• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Intake

i dont understand why you'd put the plenum back on??? the opened tb i'm sure helps make the intake a little louder than you normal zetec:laugh:

i dont understand why you'd put the plenum back on??? the opened tb i'm sure helps make the intake a little louder than you normal zetec:laugh:

our intake manifold does not have a plenum volume of its own large enought o keep a smooth idle. so we have a second plenum above out TB. with out without this added plenum you get an unstable idle.

you keep saying it was to loud. the intake shouldnt add that much volume to the sound of your intake. It mkaes me think you have a VCT issue. :shrug:

Matt just rotate the intake like I did. You can give it a pretty good rotation and that way the stalk will point forwards more, that way it won't get mashed in by the hood.

It definitely shouldn't. Take a look at mine again.

100_1528.jpg

I can't figure what's going on... it looks the same as yours. It doesn't sit on the body like it should, it just sort of hangs there.

Haha you're just worrying too much. My filter is much longer than yours, and helps hold the intake in place. Heck, I honestly don't even need that bracket to hold it in place at all, but it's there just in case. Just loosen your clamp to the plenum and rotate the intake tubing, and you will be fine. If you want to have it hold itself up, you might want to try lengthening it by pulling a bit of tubing out of the clamp by the plenum, and pulling some pipe out of the red coupler. Maybe you can make it long enough where it'll hold itself in place against the body.

This thing still howls pretty good under load... if you've ever heard a F-22 fly over, it sounds like that. I may have to put the stock airbox back on, and use just the piping.

you don't like that sound? wait till the exhaust goes one,if you remove the resonator(which you should,and replace it w/a glasspack) they'll balance each other out.

you need to put a ground wire on you IAT sensor

No you don't. The PCM measures the resistance across the thermistor. The brass housing on the IAT sensor doesn't need to be connected to ground. Heck, the stock elbow has a brass intert in the plastic. Not grounded.

Questions:
  • To what, and how, do you secure it to the car?
  • What size is the plenum intake? 4"? 3" piping fit inside it... I need a coupler that will fit over this lip, and 3" doesn't cut it.
  • It sounds like a ricer car over 2500 rpms!!! How can I stop this?!

You should secure the intake to the intake or motor. The intake needs to be able to move with the motor. If you anchor it to the body, you will be constantly flexing the couplers and they will crack/break over time.

Loud is good when it comes to the intake. The difference between you and a ricer is the noise is coming from his exhaust. If it is really obnoxious then I'd be concerned that your static timing is off and there is too much valve overlap. Do you have any CELs right now?

BTW, the intake side of the MAF is 3.25". That is why is it such a b!tch to get a 3" filter on there. I bought a 3.25" filter from Summit for $25. Works like a charm. It makes cleaning the MAF much easier.

BP

No you don't. The PCM measures the resistance across the thermistor. The brass housing on the IAT sensor doesn't need to be connected to ground. Heck, the stock elbow has a brass intert in the plastic. Not grounded.

i thought the sensor, like others, had a 2 wire plug going to it. Which then he would need a ground for the sensor. I have the 6wire MAF so i wouldnt know for sure. it just seemed logical. good call on the correction though.

If it is really obnoxious then I'd be concerned that your static timing is off and there is too much valve overlap. Do you have any CELs right now?

thats what ive said a few times, but it seems to have been ignored.

Last edited:
our intake manifold does not have a plenum volume of its own large enought o keep a smooth idle. so we have a second plenum above out TB. with out without this added plenum you get an unstable idle.

I have the old CTA intake, so there is no plenum on my car yet my idle is pretty smooth :shrug:

You should secure the intake to the intake or motor. The intake needs to be able to move with the motor. If you anchor it to the body, you will be constantly flexing the couplers and they will crack/break over time.

The CTA intake has a metal piece that connects to the MAF and bolts onto the tranny mount bolt... If you want I can get a picture of it Matt...

Last edited:
I got mine secured to the tranny mount with a bracket and zip tie. I think the metal of the intake is just vibrating at certain points and making some of the noise. It is louder than stock, but I'm sure the optimized TB has a lot to do with it. Timing is fine.

but do you have any check engine lights? vct constanly changes the time on the exhaust cam affecting the total timing of the car. i have a small issue with the sensor and before it correctly adjusts, my intake sounds as you are describing it. :shrug:

No CELs. I figured something from the intake like the IAT sensor might throw one, but nothing so far.

I have the old CTA intake, so there is no plenum on my car yet my idle is pretty smooth :shrug:

The CTA intake has a metal piece that connects to the MAF and bolts onto the tranny mount bolt... If you want I can get a picture of it Matt...

The plenum really affects throttle response. Only idle a little.

If you do anchor to the tranny mount, use at least a 1/8" thick piece of aluminum. I've had two of the stock CTA brackets break. (They were only 1/16" thick aluminum.)

i thought the sensor, like others, had a 2 wire plug going to it. Which then he would need a ground for the sensor. I have the 6wire MAF so i wouldnt know for sure. it just seemed logical. good call on the correction though.

thats what ive said a few times, but it seems to have been ignored.

I know, I figure I'd point it out again because it looked like people were ignoring you. ;)

Later,
BP

Back