• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Springs, Struts 'n Tranny Mounts

96_ContourGuy

CEG'er
Hi-
Was finishing up on brake job this morning and found 1 busted coil spring and my tranny's sitting on the frame. So, no more beatin' on it till I get that tranny off the frame.:cry:

I've read just about all I could read here, but I don't see which mount supports the tranny and keeps it off the frame - or do I just replace them all? I'll admit, I haven't been under the car to actually LOOK at the mounts, to see what's what. But I figure if that tranny's laying on the frame, I'd better get to it quick.

My questions are:
1. Where can I get decent Springs/Struts (I wanted something better than the OEM stuff at Advance/Autozone)
2. Where can I get better quality mounts? From what I'm reading, the OEM stuff doesn't last all that long.

I don't need high performace-type stuff, as this is a daily driver.

If I'm gonna spend the money though, I might as well get something a little better.

Any advice?
Thanks,
Rick

Here is a link to the Transmission mount. Says only for a V-6, you don't state what engine/trans you have. Some people say just a bolt breaks in it and they just replaced the bolt. Bill Jenkins at Team Ford sells them cheaper than BAT.
http://64.202.180.37/files/cdrive.pdf

Thanks for the replies. A big ooops! It a Ztec/ATX. I saw BAT had the mounts for the V6, but not for the 4 banger. I can get 'em thru Advance Auto - they'd be OEM but that should do for the amount we drive it. Same with the struts/springs. I've had the car for a couple of months now, and haven't put 500 miles on it...

I do have to get that tranny off the frame - anybody have this experience before? What mount caused the problem? I guess I'm having a "mental block" on this whole motor mount thing... Since I'm a truck guy, I can't get past how all this stuff goes together.

Thanks as always...
Rick

Rick,
I had the same problem when I came to this forum from my jeep XJ site, the whole concept of this car is diffrent but cool at the same time. It's a blast to drive and it takes the corners like a bat outa hell. We both have to get adjusted to, good luck man!!

...I do have to get that tranny off the frame - anybody have this experience before? What mount caused the problem? I guess I'm having a "mental block" on this whole motor mount thing... Since I'm a truck guy, I can't get past how all this stuff goes together.

Thanks as always...
Rick
Yes. Tranny to driver fender mount (the rubber is compressed, could be due to normal wear and tear or just too many potholes causing the springs and stuts to wear out, and hence higher pressure on the rubber "insert").
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=2989&highlight=tranny+fender+mount

Last edited:
Hi!
Well, everything's fixed that needed to be fixed, EXCEPT two roll resistors. Struts, springs, bushings, links, a couple of ball joints, heater switch, etc.

I've been replacing parts a little at a time and now I have to do the roll resistors. Replaced the tranny2fender mount, and got the tranny off the frame, and most of the virbration is gone.

I've searched and read just about everything I could find on the roll resistors here in the forums, however, some confusion still lingers... :shrug:

I'm on the anchor website (anchor-online.com) looking for part numbers under Transmission Mounts. P/N 2873 is the tranny to fender apron mount. That's done.

On the same page, P/N 2887 indicates Rear Insert Att to Crossmember, and P/N 2888 indicates Att to Crossmember. Both show inserts.

On the Engine Mount Page, it indicates 2885/88/89/90.

Can anyone advise which P/N's to use? Just want to get the one between the radiator & block, and the one between the block and firewall. My local Autozone stocks all of these, so getting them is not an issue.

Now, just to get this straight - There's a total of 4 mounts/resistors - The front (by the timing belt), a rear (tranny2fender apron), and two roll resistors.

This is a '96 Ztech ATX.

I REALLY appreciate any assistance.

Thanks!

Back