• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pic says it all

been busy since the moment I got home working on the car.

stock y-pipe and test pipe where reinstalled. I also wired up my LC-1 Wideband controller. Everything works as it should. I also placed the Apexi turbo timer display/controller on the dash and ran the wire into the dash. Now I either need to wire it up or tuck it up under he dash to have black98svt (Doug from Shelton) wire it up and rewire my alarm.

The problem of the right appears to be that the O2 sensor bung on the test pipe is not centered over the hole in the pipe. When I tried to install the sensor it would jam up, like the threads didn't match. But if all O2 sensors have teh same thread then that isn't the problem. But from looking it apears the bung alignment is off. So I need to buy some files are fix that tomorrow. Or maybe I can pull the test pipe again and drill it out ...

the other goal tomorrow it to tape up and organize the LC-1 wires and put the center console kick panels back in. However I need to pull the center console for the turbo time to get access to the parking brake switch ...

hopefully tomorrow after getting another quart of Ford "Honey" for the mtx, as its just slightly low, I hope to drive the car again tomorrow.

all the parts I ordered should be in tomorrow or thursday. So hopefully this weekend I can get those fuel system upgrades done.

DSC04567.JPG

DSC04569.JPG

DSC04570.JPG

DSC04571.JPG

DSC04572.JPG

DSC04573.JPG

Last edited:
I like making progress on this project:laugh: new deadline hopefully is Carlisle.

Anyway I was finally able to install the wideband O2 sensor this afternoon. I think the threads where rusted up some and the bung was off center, neither helped to get the sensor threaded in correctly. After that I put the driver foot well area back together. I will put the passanger side back when I tape up and coil the harness for the wideband controller. Next I remounted the intercooler. I rebent the brackets so that its tucked in and up alittle higher. I also installed the radiator spacers. After topping of the mtx with Ford Honey it was time to test out the new front brakes. So far so good. I still need to bleed the brakes to make the pedal alittle firmer. I also swung past ctmystiques to take a look and and talk about how his y-pipe fits the heads, or doesn't fit actually. I hope you hand is alright.

So tomorrow the maf adaptor I ordered will arrive. So once I can get the correct couplers to install the maf I will go for the fuel system upgrades. Also the rear brake upgrade is in order soon also.

Sounds like it is coming along. When is the last time you actually changed your brake fluid? If you are like most people, you probably havent in a while. I highly recommend a fluid flush along with the bleed, it dramatically improved the feel of the brakes on my 98.

I like making progress on this project:laugh: new deadline hopefully is Carlisle.

Anyway I was finally able to install the wideband O2 sensor this afternoon. I think the threads where rusted up some and the bung was off center, neither helped to get the sensor threaded in correctly. After that I put the driver foot well area back together. I will put the passanger side back when I tape up and coil the harness for the wideband controller. Next I remounted the intercooler. I rebent the brackets so that its tucked in and up alittle higher. I also installed the radiator spacers. After topping of the mtx with Ford Honey it was time to test out the new front brakes. So far so good. I still need to bleed the brakes to make the pedal alittle firmer. I also swung past ctmystiques to take a look and and talk about how his y-pipe fits the heads, or doesn't fit actually. I hope you hand is alright.

So tomorrow the maf adaptor I ordered will arrive. So once I can get the correct couplers to install the maf I will go for the fuel system upgrades. Also the rear brake upgrade is in order soon also.

Sounds like it is coming along. When is the last time you actually changed your brake fluid? If you are like most people, you probably havent in a while. I highly recommend a fluid flush along with the bleed, it dramatically improved the feel of the brakes on my 98.

well I haven't bleed the brakes yet. I just pushed the caliper piston in just enough to get the caliper and pads on the new rotors. I forget if I took a turkey baster to the resivior and changed out what fluid I could. I know when we bleed the clutch the fluid was nice and clean. i complete flush is something in the back of my mind also.

I feel like Brian doing all this work is making me want to get my ass in gear and work on my car for once. :laugh:

When do you want to grab that IMRC cover? I'm gonna paypal Elky now for the damn Sno-Brum I keep forgetting about. :eek:

I feel like Brian doing all this work is making me want to get my ass in gear and work on my car for once. :laugh:

When do you want to grab that IMRC cover? I'm gonna paypal Elky now for the damn Sno-Brum I keep forgetting about. :eek:

how about friday afternoon? I will be heading down that way between 1 and 3. Or when I come back Friday night or saturday morning depending.

how about friday afternoon? I will be heading down that way between 1 and 3. Or when I come back Friday night or saturday morning depending.

I'd have to leave it outside near the garage or something. Some of us work full days on Fridays. :laugh:

If that works just let me know.

that would be alright. what about later that night or the next morning?

That works too. I should be around.

I need to make a drive out to Waterford at some point to meet up with the guy that the Mystique A/C compressor accidently shipped to. Long story.....:crazy:

Tony you should leave the engine out. I'll just go to your house on my lunch break with work tools and get that oil cooler off lol.

also, I gotta get my sno brum from brian...a bit late for the season but oh well!

Last edited:
lol you guys! I was thinking about your Sno-Brums literally one minute before I opened this topic. So crazy.

You got the correct size hex?

no..i figure I'd grab a bunch. Just go measure it jabroni!!

"Hex keys are measured across-flats (AF), which is the distance between two flat edges of the key, as opposed to across-corners. Standard metric sizes are defined in ISO 2936:2001 "Assembly tools for screws and nuts—Hexagon socket screw keys", also known as DIN 911, and, measured in mm are 0.7, 0.9, 1.0, 1.25, 1.3, 1.5, 2 to 6 in 0.5 mm increments, 7 to 22 in 1 mm increments, followed by 24, 25, 27, 30, 32, 36, 42 and 46 mm."

to get back on track alittle ...

I wrapped up the LC-1 install today but taping up the harness and putting the passanger footwell area back together. I then got the data logging software and the xcal2 going to data log the wideband. I was able to calibrate livelink to correctly display the a/f ratio. It matched up just about perfectly with the LC-1 software that I was using to display the A/F ratio.

I learned a few things data logging tonight. at idle a ported 3L will run about 15:1. when shifting it will hit 20:1 or greater. Under load at wot I am reading 11:1. So this confirms what Joey said about my car, its running 15% lean because of the added displacement the PCM doesn't know about. I am glad to see that it is getting plenty of fuel under load. Also at first my A/F guage was not reading anything in the rich zone on the guage. I reprogrammed the output from reading the max of 8:1 after learning the car goes to 11:1 to 10:1. This made the guage display the a/f ratio better.

Also as expected everything I ordered came in today. I now have the proper maf adaptor for the 80mm maf. I placed an order for the two couplers that I need to use this maf and adaptor. I now have header wrap for all of the hot pipes in the kit.

So I don't think that I will have much time to get much done tomorrow but Saturday I should be able to upgrade the fuel system and tune the car. If that all goes well I can start the turbo install. So if and when the fiel upgrades get done and the car runs well I will either get the rear brakes upgraded or start on the turbo ....

Back