• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Headers anyone?

He told me to call him to see if the guy would make another set & what they would cost. :rolleyes:
"Hey Mr Salesman, I called that guy about the headers and he said he didn't do them anymore cause some people had problems with them. He said you should scrap them. Do you want us to get rid of them for you?"

I just wonder if he really believes that some guy he knows made them. I'll see what he says when I tell him they look just like SHM headers.

Wow i havn't seen a set looking that good in a long time. When i first joined those were already thrown towards the back and the msds headers took the lead.

They really do look sexy!!!:drool: :drool:

IIRC wasn't the dyno comparison to the msds vs SH headers almost identical, only the SH headers had lower tq numbers but just a few 3-4 whp gain.

iirc the shms had better top end,i think the band was shifted. its been YEARS,but i think gtopete dyno'd his.

iirc the shms had better top end,i think the band was shifted. its been YEARS,but i think gtopete dyno'd his.

He did ended up dynoing them. The end result was los of low end tq. But only a few whps #'s.

He mentioned he didn't really care, he was just glad he had a part of history on his car.

I would have to agree also.

He did ended up dynoing them. The end result was los of low end tq. But only a few whps #'s.
Wow... long tubes causing a LOSS of low-end torque. That goes against every exhaust tech article I've ever read. I would have been PISSED if they were MY headers.

iirc the primaries were too big. generally long tubes have skinnier primaries than shortys...so i've always seen

I'm going to try finind his dyno results, its ben so long since he postd them i think almost 3-4 years.:shrug:

OKay here was his information i found, no dyno compariso but we can already figure the rest out from here.

Edit - info added on GTO PETES

Mustang dyno:
Max Power: 202.4 @ 6500 RPM
Max Torque: 177.0 @ 5750 RPM

My mods of note at the time of dyno:
3.0 hybrid
Ported & polished heads
SHM long tube headers
Extrude Honed Power Flow UIM
65mm throttle body, optimized
AFE 8" filter w/ heat shield
Bassani cat-back exhaust
Torsen LSD
SPEC Stage 1 clutch
SPEC flywheel

We all know hybrids build more tq. SO why low numbers with the Ported & polished heads etc.

Yet he pulled a 177tq which is really low.

I'll keep looking for the dyno comparison later cause i gotta finish working.

Last edited:
Wow... long tubes causing a LOSS of low-end torque. That goes against every exhaust tech article I've ever read. I would have been PISSED if they were MY headers.

Can you measure the collector at the bottom if you can. For me?? That also would be some measurements i am compiling for the exhaust section here on the forums.

Plus our collectors still end with a 2 inch which is proper tubing size.

Any other measurements you can get from these headers would be great!

The Bassani is a bit of a bottle neck. It's a little better than stock but still 2.25 in areas. Also it was a Mustang dyno that reads lower.

like todd said,the dyno for one. for two,its not tuned. there was no NPG back then,i don't even think xcals were out in 01/02,irrc,ADC was the tuner of choice in those days.

I just got done thinking about this, i meant to say the lower rpms had a loss of tq numbers. Not the midrange to top end tq. But i do not know the pulse waves that tubes itself produce to make an accurate assesment. Then again i never heard a car with them on also.:shrug:
IIRC the rpm range was moved up sooner also but peaked later in the rpms.

I'm still searchng but to no avail. There is just too many threads about headers:crazy:

Every link in the world goes no where now lol.

Last edited:
Back