• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tranny is here! But is it good? (pix)

Savior

CEG'er
OK, my new (used) tranny from EverDrive Parts has arrived. Here it is all wrapped up:

Wrapped.jpg

It seems to be clean and, from the outside, in relatively good condition...

Front.jpg

One thing though: This little bushing seems to be partially damaged. Will it work like this? What is it? Can I get the mechanic to nab the one off of my old transmission during installation? Can I order this somewhere? What is it called?

That little half-piece stuck on there... Is it actually a piece of the transmission, like a rubber bushing, or is it a broken-off end piece of a control arm connector that is not supposed to come with the transmission, but resides in the car itself?

DamageZoom.jpg

hi buddy from the looks of it its the shift cables bushes that u will have on yur car it looks like they ripped them out when they took the gearbox out and left them there, just prise them off as u dont need them, u will have 2 shift cables that will go on there and in that shift cable u will have these bushes in them, they just push on, as said u dont need them hope this helps :)

As already posted, you don't need that. It is part of the cable end. Take it off and throw it away.

Now, the other one, the one that didn't get damaged, take it off without damaging it and save it. When that bushing wears out you have to replace the entire cable end (some dealers want to sell you the entire cable set). You may be able to install the bushing only without changing the entire cable end (or cable set).

Looks like they spraypainted it gray to make it look cleaner..... atleast it didn't show up like this (mine, yesterday):
3Lbuild003.jpg

FedEx busted the tote it was in and got rid of all the packaging material and threw it in a box with 2 pieces of bubble wrap :nonono:

P.S. This is a built trans, not a stocker.....

WTF?!!! Claim that shiz.

To the original poster. You need a new slave by the looks of it. Also remove the hydralic line as well and throw it away.

As already posted, you don't need that. It is part of the cable end. Take it off and throw it away.

Now, the other one, the one that didn't get damaged, take it off without damaging it and save it. When that bushing wears out you have to replace the entire cable end (some dealers want to sell you the entire cable set). You may be able to install the bushing only without changing the entire cable end (or cable set).

I just did the bushing replacement on my car.... have to buy the whole cable end from the dealer (part number in my topic on this forum) which was $8.99 + tax at the local dealer. Then you push the bushing out of the new end and push it into the old one still on your car. Again, there is info and a couple pics in my thread on this.... http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=32349

WTF?!!! Claim that shiz.

To the original poster. You need a new slave by the looks of it.

As in a slave-cylinder? I just had my entire clutch assembly and slave cylinder replaced with new ones about 7k ago... Is this the same slave cylinder you are refering to? Should I have the mechanic pull the one currently in my car and use it with this tranny?

Looks like they spraypainted it gray to make it look cleaner..... atleast it didn't show up like this (mine, yesterday):

FedEx busted the tote it was in and got rid of all the packaging material and threw it in a box with 2 pieces of bubble wrap :nonono:

P.S. This is a built trans, not a stocker.....

:censored::censored::censored::censored: joe!

Is the case cracked at all? I would think that internals would be fine but I will make sure with Brett as he is the trans man. You'll be ok having a shop cracking the case I bet, but I wouldn't want them taking the gears apart because they will probably re-use the snap rings.

let me or brett know if you need anything. Mother :censored::censored::censored::censored:ers.

Last edited:
I will be sending pics of the trans case to Brett to see what was there before it was shipped. Some dings look fresh for sure. I wish they would have just told me "hey the tote tipped over and it cracked apart" so atleast I wouldn't have to worry if it was dropped off a stack of :censored::censored::censored::censored: in a truck and had it roll around for a day in the back.....
I will deter them from moving any of the gears in/out unless they are seeing damage so severe on the outside that there is probably damage through the case.

Blu_Fuz - Please tell me that red crap between the case halves isn't FIPG. If it is, I wonder if the "built" trans was built just as sloppy...:shocked:

LMFAO. Its anaerobic, the ONLY sealant that should be used on the trans. It is the nature of the sealant to ooze out like that, It only activated where there is no oxygen. Soooooooo the stuff that pushes outside of the trans case will get wiped / fall off as time goes on.

I'd send my trans to Brett and have him rebuild it Drunk and blindfolded before I would send it to Terry Haines or buy a reman'ed unit from 'everdrive'. You think everdrive cares enough to replace all the snap rings and inspect every gear? I doubt it. They probably just replace the one thing thats wrong with the trans, just like Re-man'd alternators from murrays and autozone.

Last edited:
Trans is great, said the local trans shop. I asked them what the red stuff was, and they described it and told me it is normal and will wear off. Case is good, no cracks, ding'd a little but could be from removal out of old car combined with being damaged from fedEx.

I just cleaned the case with oxyclean and that green degreaser stuff. The case will be painted on monday by a body shop. I don't know what color to go with though...
-yellow
-dark gunmetal
-?

I have been leaning towards yellow so you can actually see the trans and the gunmetal might look to "OEMish". FYI I am still doing subtle yellow accents with this build. The oil pan was going to be the same yellow also, but in powder coat.

I'd send my trans to Brett and have him rebuild it Drunk and blindfolded before I would send it to Terry Haines or buy a reman'ed unit from 'everdrive'. You think everdrive cares enough to replace all the snap rings and inspect every gear? I doubt it. They probably just replace the one thing thats wrong with the trans, just like Re-man'd alternators from murrays and autozone.

Why is it that every thread in here about transmissions you have to throw in your 2 cents about terry haines. We get the point that you obviously don't like him, or have had a bad experience with him. Guess what, many many people are pleased with the work hes done. SOOOoooo, why dont you just chill and keep it to yourself, because I'm pretty sure thats against one of CEGs 5,000 rules.

Edit... waits for pudmunkie to freak out in response, lol...

LMFAO. Its anaerobic, the ONLY sealant that should be used on the trans. It is the nature of the sealant to ooze out like that, It only activated where there is no oxygen. Soooooooo the stuff that pushes outside of the trans case will get wiped / fall off as time goes on.

Yes, it is a used tranny, with god-only-knows how many miles on it. I might be a complete bomb. But then, it's not meant to be my ultimate savior, only to hold me over till I can get the cash to send my old tranny (I'm keeping it) to be built up professionally. I just needed a cheap trans fix RIGHT NOW since m current one is very near death. In any case, the thing has a three-year warranty from EverDrive; if it's a total POS I can ship it back to them and get a replacement. It's basically only a temp.

Back