• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

b&m vs fidanza shifter

madman666

CEG'er
my question is does anyone know of any differences between the two?In photos they appear to look the same.the b&m is around $180 and the fidanza is around $80.Other than the ball on the end what else could effect the quality of a shifter?I have read about welding the ball to stop it from breaking ,but is this just for the cheap shifters or for the b&m also?

Thanks in advance for any help

So are you saying that I wont have to get the weld on the ball of the b&m reinforced?

shouldn't have to ... only the cheap knock off have to be ... they have nearly, if not a 100% failure rate. this is even if you shift very easy ...

They're also very easy to fix if you know someone with a welder...

I'm running a knock off one with the ball rewelded in my svt...

So are you saying that I wont have to get the weld on the ball of the b&m reinforced?
I just installed a B&M and love it.
Pretty straight-forward, just make sue to use pliers and snap the ball on well to the shift linkage.
We inspected the welds very carefully from reading the bad stories and the B&M welds look top notch.
I've fully tested their strength :cool:
-J

LUCA has a fidanza unwelded with no issue. (that I know of)

I bought one and had it welded, but I would have done that with either one. From my understanding B&M's break too.

B&M short shifter for $88 at Advance Auto. :shrug: I work there and looked it up while bored. Also you can get Eibach spring sets for about $264 from them.

LUCA has a fidanza unwelded with no issue. (that I know of)

You are correct, no issues. It's been on the car for around three years, IIRC.
*knocks wood* so it stays that way. ;)

B&M short shifter for $88 at Advance Auto. :shrug: I work there and looked it up while bored. Also you can get Eibach spring sets for about $264 from them.
Are you sure on the $88? That seems real low compared to everywhere else selling for $160 range :shrug: . Eibach seems like a normal price but not the B&M.
-J

Well if it's not the right price, it's gonna be what you pay, has to be ordered (3 days here) with free shipping, and the price is listed at $88.80 IIRC.

EDIT: Might pick one up at that price before I leave since I get a 20% discount haha.

Just buy a cheap one on ebay and have it welded. I have used 3 cheap short shifters and had them all welded. I even used one for a few weeks without a problem. I have a 100% success rate with them welded though. Cheap and easy!

Well if it's not the right price, it's gonna be what you pay, has to be ordered (3 days here) with free shipping, and the price is listed at $88.80 IIRC.

EDIT: Might pick one up at that price before I leave since I get a 20% discount haha.
You should buy 3 or more if you can get them at that price and sell them here. I found a good price online and price-matched it at Summit and I'm sure it was still over $150. I gladly would have paid you less :laugh:
-J

Haha I would love to do that for CEGers but unforunately I can't swing the cost, I'm in college so even $88 is a lot for me. However, August you should look for me if you ever need an SVT front bumper cover. ;)

I got the B&M in the mail yesterday and installed it ,and now I realize that I really dont like it.It may be because I could not get the spring back in ,but it seems like I keep punching the radio bezel every time I shift into 1-3-or 5 and 2-4- and reverse seem like a really short throw it keeps making me think that its gonna pop out of gear ,but whatever Ill get used to it.thanks for the input everybody.

Hmm, I was always hitting the radio with the stock shifter but not once with the short shifter.

You'll get used to it, give it some time.

Back