• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can you beat this?

I tried shifting at 2K today and it is very difficult. My normal shift point is between 2.5 and 3K. Tried to keep the RPM on the highway under 2500 and that was not possible while staying safe. The overall flow of traffic is too fast to go any slower reguardless of the lane.

Minimum speeds, even on highways are CRAZY!!! as are Maximum speeds. Minimum speeds are there to prevent people from driving unsafe vehicles on the highway. Such as scooters and overloaded pickup trucks.

Reebs, I certainly understand your quest for best fuel economy and applaud the level to which you have obtained but I think your are crazy and endagering others. Even though you are traveling within the posted limits I believe you could still be cited for failure to keep pace with normal traffic flow. I know if I were a LEO I would stop you. Reasonable people do not expect to encounter traffic that slow on the highway (unless it is a known spot for congestion) just as they don't expect to be passed by someone driving 120.

IMO you should always be traveling a min of 5mph faster than the traffic to your right and never greater that 20mph faster than the traffic to the right. Of course that speed is a judgement call since there is no practicle accurate way to measure the speed difference either for drivers or police. It would have to be enforced by the law of reasonable and prudent.

I have no problems driving behind a person doing the posted speed limit in the left lane if they are going faster than the traffic in the lane to the right. Road rage occurs when one person is following the strict letter of the law and imposing that on everyone else. Many of them are probably afraid of being ticketed for speeding when in almost all cases they have 0 chance of being stopped for speeding.

I have passed numerous LEO's on the highway going over the posted limit in the left lane and traveling in the same direction. I was not going overly fast and was keeping trafic flow moving. They did not care.

People are also unaware that in almost if not all states have the KRETP law. Keep Right Except To Pass. Meaning if you are not passing the traffic to your right REGUARDLESS OF SPEED GTF out of the left lane.

Depending on the Gas I will average between 280 and 320 miles on a tank. That is usually 22-25mpg. This tank on city streets I am going to try to shift around 2K rpm and keep it around 2.5K rpm on the highway as prudent. I have 134K miles on the car. Replaced plugs and wires 2 years ago. All original exhaust and O2 sensors.

Just a thought here, but isn't running the car completely out of gas, a good way to kill the fuel pump? :shrug:

Sure is. Not only will the pump run hot but it may also suck up some crap thats sitting on the bottom of the tank.

People are also unaware that in almost if not all states have the KRETP law. Keep Right Except To Pass. Meaning if you are not passing the traffic to your right REGUARDLESS OF SPEED GTF out of the left lane.

Yep I actually got pulled over and issued a warning for it once. There was literally no one near me but for some reason I had chosen the left lane and he kindly asked me not to.

I was the original owner of my old SVT, and I made a trip down to Nashville, TN. If I remember correctly, I did 572 miles on a single tank. That was probably just a few months after I bought the car new, and it was just broken in. On my way up to Michigan with the 3L, I was doing roughly 30mpg, getting on it from time to time, and with some traffic.

Mark

That is impressive Mark. I will see what I can do with it on my way back down to Texas. The only time so far that the car has been running right for a full tank (not driving around trying to get past 4k for the hell of it) I got 22 MPG in it and that was with mostly city driving and an autocross event. We'll see what happens on this next fill up. It's been mostly highway so far, but 80 MPH highway...

87 got me 29 in my stock SVT... :shrug: I'm good with that considering that the factory rating is only 29.

I'm guessing he gets around 250 miles on that tank.

I had that beat before the needle was even down to half a tank as I had already said. I wasn't happy with that mileage either because I was forced to drive the car hard for 100 of those miles so I started fresh on a new tank. It may still be a few days before I run this tank out because 18 hours of driving doesn't come too fast! If Mark hit 557 or whatever he said, I know with even a little more conservative driving I can hit 600 miles. Anyone else trying to beat me? Leave a few minutes early and lighten up your right feet people. It is quite relaxing and the middle fingers you get are priceless. Today I had a guy on the "Southfield Freeway (55mph Speed Limit)" get pissed that I was chugging along at 45 and he had only been stuck behind me for a hundred yards so; upon a clearing he ripped his Dodge Charger with huge chrome wheels around me flinging his arms and punched it up to who knows how fast. Less than a minute later around the bend I went chugging along even slower as he was coming to a stop on the shoulder with the police behind him. It was pretty priceless to say the least. I even got a dirty look when he saw me going by him. :p

87mph or 87 octane? And are you sure your speedo is correct?

87 MPH, which was actually more like 89 MPH accounting for the tire size difference. Considering that I was passing everything on the road, and made it to Missouri (430 miles) in 5 hours, yeah I was going that fast. My speedo is fine.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I actually got a little more than 29, when accounting for the tire size difference. I would have driven about 10 miles further than the odometer actually read.

