• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tranny is here! But is it good? (pix)

Why is it that every thread in here about transmissions you have to throw in your 2 cents about terry haines. We get the point that you obviously don't like him, or have had a bad experience with him. Guess what, many many people are pleased with the work hes done. SOOOoooo, why dont you just chill and keep it to yourself, because I'm pretty sure thats against one of CEGs 5,000 rules.

Edit... waits for pudmunkie to freak out in response, lol...

I try to help CEG, not :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: about it like you. Terry overcharges; there is no reason to send your trans to Terry when you can take it to a trans shop to have it done, or send it to livinsvt or liberty for half the :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing price!

There is also no point in 'freaking out' because in the end, you're just a whiney douche bag that no one likes, so it doesnt really matter what you say or think. :shrug:

Tis more than true. I've seen retard transmission rebuilds that were sealed back up with RTV! I only use anaerobic. Even your best friend Terry Haines uses it solely. :)

Whats so bad about using RTV? I used it on my 'retard' transaxle rebuild as well as putting the diff cover back on the rear axle of my Camaro (three times). I've got more then 40k on my SVT trans and a combined mileage of something around 60k on the Camaro... no problems ever. This is the first time I've heard of anaerobic :shrug: and I've worked with cars since I was 14.

If i respond to this I;m gauranteed to get banned. You;re not worth my time tough guy!

Not just tough on the net, I'll say all that :censored::censored::censored::censored: to your face too!

I like to think I can get away with that comment due to the fact that ive never cried to the mod staff (pre or post mod status) for anything. You on the other hand....

and FWIW, you broke a rule before I even had a chance to respond. Dont flamebait.

Whats so bad about using RTV? I used it on my 'retard' transaxle rebuild as well as putting the diff cover back on the rear axle of my Camaro (three times). I've got more then 40k on my SVT trans and a combined mileage of something around 60k on the Camaro... no problems ever. This is the first time I've heard of anaerobic :shrug: and I've worked with cars since I was 14.

RTV is probably the correct material for the diff cover as it is what many come from the factory with.

For joining two pieces of aluminum, the anaerobic sealer is far superior.

the way I understand it is if it squeezes out into the trans when bolted together would you rather have something that stay liquid (the anaerobic sealer) or would you want it to be a solid chunck that could get stuck in something (rtv).

I have heard of people finding chuncks of rtv in the oil pump pickup that have caused major engine problems.

the way I understand it is if it squeezes out into the trans when bolted together would you rather have something that stay liquid (the anaerobic sealer) or would you want it to be a solid chunck that could get stuck in something (rtv).

I have heard of people finding chuncks of rtv in the oil pump pickup that have caused major engine problems.
if it squeezes out then you have applied to much sealer. the biggest reason for using anaerobic sealer is, as Big Jim stated, it seals better to the aluminum (but you can get away with RTV in most cases).

Do I really need to try and find pictures so you guys can see why RTV is bad? The chunks of broken up RTV won't faze the gears, they clog up and prevent the bearings from being properly lubricated which can and most likely will cause premature failure. Plus, redoing a trans that had the RTV chunks clogging it up is a pain to clean out. And anaerobic also acts as a glue to seal the case together. Even if the case doesn't need to be "glued" together like the anaerobic does, it is impossible to do such a thin and perfect bead of RTV to prevent it from oozing into the trans case. Anaerobic is easy to find at almost any auto parts stores and it is only around $15 IIRC for a tube that has lasted many trans case sealings. Transaxles aren't going to blow apart because they were sealed with RTV, but I should put a sticky up saying that anaerobic is the way to go because it seems many people don't know this.

And to Rawburt and Pud, Go bicker in someone else forum!

Reebs

The other main reason for using Anerobic is it seals to imperfect surfaces and can fill gaps/scratches/knicks etc... Works great. Not sure how you can get by with one tube for so long. I use about 3/4 of a tube per case. Were not talking a thick bead here. You can use rtv, its not impossible to get a small bead to seal and not leak into the case. I just find anerobic seals better in these situations and is more forgiving also for mostly the reasons I first stated. With rtv you also have to be careful not to breake the beed, and to properly fill the gapes if you do.

The lovely trans you made me will be yellow on monday. Yippie! I might show pics soon, but I kinda want to wait until the motor/trans is all put together.

post-a1135-

this stuff :D

HEHEHE - I'm glad you like it, we'll see how you feel after you see the bill :D :laugh:

p.s. - not powder coated, wet spray

Transmission from Everdrive.Com

Transmission from Everdrive.Com

I was just Curious on your experience dealing with Everdrive.Com. How was the transmission? Did they offer you a warranty? Considering buying from them> What do you advise. Need an Automatic for 1999 V6. Thanks for a reply
OK, my new (used) tranny from EverDrive Parts has arrived. Here it is all wrapped up:

Wrapped.jpg

It seems to be clean and, from the outside, in relatively good condition...

Front.jpg

One thing though: This little bushing seems to be partially damaged. Will it work like this? What is it? Can I get the mechanic to nab the one off of my old transmission during installation? Can I order this somewhere? What is it called?

That little half-piece stuck on there... Is it actually a piece of the transmission, like a rubber bushing, or is it a broken-off end piece of a control arm connector that is not supposed to come with the transmission, but resides in the car itself?

DamageZoom.jpg

Back