• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

replacing resonator with Magnaflow 10435

bxd20

CEG'er
So I bought a Magnaflow 10435 to replace my stock resonator as everyone talks of doing.

Taken the car to two shops now. The first didn't want to do the job, saying it was too long to put in the old resonator's place. I suggested they run it diagonally eliminating the bend in front of the restonator, they weren't interested.

Second place I went was willing to do it but still didn't want to go diagonal. They were going to keep the same types of bends in the system by cutting the pipes on the magnaflow and the pipes on the stock system way back. So I walked again.

Anyone have any post-install pics?? Did you run diagonally to decrease the kink in the pipe??

Thanks!

If you buy the right one it's exactly the same length as the stock one. I paid 50 bucks to have someone weld it on and it took about 20 minutes.
Keep looking around, the first shop I stopped at wouldn't do it either. Who knows why:shrug: I can take pics if you really need 'em.

Wish there was a $50 / 20 min place by me. I got one place to agree over the phone to $100, but they're out of the way.

So you're saying you didn't cut the elbow out of the front pipe just in front of the resonator? You kept the new magnaflow parallel to the length of the car, not on a slight diagonal?

I figure if they get that elbow out it will smooth the flow a bit. Not that I've been demanding that they do it that way.

Thanks.

Thinking of doing the same thing - adding the magnaflow.

Most shops in my area wont even install parts unless they buy it themselves. Apparantly $115/hr shop charges arent enough, they also have to charge 2 - 300% markup on parts. Greedy POS's.

Most shops in my area wont even install parts unless they buy it themselves. Apparantly $115/hr shop charges arent enough, they also have to charge 2 - 300% markup on parts. Greedy POS's.

I used to have people come into autozone doing price checks on parts they had installed at shops and knew they were overcharged for. A few of them would even ask me for a refund since we sold the part to the shop and they knew that.

Had mine done at local Car X, had a flow tech put on. cost $65 parts and labor. Pretty sure they carry magnaflow as well.

Had mine done at local Car X, had a flow tech put on. cost $65 parts and labor. Pretty sure they carry magnaflow as well.

Is it straight, forward and back, like the stock was? Or did they chop out the little "S" in front of the resonator and run it diagonally? Like about 15 degrees??

Anyone have recommendations??? For such a popular mod I'm surprised there aren't more opinions/suggestions in this thread.

THANKS!

my car originally had a section of straight pipe but was rather raspy. Took it in and they welded in the flow tec glass pack. The pipe was staight with no angle,glass pack is also . hope this helps

I wish the muffler shops were as cheap in my area as some other CEGers. First place I went to, the guy looked at the exhaust and seemed pretty convinced he wouldnt be able to fit a straight thru magnaflow without major work. Quoted $140 min for job. 2nd place I went to the guy didnt even look at the car but gave the same $140 quote. (CAD $)

Finally I went to a shop who've done good work for me in the past and was quoted $80. He is also going to replace the stock piping from flex pipe to the T joint in the exhaust with 2.5" tubing for an additional $120.

These guys are yankin your chain. Its such an EASY job for a good exhaust guy. It took my guy 10-15 mins max.

I took mine (same product #, IIRC) to a Muffler Man and a Tuffy, and both guys tried to tell me it wouldn't fit. I knew that was BS because it's been done many times. So I took it to a shop that Stazi recommended and they did it, along with replacing some rusted piping for $30 bucks in about 20 minutes.

Keep looking, someone will (can) do it.

finally done

finally done

Ok guys, I finally got it done! Paid too much but I was tired of visiting shop after shop.

Here's the problem. It's LOUD under decelleration. When I take my foot out of the gas in 5th gear on the highway, there is a booming sound. It's not extreme, but it's not subtle. Quite a bit louder than stock.

It's on the border of what I can tolerate.

Do you think it will quiet down much with time? How long should I wait before I make my final assessment on whether to leave it or put back the stock one?

I'm wondering if I should have gone with an offset-Magnaflow instead. :(

If you tried a magnaflow 10435 on an all-stock exhaust and found it too loud and went to something else, I'd love to hear what that was.

Thanks guys.

Its such an EASY job for a good exhaust guy.
Good being the operative word... plus you need to throw "willing" in there. Many of the old-school exhaust guys that are able, just don't want any part of changing things, (like eliminating a bend and angling the resonator). They'll cut out old and weld in new the same way with little thought, but anything that even just sounds like custom work gets their mullets all knotted up. Add to that the fact that most of the newer generation of exhaust peeps lack the skill to make sound modifications, and you're lucky to find someone that can do the work at all, let alone do it cheaply.

Do you think it will quiet down much with time?
The sound should mellow a bit, but I wouldn't expect much of a decrease in volume.

How long should I wait before I make my final assessment on whether to leave it or put back the stock one?
I would give it at LEAST a week of daily-driving.

I'm wondering if I should have gone with an offset-Magnaflow instead.
I'm pretty sure that even the offset Magnaflow is going to be the straight-through design, so it wouldn't be much quieter.

The indirect flow path of the stock unit is what really keeps the sound down. If not another indirect flow-path piece, you'll need smaller piping or different mufflers in the back, to quiet it down.

Ok guys, I finally got it done! Paid too much but I was tired of visiting shop after shop.

Here's the problem. It's LOUD under decelleration. When I take my foot out of the gas in 5th gear on the highway, there is a booming sound. It's not extreme, but it's not subtle. Quite a bit louder than stock.

It's on the border of what I can tolerate.

Do you think it will quiet down much with time? How long should I wait before I make my final assessment on whether to leave it or put back the stock one?

I'm wondering if I should have gone with an offset-Magnaflow instead. :(

If you tried a magnaflow 10435 on an all-stock exhaust and found it too loud and went to something else, I'd love to hear what that was.

Thanks guys.

That pretty much mirrors my experience. Got the same resonator installed today and also replaced all the piping from the flexpipe to the t joint . the car is now so effing loud its unbearable. And ... its got tons of drone. I'm hoping it'll mellow out in a few days but I kinda doubt it will.

Would a high flow muffler (replacing the resonator)cut down a lot of the noise but still be an improvement flow wise over the stock resonator?

DRONE - That's a good way of putting it. At certain lower RPMs (2500 or so) and cruising, the drone is almost unbearable. Likewise when you get off the gas pedal while going down the highway, anywhere in like the 60 to 70mph range especially.

I'll give it a couple more days but this is day #3 and it doesn't seem better than day #1.

Back