• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Royal Purple after thoughts...

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
Well about a year ago a put Ford Honey in my MTX-75. only to have my trans fluid turn to sludge in the winter. it was so stiff that i could not drive the car when the temp was really cold. (damage would have accrued). even 30 mins of idling didn't help. so this spring i changed it with Royal Purple Syncomax MTL. so far shifting is even better than with Ford honey. i had seen posts about ford honey and cold weather. i know people run Royal Purple on here. and have had great luck with it in the winter. well anyway I'm very happy with the Royal Purple.

i got it for $37.63 shipped. from thunderracing.com $8.95 each + $10 to ship. thats the cheapest i found it online. i didn't feel like running around trying to find it in stores that should have it but don't.

well i just thought that i would share my info with you all.

Last edited:
I agree with you there although I haven't tried the Ford "Honey" myself. I switched from Redline MTL to Royal Purple and it shifts like butter in all temps.

My tranny has 143k on it with all original parts except for the shift forks and LSD.

Can get it at Napa for $8 a qt. Lots of other places too. Not hard to find.

OMG:blackeye: i forgot i have a napa like 1/2 mile away.:troutslap: the store is still new so. o well. i had a hard time finding it in the past. the auto parts stores would have every royal purple product except that.

but i just like it way better than Ford Honey so far.

my MTX is stock with 107K. hope to keep it around much longer.

Last edited:
I'd have to agree, I had Ford Honey previously in the trans, when I did the Torsen, I was going to go Ford Honey again but I had to purchase it in Canada(no trans no going to the D lol) and it was 38.99 a quart. A big F that, ordered the RP locally for 13$ CDN a quart and I too have found it to be better in the cold temps then the Ford Honey.

I think I am going to try this out... Anyone have any ideas of where I can change my tranny fluid though? I do not want to do it in my driveway because it is dirt and drastically unlevel... So where can I go where I will not get yelled at by cops? LOL...

I think I am going to try this out... Anyone have any ideas of where I can change my tranny fluid though? I do not want to do it in my driveway because it is dirt and drastically unlevel... So where can I go where I will not get yelled at by cops? LOL...

Family or friends house? Don't go trying it at a parking lot in a park or something.

I have the Ford Honey in the mtx right now. I think that its better then the Syncromax. but then again this mtx has almost half the miles of my original and was recently rebuilt. About the closest I got to driving it in cold weather was this past march and it was very smooth.

Well it does not matter how much it costs at NAPA because the one by me does not stock it, or maybe they do :shrug:

I went up to the guy at the counter and asked him if they stocked it, and then he took me out on the floor to the car care section!!! He said we have "Purple Power" wash, and I was like it is tranny fluid... He was like "oh" and took me over to the fluids section and looked around and found Royal Purple ATF... He said it was the same thing, and at this point I was pretty pissed and told him that it was not... Looks like I will not be going back to retardville, I mean my local NAPA :mad:

my local napa didn't have it on the shelves with the rest of the oil, they have it off to the side since they don't sell alot of it .... one time it was in a box along the front windows ....

:cool: well technically he isnt wrong. alot of mtx's use atx fluid

im sure you can call the same guy and try to order a radiator for a 73 vw bug. or a ring set for a 93 rx7. he'll look it up and say the same thing they all say "hmm, im not showing anything. its probably a special order item. would you like me to order it for you?"

well after more seat time with the new fluid i still like it more then fords stuff. shifts are still smoother and i had a problem with 2nd sticking on occasion (with ford honey) and thats all gone.

Crap, i was at NAPA today i and forgot to look at prices for you guys. No worries i have to go back Friday. I'll right it on the list, to look at the price (if they have it).

I don't get it when people say Ford Honey is this horrible stuff when it is cold. I most likely live in the coldest place out of any CEG'er and the Ford Honey wasn't bad at all. You let the car warm up for 5 min when it is -50F and it will be stiff for like 3 seconds. Once you roll it threw the gears one time, you are fine. I am sure it will be the same with Royal Purple as well. Granted the cost of the Ford stuff might not be worth the extra $20 a quart but it isn't this craptastical fluid in the cold that everyone makes it seem like.

all i can tell you is when it was lower then 10 deg i was unable to drive the car because of the trans. never had that with the old ATF fluid.

Back