• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

sidemarker question

BAD SVT

Addicted CEG'er
hey guyz. i've got a quick question. i don't know much about electrical stuff. on the audi a6 marker writeup, it calls for a 30ohm 20watt resistor. i've searched high n low for them. no store seems to carry that specific range. my question therefore is; what other range can i use instead? for eg, 30 25, 30 30, 40 20? see what am saying?

whats wrong?

whats wrong?

with the help of brapple, i was able to figure this thing out. at least thats what i thought. can someone pls tell me what i'm doing wrong here? its exactly the schematics as outlined in the how to for the sidemarkers. here's some info that should help

-two resistors are 100ohm 10watt & 50ohm 10watt, and are run parallel to each other(new)
-the diodes are 3A each(new)
-the white wire with the markings is the ground as i only had white wires laying around.(new also)
-the only thing i didnt change in this whole assembly are the splice connectors. they dont just not work, do they?

so what am i doing wrong? the other side worked by the way. this side just doesnt wanna budge. here are pix... thanx guys. oh, dont worry about the red and white wire wound up further back in there. they are of no consequence.

sidemarkersematics.gif

HPIM2710.jpg

HPIM2706.jpg

HPIM2708.jpg

ok it looks like you got the large resitors like I did and ran them in parallel to get ~30 ohms.

what I don't get is that you either have two diodes together or two more resitors.

the wiring diagram in the how-to is correct.

one wire tot he side marker is ground.

the other wire splits to the resistors and connects to the running lights and the other goes to one diode to the turn signal.

remember diodes are directional.

ok it looks like you got the large resitors like I did and ran them in parallel to get ~30 ohms.

what I don't get is that you either have two diodes together or two more resitors.

the wiring diagram in the how-to is correct.

one wire tot he side marker is ground.

the other wire splits to the resistors and connects to the running lights and the other goes to one diode to the turn signal.

remember diodes are directional.

yeah, the diodes are 3amps each. thats what the "how to" called for on each side. thats exactly the way i've got it. i also turned the diodes the other way... nothing. this is the same set up on the other side which works. there isnt any fuse somewhere that i dont know about right?

yes the slice connectors can not work. give then a good squeeze with some pliers to see if it will dig into the wire more.

yeah, the diodes are 3amps each. thats what the "how to" called for on each side. thats exactly the way i've got it. i also turned the diodes the other way... nothing. this is the same set up on the other side which works. there isnt any fuse somewhere that i dont know about right?

no you are using 2 diodes at once, you only need one per side marker.

as for a fuse plug your corner light back in and try it. although they should work without it.

did you strip the wires before putting then into the splice conncetors? the wire from the sidemarker to the splice connect? you don't need to. the ground looks like you did.

did you strip the wires before putting then into the splice conncetors? the wire from the sidemarker to the splice connect? you don't need to. the ground looks like you did.

yeah i did, to make sure it gripped well. as for the diodes, i didnt know i had to use only one. the writeup said two per side. the way i have it is half on and full on with blinker. i'll doublecheck the diodes and the splice connectors. at this point, thats all i didnt touch.

no you are using 2 diodes at once, you only need one per side marker.

as for a fuse plug your corner light back in and try it. although they should work without it.

u're right brian. it is only one diode per side. it works now:). thanx a lot. someone might wanna update that write-up.

edit- for all those who would wanna do this someday. hope my pictures help. its quite straightforward. except the part where the "how-to" becomes misleading. the way i routed it is so that the markers will be half on with the parking lights, and only brighten with the blinkers.

u're right brian. it is only one diode per side. it works now:). thanx a lot. someone might wanna update that write-up.

edit- for all those who would wanna do this someday. hope my pictures help. its quite straightforward. except the part where the "how-to" becomes misleading. the way i routed it is so that the markers will be half on with the parking lights, and only brighten with the blinkers.

I'm not sure where the how-to is miss leading. I followed it and along with another diagram Bk posted i wired then up without any issue.

the how-to is for the half bright running and full bring with the turn signal.

yeah i did, to make sure it gripped well. as for the diodes, i didnt know i had to use only one. the writeup said two per side. the way i have it is half on and full on with blinker. i'll doublecheck the diodes and the splice connectors. at this point, thats all i didnt touch.

with those splice connector all you do is insert the wire and close it up. if the proper size is used it will cut through the insulation and connect to the wire inside. the insulation will then hold the wire in place.

I'm not sure where the how-to is miss leading. I followed it and along with another diagram Bk posted i wired then up without any issue.

the how-to is for the half bright running and full bring with the turn signal.

i'll show u. heres a quote from the write-up...
"Done this way, you'll also need two electrical components per side:
30-ohm, 20 watt resistor
3A rectifying diode"

i'll show u. heres a quote from the write-up...
"Done this way, you'll also need two electrical components per side:
30-ohm, 20 watt resistor
3A rectifying diode"

well the way I must have read it is to make the wiring up you will need two components per side, ie one resitor and one diode which equals two components.

but since we couldn't find one 30-ohm resitor we needed two resitors and one diode which would be 3 components per side.

I didn't read it is two resitors and two diodes per side.

well the way I must have read it is to make the wiring up you will need two components per side, ie one resitor and one diode which equals two components.

but since we couldn't find one 30-ohm resitor we needed two resitors and one diode which would be 3 components per side.

I didn't read it is two resitors and two diodes per side.

oh, i see it now. i read it the wrong way. when he said "done this way" i thought the first way, which is just off and on, was different. as in it required a different number of components. my mistake. thats what happens when u minor in english:).

Back