• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

accident....

When I wrote that post, I meant "Most New England roads with 35mph posted limit." I would now edit that to say "many" instead of "most."

I know people (not personally) who have flipped their cars and died on the 35mph roads in my hometown. The most recent was someone who skidded on sand while rounding a curve in front of the fire station.

Last edited:
For much of the time that I lived in Montana, we had a "Reasonable and Prudent" limit during the day on state highways and interstates. Some Secondary routes were set as high as 70. Of course, out there, there's a lot less to hit. It was rather nice to be able to make good time across the plains knowing that you were still operating safely. Once in a while, I hear some hair-brained story of some nitwit in Massachusetts running a buck and a quarter down I-495 or some such, and the idea sure strikes me as a bad one. We've got way too much population density for that rate of knots.

In sum, I think that prudent operation is a must anytime -- the speed you carry is dictated largely by the conditions and the posted limit.

Wasn't trying to bust balls, for the record.

At first I thought maybe you knew how old I am, then maybe sarcasm, then this being earthweek I thought maybe some subliminal message about population control/genetic weeding. Never anything about balls.

She might also have seen you if your lights were on.

As has been said. Never admit guilt to ANYTHING in front of ANYONE other than your lawyer.

Sounds like you are young and stupid as we all once were. With time former will change, lets hope the latter does as well.

For much of the time that I lived in Montana, we had a "Reasonable and Prudent" limit during the day on state highways and interstates. Some Secondary routes were set as high as 70. Of course, out there, there's a lot less to hit. It was rather nice to be able to make good time across the plains knowing that you were still operating safely. Once in a while, I hear some hair-brained story of some nitwit in Massachusetts running a buck and a quarter down I-495 or some such, and the idea sure strikes me as a bad one. We've got way too much population density for that rate of knots.

In sum, I think that prudent operation is a must anytime -- the speed you carry is dictated largely by the conditions and the posted limit.

Wasn't trying to bust balls, for the record.

haven't they since implemented a speed limit in montana??

and, i'm not sure if it was montana, but there was a state up in that area where you could drive with open containers of beer or whatever. hehe...

haven't they since implemented a speed limit in montana??

and, i'm not sure if it was montana, but there was a state up in that area where you could drive with open containers of beer or whatever. hehe...

They are one and the same. In about 1999 or so, Montana went back to a posted limit -- 75 day and night. Last I knew, you could still work a cold one at the helm as long as you were outside of city limits and not intoxicated.

"WTH is a gigawatt?"

Gigawatt.jpg

jeeze....never seen so much criticism for a guy that was honest in his statement....

yah, but if you have read some of his posts you would think otherwise.

errrr...even if I had a biased opinion on him, I'm pretty sure i'd still think he was being heavily criticized for being honest in his statement...:shrug:
I know when talking to cops its kind of intimidating and you feel you better speak the truth or else. I've done the same thing, as well as friends of mine. It's kind of a live and learn deal...

you guys should really lighten up on the guy. None of you guys can tell me you have never broken a traffic law in your lifetime and get me to believe it. Now to the op get some f'n brakes on your car and when you see people coming to cross roads proceed with caution dont go on the thought that they see you just make sure you see and watch them. No one is looking out for you but you. Be more careful from now on and get that sunroof fixed!

you guys should really lighten up on the guy. None of you guys can tell me you have never broken a traffic law in your lifetime and get me to believe it. Now to the op get some f'n brakes on your car and when you see people coming to cross roads proceed with caution dont go on the thought that they see you just make sure you see and watch them. No one is looking out for you but you. Be more careful from now on and get that sunroof fixed!

I have never done 50+ in a 35 mph residential zone while KNOWING I had bad brakes. Heck, I don't think I ever had the SVT doing more than 15 mph over the speed limit anyplace.

I have never done 50+ in a 35 mph residential zone while KNOWING I had bad brakes. Heck, I don't think I ever had the SVT doing more than 15 mph over the speed limit anyplace.

I bet you'd drive 20 over if someone told you the fish were biting up at Lake of the Woods or wherever it is that you like to go. :laugh:

Moral of the story: We have all done it, he just got screwed.

Get them brakes fixed!

I bet you'd drive 20 over if someone told you the fish were biting up at Lake of the Woods or wherever it is that you like to go. :laugh:

Never been there actually. And there is plenty of time in the day to go fishing, no need to hurry. :)

you guys should really lighten up on the guy. None of you guys can tell me you have never broken a traffic law in your lifetime and get me to believe it.

But we are giving the guy a hard time for being a bit of a moron and admitting his guilt, not for the breaking of the speed limit. Though, to be honest myself, I don't go any more than 10km/h over the limit in residential zones. Now when I get out on the highway, than I usually go a tad faster. I also don't let my brakes go to crap on me...

Back