• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

mystery mod

ok i understand the whole search thing but it never quit works for me i apoligize for not SEARCHING harder thanks chad

Its kind of fun to see "mystery mod" again... :cool:

Memories...

hollowing out precats is... not effective unless they're deteriorated. Hollowing out deteriorated precats will restore near to factory power at the cost of some increased noise. The difference between "not driveable" and "driveable" is a HUGE improvement.

Hollowing out working precats? Some say it costs power over the whole band, some say it gains power at high RPM. That should be enough to tell you something about how useful it is.

I believe those that reccomend it as a "great first mod" actually started with deteriorated precats.

roughly how many miles does it take usually before precats get clogged, and benfit from gutting them??

Mine went about 110K miles, only clogged due to extended driving with a misfire. I didn't gut them, I just installed a set of MSDS headers instead. More performance than gutted pre-cats, less money than new precats. :cool:

Its kind of fun to see "mystery mod" again... :cool:

Memories...

hollowing out precats is... not effective unless they're deteriorated. Hollowing out deteriorated precats will restore near to factory power at the cost of some increased noise. The difference between "not driveable" and "driveable" is a HUGE improvement.

Hollowing out working precats? Some say it costs power over the whole band, some say it gains power at high RPM. That should be enough to tell you something about how useful it is.

I believe those that reccomend it as a "great first mod" actually started with deteriorated precats.

I understand that the headers exhaust pipes are seperated and they have a somewhat type of pulse setting in the tubes to have better hp/tq numbers.

So to ask you, do you think it's only the tube design that adds power? or the removal of the cat material??

I understand that the headers exhaust pipes are seperated and they have a somewhat type of pulse setting in the tubes to have better hp/tq numbers.

So to ask you, do you think it's only the tube design that adds power? or the removal of the cat material??

More to do with the design of the headers. Even if you took a stock manifold, cut it open smoothed everything out and welded it back together you would still not get the gains of a set of headers. The stock precats are not the big gain from installing headers, it's the much better design that promotes scavenging and also flows much better.

More to do with the design of the headers. Even if you took a stock manifold, cut it open smoothed everything out and welded it back together you would still not get the gains of a set of headers. The stock precats are not the big gain from installing headers, it's the much better design that promotes scavenging and also flows much better.

I agree with that statement, i just didn't bother explaining myself more. I disagree with the idea that removing the precats offers no gains.

I agree with that statement, i just didn't bother explaining myself more. I disagree with the idea that removing the precats offers no gains.

I'm sure its safe to say that by adding headers you gain from the design and having no restriction such as the pre cats have some restriction.

also the reason so many of us say gutting the stock pre cats offers no gain if they weren't clogged is because the exhaust flow is not smooth out of a gutted pre cat. creating a more turbulent flow. having no scavenging effect. and hurting performance.

And it's not like you can gut the pre-cats while your oil is draining. To do it correctly (and safely), it takes a decent amount of time. Don't waste your time doing it unless it truly is an emergency. Better to spend that time installing headers.

I gutted mine, then later installed headers. I regretted wasting the time spent gutting ever since.

Well gutting the pre-cats was an only option for those that coldn't afford the 700 dollars for msds headers a couple of years ago. Since they reduced the price, msds is a way better option now.

Then don't you have to use MIL eliminators? and where do you get them?

you can make some with instructions that are out on the internet or you can purchase the same ones that come with the MSDS headers from ctamotorsports, etc I believe. I got mine from spmotorsports when they where still around.

nautilus also sells the mil eliminators. you could pretty much buy them from a lot of aftermarket sites. Basically as long as you are using ones made for ford cars, the plugs are the same.

Back