• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

reverse lockout removal

ronssvt

Hard-core CEG'er
ok I swear I searched both the new and old forums and couldn't find anywhere if theres a write up on how to remove the reverse lockout on post 98's. I already unscrewed the shift knob and took the spring out but that did nothing, what else is there to do :shrug:

Pull up the leather boot, remove the right rear bolt. Remove the small metal tower.

You may need to shorten/cut that bolt before you reinstall it.

Just like was said.

Pull up the shift boot being careful not to break the tabs.

You'll see the shifter is held in by 4 bolts. A T30 Torx bit will get these out.

When you look at the shift tower, you'll see the blocker that is the reverse lockout.

Remove the lower right screw, slide off the block, put the bolt back in, snap in the shift boot and you're done.

The 2000s dont have the seperate little tower that can be removed (at least mine doesnt). :shrug:

maybe someone took it out? I was just in a 2000 the other day and it was there.
ill try to remember to get a picture tomorrow of what mine looks like. its a solid piece of black plastic instead of the metal with the extra "tower"

hmm well I tried to pull the boot off but it wouldn't budge, any ideas on how to get it off without breaking anything?

uploading pics for you now.

There are some clips on either side of the boot cover.

DSCF1463.jpg

DSCF1464.jpg

And here is the reverse lockout. Notice the tab that stands on the bottom right.

DSCF1461.jpg

DSCF1462.jpg

Last edited:
well, that's just weird. Go to a junkyard and and swap that thing out for a normal reverse lockout like the rest of us.

well, that's just weird. Go to a junkyard and and swap that thing out for a normal reverse lockout like the rest of us.
i havent found a manual 98+ in any JY around here. hell, there are only 3 98+ in the JY around here. :shrug:

also it looks like i would have to get the whole tower which i really dont feel like changing. i was thinking i could just find a late focus knob as it has the same little ring for the shift boot but no reverse lockout.

Back