 24V badge so it could be easily removed to change the bulb behind it.

Last edited:
If you put LEDs in, you should never have to worry about changing a bulb. This would be a big advantage because you could weatherproof it.

Back