• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What's in YOUR crankcase?

wushock92

CEG'er
Hutchinson, KS (yup, finally sold the house)
...with apologies to Captial One.

I'd like to know what oil y'all are using. You know, conventional or synthetic, what weights. That kind of thing. I've thought it interesting my 1.8L MG calls for 20w50 and my 2.0L Zetec calls for 10w30.

If it wasn't for this forum and all its fine participants, I would have gotten so frustrated at this car and gotten rid of it. Thanks to y'all, I want to try to keep it running forever!

Store brand 5w30. Oil is oil, unless it's synthetic, which is a marginal improvement at best. As long as it meets API guidelines and is the proper weight, it's all good. My other car gets German Castrol 0w30 Synth (Probably not cost effective). As for filters, I use Motorcraft or PureONE. Since the question will inevitably come up, I drain at 4000 miles with conventional oil and 5000 with synthetic.

Mobil 1 in all 4 vehicles.
Cougar, SVT and F350 swap between Motorcraft and Mobil 1 filters every other oil change.
MS6 gets the filter from the dealership.

bobistheoilguy.com for all your motor oil conversation...

I just put mobile 1 5w30 in my 96 SE [has spent its life on valvoline and later maxlife switching between 5 and 10w]... car has very minor oil seepage, wanted to give it a run of some light synthetic to see if it increases the oil loss any.

and the 99 cougar has always run 5w20 mobile 1

the SVT and the SeVT-T get Mobil 1 5w-30 and a motocraft filter.

the Mystique get Castrol GTX and a motorcraft filter.

SVT:
Mobil 1 5W30 and a motorcraft filter

Zetec before rebuild:
valvoline high mileage 5W30 and motorcraft filter

Zetec after rebuild and turbo:
Mobil 1 10W40 and motorcraft filter

The 95 had basically nothing but Mobil 1 5W-30 in it for its whole life.
The SVT, I have no idea. I started off with Supertec full syn 5W-30 but this last oil change I went to Valvoline Full Syn High Milage 5W-30. If I had a newer engine in there I would be using Amzoil Full Syn.

98 SVT:
6.5 quarts of Mobil 1 5w30, Mobil 1 or K&N filter, and 1 quart of Bar's Leak Head Gasket Repair.

IS300:
Whatever my buddy puts in at the dealership...:laugh:

I've thought about going with a synthetic. Buddy of mine switched to syn in his V6 Dakota and saw a gain in gas mileage. Right now I'm using Quaker 10W30 and whatever filter Prolube puts on. When I change it, I lean towards Wix filters.

I'm really enjoying reading everybody's input. :cool:

Because all my engines, except the Duratec in the CSVT, are flat or slider tappet camshaft motors, I like oils with all the ZDDP and Phosphorus EP anti-wear additives.

As a result, everything has Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic in the crankcase, including the CSVT because I don't want to be bothered keeping more than one type of oil on the shelf.

"What? That's diesel truck oil, you can't run that in a gas engine!"

Think again, its API certified SJ, SH, and SL, so it's rated for gas engines 2004 and older, per this document from the API (second page):
http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/categories/upload/EngineOilGuide2006.pdf

Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic information here:
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework...html/iwgen/products/product_rotellasynth.html

I refuse to run SM rated Energy Conserving oils in any of my motors.

Filter is a remoted Mobil 1 M1-301 (FL1-A equivalent) on -10AN lines, seen in this thread:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?p=402756#post402756

Pennzoil HD30 in the Craftsman lawn mower, which it's been getting for every year of the 21 years I've been using it.

Gary M.

Last edited:
valvoline 5w-30, with a valvoline filter....oil is still very clean after 3,000 miles. I love my duratec :)

Adam

Currently M1 5w-30 with a K&N filter but next change will be a Maxlife blend with MC filter. Maxlife is a great tough synthetic blend.

98 SVT/2000 SVT:
6.5 quarts of Mobil 1, 5w30, Motorcraft or WIX filter

08 Exploder:
I haven't changed the oil yet, it's only got 2600 miles on it.

Got the first oil change on the CSVT about a month ago when it had 2,800 miles on it. Read the owners manuel and it did not reccomend synthetic until you've hit 5K miles. I still ended up putting Mobil 1 synthetic 5w 30 in.

Back