• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My svt bogs out on me

Halfpint413

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hello everyone i am new to the forum and am looking for some help with a problem that i have had for sometime now.

I drive a 2000 Contour SVT 5speed with 65000 miles on it. The issue that i am having with it is when i want to accelerate it sometimes bogs out like there isn't enough fuel or air getting to the engine. It is especially bad when i put the peddal all the way to the floor. It also seems worste at lower RPMs as well ranging from 1,000 to 4,500. This problem doesn't seem to exist when it is cold out when i first run my car. Some of the codes that i have recived from my car are a lean mixture code, but the one that comes up more often is my cat. is at max capacity or is full. Not to sure what that means. The car will also occationally die when i am pulling up to a stop sign. That has only happened a few times. I know that this isn't normal because when i first bought my car about two years ago it seemed to run wonderful.

When i bought my car, the previous owner did some work on the car himself which included changing the intake manifold gasket due to the fact that the cable broke that operates those butterflies and that caused the pressure to build up in the intake and blew out the gasket. That is at least what he told me.

Please help me out here. I am really looking forward to your opinions and thoughts about what i should do or check on my car.

First check the air filter, if it's filthy change it. When was the last time the plugs and wires where changed?

check to make sure the secondaries are closing like they should. also post the exact codes that where pulled.

Pugged pre cat? My IMRC stuck open didnt give those symptoms, just a little dog under 1-2k, and it was fine any higher.

check to make sure the secondaries are closing like they should. also post the exact codes that where pulled.
My brother had this problem right at around 4000rpm as well.

They also said he had metal shavings in his fuel lines. