• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Intake

Matt R

Hard-core CEG'er
Here's my intake, just put it on today.
0405082015.jpg

It's an eBay intake: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=320229724877

Questions:
  • To what, and how, do you secure it to the car?
  • What size is the plenum intake? 4"? 3" piping fit inside it... I need a coupler that will fit over this lip, and 3" doesn't cut it.
  • It sounds like a ricer car over 2500 rpms!!! How can I stop this?!

Comments on installation:
  • Fitting the MAF into the filter is indeed almost impossible. Using a razor to trim a little of the edge of the rubber helped, but it's still a PITA!!!
  • With the supplied bend, you can't keep the plenum, you'll have to buy a straight coupler and attach this just to the TB for now.
  • The IAT sensor won't reach to the TB, where the hole for it is in the silicone coupler. I had to extend the wires about a foot and a half. It has 2 wires, simple cut and splice.
  • Overall install time was about 2 hours.

Last edited:
looks good! i like it, but the breather hose looks kinda smashed, i would find a better way to route it or something. or mabey one of those little filters from the PS:shrug:

Yeah, the stalk for the breather hose on the piping points straight up... I can't find a good way to route it without it getting squashed.

from the looks of it i wud try to rotate the pipe towards the firewall, if possible, and run the hose under the pipe and up around from the back side...would be easier if you had more of that purty orange hose. anyway maybe i'm wrong i'm just go'n off the pic

It's actually red, it just came out orange in the picture. I do have more, I just trimmed that piece down to nothing. If I rotate it though, it will ruin the curve/bend of the piping?

Really, I just need to know how to secure this to the body of the car...

Hey Matt, flip your tubing completely around and face the stalk forwards, that way the breather hose isn't flying around up in the air. And as for securing it, use the brackets that came with the intake, and zip tie one to the MAF (there is a slot you can do this), and bolt the other end of it into the mount for the air box. And as for using the plenum, the outer circumference is 3.5", so you need a 3" to 3.5" coupler. Good luck with that...I went to Lowe's and bought a 3" to 4" "downspout connector" and just filled in the extra gap with another piece of rubber coupler lying around, and used the STOCK PLENUM clamp, as it is BARELY long enough to reach around. The clamps that came with the intake IIRC aren't long enough to reach around the 4"

If you look at the auction, I would use the L shaped bracket in the MAF slot, and bolt that onto the car?

Nah I would use the long one and bolt to the mount for the air box. I'll go take a pic of mine right now, brb and you will see :D

EDIT:
0406080029.jpg

See what I mean? :)

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll have to try it tomorrow. Mine airbox doesn't have a mounting bolt though. It just fits into plastic holders.

Oh crap, maybe something they decontented just to be cheap :nonono:. There might be some bolts around to use. Also, you might want to try just rotating the pipe instead of flipping it around as I had said. You might be able to get it nice and out of the way. Mine points forward and up a tad, but it's rather clean.

i agree with zorrex, i think if you cud get the hose to be a straight shot it wud be best all around, even if it just a little 2inch peice of hose, that wud look and work better than hav'n it all colapsed.

Ok. I guess the downspout connector would be a standard plumbing piece prolly. I'll have to buy another clamp, because mine is securing the MAF to the filter (the supplied clamp was about 1" too short for that). It looks like the stock airbox had plastic tabs that snapped into holes in the body. No bolts besides a grounding screw. It looks like I could just throw a small sheet metal screw into the body, the tranny is under there, but even if the screw just pierced the tranny casing, I don't think it'd hurt it.

i wudn't risk mess'n the tranny up, a metal shaving has the potential to trash a tranny! i wud find something that will hold it up and use an exsisting bolt to secure it to...that way you dont srew up something as important as the tranny.

i wudn't risk mess'n the tranny up, a metal shaving has the potential to trash a tranny! i wud find something that will hold it up and use an exsisting bolt to secure it to...that way you dont srew up something as important as the tranny.

Well I'm sure the same airbox mount is still there, but instead it just has plastic tabs instead of screws. Just screw right into it Matt :D

Why did you put your breather stalk closer to the tb rather than near the filter like it has on the ebay picture?

you said it sounds ricy? do you have a check engine light? if so it might be your vct system. mine does that when my car hates me.

also, you could just get a new coupler for autozone the one that comes with the kit it for the focus which is smaller.

it should have also came with a supply'd bracket to hot the intake up. this is mounted to the tranny mount. You remove one of the 10mm bolts, attach, then take another nut and bolt and secure the bracket to one of the side tabs on the maf.

Last edited:
Updated it today, put the plenum back on. I bought a rubber coupler for drain pipes from Home Depot. 4" to 3". I cut off the end of the end of the stock rubber hose to make it fit a little better. Still haven't found a way to route the breather hose properly, it's still getting mashed by the hood when it closes. I can't turn the pipe because it's pressed right against the brake fluid reservoir. (BTW, ATP Turbo has essentially the same thing with a silicone coupler, and you can get a 3" to 3.5", but they're $18, and $12 shipping. This cost me $7. And it came with the clamps already on it.
0406081925.jpg

0406081926.jpg

you need to put a ground wire on you IAT sensor :blackeye:. but other then that looks good.

try taking a really long piece of that hose for the pcv breather and loop it around the pipe. or if all else fails. plug the hole in the pipe(or move your IAT there) and put a filter on the breather port.

Back