• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rotor Removal Question

98 Contour

CEG'er
Hi all,

I posted this in the 'Brakes' forum as well, but I figured I would try asking here too:

I'm doing the front brakes on my wife's '98 Contour, and the rotors are rusted solid to the hub. The last time I tried doing the brakes on this car, they were so bad I had to take it to a mechanic. I've had the rotors soaking in PB blaster for a while now, and the sledge hammer isn't making a difference. After searching the forums, I saw someone had used a 3-jaw puller to remove their rotors. Does anyone here know what size I would need or where I could find one large enough for a rotor? I'm hoping to find something soon, 'cause while her car is down, she's driving mine. So any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

if you can use a torch! that's what i use just make sure you spread the heat evenly, and after you heat it up then tap it with a hammer! works every time!!!

Thanks for the advice guys! Someone suggested using a small propane torch, would that get hot enough to work?

If not, I'm going to need a bigger hammer..........

Thanks for the advice guys! Someone suggested using a small propane torch, would that get hot enough to work?

If not, I'm going to need a bigger hammer..........

well that might work, it is worth a shot!! but what i was talking about is a Oxy-Acetylene Torch, that's what i use!!!:laugh:

Oxy-acetelyne torch is probably your best bet... Or you can do what I did...

Sawzall with 3 or 4 good metal cutting bits, cut right down to the hub... Now go to the opposite side of the rotor and do it all over again... Then, take a small wedge and whack away at one side then the other till the rotor breaks...

Big issue with hitting with a sledge is you risk damaging the wheel bearings... When I was wacking away at my rotors, I had a bad wheel bearing I was replacing anyways, but still had no luck even with the 10lb sledge we usually use to split big logs and whatnot.

sledge will not hurt the wheel bearing if your smacking it on the face of the rotor heating the :censored::censored::censored::censored: out of it with a torch will really screw up the wheel bearings they are just not meant to be that hot being so close to the cherry red rotor your cooking lol. my suggestion is a lot of pb blaster a good wire brush to clean the corrosion off the hub as best as you can than a big sledge and start banging away.

Patience, a hammer, pb blaster and a torch. I have done the brakes 3 times on my car and I will never do them again. Each time, it has been the same way with the rotors rusting to the hub.

The first time, I actually cracked the rotor in 3 pieces because I had been banging on it for so long.

Ill leave brakes to the professionals from now on...I don't care how much it costs :mad: :laugh:

sledge will not hurt the wheel bearing if your smacking it on the face of the rotor heating the :censored::censored::censored::censored: out of it with a torch will really screw up the wheel bearings they are just not meant to be that hot being so close to the cherry red rotor your cooking lol. my suggestion is a lot of pb blaster a good wire brush to clean the corrosion off the hub as best as you can than a big sledge and start banging away.

Right.... :rolleyes:

The bearing isn't going to get that hot from heating it up... You'd have to transfer heat through the hub from the rotor and then through the bearing. Heating the rotor enough to get it off will not damage the bearing. Are you guaranteed to damage your wheel bearings with a sledge, no, of course not. But wacking away with a sledge hammer is most certainly worse than just heating it up...

EDIT: When you put them back on coat the insides of the rotor hats with antiseize as well as the hub itself to help prevent this problem in the future...

Last edited:
Update

Update

Well, the puller only ended up making the rotor look like someone took bites out of it. I gave up and I'm taking the :censored: car to the shop. Thank God my Contour is a better car, because I really hate my wife's car.
Thanks for letting me vent, and thanks for all the help!

Where you located? Maybe someone in your area could give you a hand...
Lehigh Valley area...... If anyone's around, they're more than welcome to stop by.

I was able to convince a buddy of mine to bring his torch over, so we're gonna try again on Saturday. I'm hoping that will do it.

We won't be able to help ya this weekend, sorry. :(
Looks like the entire Lehigh Valley crew is going to be quite busy this weekend.

Good luck! I hope you get them off.

We won't be able to help ya this weekend, sorry. :(
Looks like the entire Lehigh Valley crew is going to be quite busy this weekend.

Good luck! I hope you get them off.
Thanks. My friend is bringing his torch over Monday afternoon, so hopefully we'll have it wrapped up by then. While it's down, I'll be replacing both upper O2 sensors. Oh what fun that will be..........

You'll get it off. Patients my friend, patients.
If that doesn't work, pound the :censored: out of it. Helps to get the frustration out and will probably get the rotor to come off in the process. :D

You'll get it off. Patients my friend, patients.
If that doesn't work, pound the :censored: out of it. Helps to get the frustration out and will probably get the rotor to come off in the process. :D
Well, my patience (and my wife's) are wearing thin with this car. But I'm sure it will be done by Monday.

And on an unrelated note, has anyone ever bought O2 sensors for these cars on eBay? I saw some listed for $25, about half of what the parts stores want. Are they any good, or should I get the ones from the parts stores?

Thanks again for all the help and support everyone!:cool:

Back