• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My new beater

i dig the V8 LS... the only thing i have to wonder about is how well they do in the winter.

They do great in the snow, surprisingly with the RWD, V8, and 235 tires. They did a lot of work with weight distribution with these cars, putting the gas tank under the car, with a full size spare and the battery & fuse box in the trunk. The advancetrac system(traction control) is awesome as well. My buddy's girlfriend(now ex) had one, and we'd take it out actually trying to get it sideways in the snow, and it wouldn't. It'd stick to the ground, and if you got the back end to come out at all, the Advancetrac would bring it right back to where it was. You can turn that off with a button though. :laugh:

Mark

nice choice Mark,those are some nice cars,and that V8 is no slouch , I was running one in my 66 Impala and we were pretty much neck and neck (on the track of course) Enjoy your purchase

They do great in the snow, surprisingly with the RWD, V8, and 235 tires. They did a lot of work with weight distribution with these cars, putting the gas tank under the car, with a full size spare and the battery & fuse box in the trunk. The advancetrac system(traction control) is awesome as well. My buddy's girlfriend(now ex) had one, and we'd take it out actually trying to get it sideways in the snow, and it wouldn't. It'd stick to the ground, and if you got the back end to come out at all, the Advancetrac would bring it right back to where it was. You can turn that off with a button though. :laugh:

Mark

EEh you kiddin there terrible. I have driven many in the snow and they sucked. With some snow tires they maybe ok, but with the factories there bad. Some tips, change the cabin air fliter every 15k, you will be suprised at the junk it can collect, get some extra lug nuts as the stockers tend to swell under heat and you will have to use a 20mm socket to get them off instead of a 19, and thats if the casing doesn't come off as well. Carefull of the rear windows as they have been known to fail and will get stuck down. You will have to replace the regulator then $$. Other than that there pretty good and fun to drive. Consider an LSE upgrade. Its just appearance but to me adds alot. Can't think of anything else right now.

That's quite the upgrade! I love the LS, if I were in the market for a car bigger than this one I think it's my only consideration.

I was actually on AutomotiveForums a few days ago, and saw your thread over there. Don't ask me why I was looking for LS forums, I might have been browsing ebay and stumbled across a rare 5-speed MT LS. I've always wanted one.

My grandmother has a very nice 2003 V6 Premium. I've driven the car a good bit and can say they are very fun to drive, even in base trim. A very stout platform in terms of rigidity and suspension tuning. Even her V6 had pep (although, both engines did get a boost in hp starting that year). A very refreshing car considering it has a lincoln badge on it. It's too bad Ford saw fit to give up on it, but that's the way of things lately. The Zephyr/MKZ has nothing on it IMO.

P.S. I heard from a birdy that if you would like to catch up to those 03+ V8's, the earlier cars take kindly to simple mods.

Last edited:
EEh you kiddin there terrible. I have driven many in the snow and they sucked. With some snow tires they maybe ok, but with the factories there bad. Some tips, change the cabin air fliter every 15k, you will be suprised at the junk it can collect, get some extra lug nuts as the stockers tend to swell under heat and you will have to use a 20mm socket to get them off instead of a 19, and thats if the casing doesn't come off as well. Carefull of the rear windows as they have been known to fail and will get stuck down. You will have to replace the regulator then $$. Other than that there pretty good and fun to drive. Consider an LSE upgrade. Its just appearance but to me adds alot. Can't think of anything else right now.

My "change AC filter" sensor has been coming on for the last few days. I'll be changing that out this week.
As for driving it in the winter, I guess I'll just have to see how this one does. You guys tend to get a bit more snow in Michigan than we do in Indiana, but the LSE that my buddy's ex-girfriend had, handled great in the snow.:shrug:
Never heard about the lugnuts, but have heard about the window regulators going bad. Also know about the airbag sensor tripping because of the wiring below the driver's seat. The 00/01 models also have some sort of tranny issue in higher mileage, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!
I looked into the LSE upgrades, and daaaaaamn are they expensive! I suppose it wouldn't be much worse than the SE guys going to SVT body parts, but I don't think I'll mess with it.

Mark

I'm definitely still keeping them in mind (used) for when my GL ****s the bed.
We're also looking at used Jaguars. :D
amazing how cheap you can get these used luxury vehicles for!

that was my thought also, find a used x-type Jag with a 5-spd for my next dd

ive got a 2001 Lincoln LS V8 sport as well green/tan with chrome wheels,borla cat back,white face guages,induction kit,eibachs, H.I.D`s, etc
really fun car to drive and sounds just like a mustang. such a nice car

Back