Your right Reebs, it is really relaxing taking things a little slower. At first it was just annoying but when you get passed the fact that you don't have to keep up with everybody it's really nice. I just filled up and I'll see what I can do. How much gas do you think engine breaking saves? I would think it would be more economical just to throw it in neutral and break. You wouldn't wear out your clutch ($$$) as fast too.

Engine breaking is a bad idea and should be avoided at all cost. However, engine braking apparently shuts off all fuel delivery - no idle throttle. :)
c

i'm taking my zx3 to nc this weekend,i'm shooting for 40+ i plan on doing 55-60 on the highway,and once i get on crazy ass 95 south i'll step it up to 60 all the time:laugh:

But they'd be going 45 in a 45-65 zone with multiple lanes for you to pass them at your leisure. You'd have no right to mad about anything.
Maybe in North Texas it doesn't cause a problem, but somebody going 45 (at any hour of the day) will back up most highways around here.

I HAVE often been stuck behind people doing 45, and there's always a wall of cars to your left when this happens (since everybody behind you is moving to the left to pass). On rare occasions I have resorted to cutting off cars, just to pass the guy doing 45.

Just a thought here, but isn't running the car completely out of gas, a good way to kill the fuel pump? :shrug:

Only if you run it below the pumps pickup level for any extended amout of time. The bigger killer is the possibility of picking up all the crap that's settled out at the bottom of the tank and pulling it through the pump/lines.

And I thought I was doing good pulling 24 mpg on my 4.4L V8 BMW.......... :blackeye: :laugh:

I don't think I can ever get good gas mileage on my SVT. The urge to drive fast kills me everytime. If it was stock, it would be much easier to just cruise. The drone of my exhaust and the tone never changing would drive me insane on a long drive.

Engine breaking is a bad idea and should be avoided at all cost. However, engine braking apparently shuts off all fuel delivery - no idle throttle. :)
c

this is true. I have coasted down some hills in neutral and while in gear. while in neutral the A/F gauge reads like your at idle but while in gear it just reads lean.

Only if you run it below the pumps pickup level for any extended amout of time. The bigger killer is the possibility of picking up all the crap that's settled out at the bottom of the tank and pulling it through the pump/lines.

thats what a fuel filter is for ... although I see your point. and actually when I changed my fuel pump recently the bottom of the tank was actually pretty clean.

c

how is engine braking bad? if your worried about damage to the clutch from downshifting, know that every time you down shift you lose the whole point of engine braking. your best option is to leave it in whatever gear you are in and then put in neutral once the RPMs reach about 1000, which should be close to being stopped.

this is true. I have coasted down some hills in neutral and while in gear. while in neutral the A/F gauge reads like your at idle but while in gear it just reads lean.

IDK where everybody seems to have come up with this idea that the PCM completely shuts off the injectors on decel (engine braking). for an experiment this morning i set my scan guage to display injector pulse width. at idle the pulse width was at about 450-500 (milliseconds i presume). while decelerating with the car in gear (engine braking) the pulse width dropped to ~200. IF the PCM did actually shut them off then the pulse width would be 0.

IDK where everybody seems to have come up with this idea that the PCM completely shuts off the injectors on decel (engine braking). for an experiment this morning i set my scan guage to display injector pulse width. at idle the pulse width was at about 450-500 (milliseconds i presume). while decelerating with the car in gear (engine braking) the pulse width dropped to ~200. IF the PCM did actually shut them off then the pulse width would be 0.

sorry I wasn't saying that the fuel was shut off, that really doesn't make sense. what I was getting at was it uses less fuel engine breaking then it would if you where in neutral.

I also noticed in my SVT that going down hills with cruise control on the high on the A/F is at a greater value then if the cruise was off. kinda that same thing here.

for an experiment this morning i set my scan guage to display injector pulse width. at idle the pulse width was at about 450-500 (milliseconds i presume). while decelerating with the car in gear (engine braking) the pulse width dropped to ~200. IF the PCM did actually shut them off then the pulse width would be 0.

Dont take everything the scangauge displays as gospel. On my SVT it showed some weird numbers either from getting slow data from the PCM or doing some weird approximations compared to using it in other cars. Thats why I returned mine pretty quickly.

Dont take everything the scangauge displays as gospel. On my SVT it showed some weird numbers either from getting slow data from the PCM or doing some weird approximations compared to using it in other cars. Thats why I returned mine pretty quickly.
Considering i have it set to the fastest data rate, and the pulse width is not calculated, its an output from the PCM. Ill hook up the laptop and datalog it this afternoon if you would prefere.

Back