• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Valve Cover Replacement

realness1978

CEG'er
I am going to replace the valve cover gasket. I brought the valve cover gasket from autozone. The clerk suggested I put silicone on the valve cover along with the gasket for added protection. Do you think this is a good idea?

I am going to replace the valve cover gasket. I brought the valve cover gasket from autozone. The clerk suggested I put silicone on the valve cover along with the gasket for added protection. Do you think this is a good idea?

Personally no... you don't want any of that silicone falling into your valvetrain.

Did you also get the sprak plug well gaskets? Thats what you don't want to leak. You'll end up with oil in your plug wells, which will cause miss fires.

There are a couple of spots on the VC gasket that REQUIRE silicone, but definitely not all over.

The points where the timing cover and head meet have little textured spots where you are supposed to use RTV. You can see them on the gasket. Use a dab there. That's it.

Do you have a Zetec (4cyl) or Duratec (6cyl)? if the Zetec then you do not need any RTV to do the valve cover gasket.

Back