• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Most mileage you have gotten to a full tank.

In my 2.5l I've gotten about 365 on one tank going baout 72mph at about 60 miles a day. I wish it was better.

Now in my fusion I went all the way from Ranson, WV to Myrtle Beach, SC on one tank and filled up when I got there. It was about 560 miles or so on the clock. I know it was pushing 38 mpg avg.

Getting used to the small fuel capacity in the SVT has taken some doing. My SHOs carried 18.4 gallons, and my girl's 1986 Mercury Cougar holds 22.1. Despite the fact that the Contour can edge each of them in fuel economy, it can't outrun them.

I've been getting about 320 a tank pretty regularly lately. Best in this Mystique has been 347 miles. My typical mileage is about 24 mpg, but I'm not babying the car either.

I miss my old Contour. I could get more than 30mpg outa that V-6 on the highway... a feat I hope to equal with my 3L.

1026 miles once and it was all CITY driving!!! 71.2 mpg. i win:shocked:

Having your car stolen and driven around for a thousand miles before the cops find it doesn't count. Besides. The theifs had to fill it at least once. Duh! So that only counts for 35mpg at best. You don't win. :laugh:

I comes before E, except if your retarded.
Oh the irony...

Best calculated mileage was 32.02MPG. 317 miles driven and 9.901 gallons filled (second to last gas fill on my trip from California). I averaged 28-30MPG throughout the trip.

Last edited:
WOW. 25mpg seems low. Even at 80mph. I've seen up to 28mpg at 90.

Nope its about right has discussed with fellow STOC`ers and thats the norm.
Didnt buy the 200 to "poodle" around though love the sound of the induction roar and zorst to much to wanna keep to the limit!

I get about 290 per tank on my svt with 182000 miles on it,, Was getting better with the summer fuel,,,same fuel filter and running converter CEL's wish I was getting better....

26.3 --SVT

26.3 --SVT

Two tanks of gas so far on the new beasty. Stop and go commuting, 45 miles one way. Probably 20 minutes in the stop and go zones.

2nd tank was 358 miles and took 13.59 gallons. Both came out to 26.3 mpg. Perhaps some new plugs might get that up a little. Not sure if they've been replaced yet (73,000 miles on the od). Still need to get the carbon out of the EGR valve.

my old SE, usually about 340

In the SVT i'm lucky to get 275, earlier in the year it was about 200 to a tank...

The Festiva goes about 400.....and takes in about 8.7 gallons :D

Last tank I filled up, it equaled out to be around 24mpg
I'm very light footed, drive mainly highway at 70-75 mph, coast to red lights, shift low, etc etc.
I know I have a bad O2 sensor, so I'm sure that's some of the doing. I'll get around to a full-out tune up. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
the average tank is 300-320. Ive gone 366 a couple weeks ago traveling on interstate and filled up somewhere between 1/4 and the empty light. think it came out to 31mpg

Just got 26.7 mpg in the last fill up. Haven't had it this good in a long while. I suspect it is the change of weather (with no use of A/C or defrost) and mostly level highway driving.

I must be leadfooting my SVTs too much. The best I've gotten is 370 miles to a tank (all highway) which equalled 28mpg. Driving 85mph average on the highway probably doesn't help. Us Atlantians <sp> don't know how to drive under 80.

.. Driving 85mph average on the highway probably doesn't help. Us Atlantians <sp> don't know how to drive under 80.

Hey Bud. FYI. The 85 which goes around Atlanta is the Interstate number, not the speed limit. :laugh:

Back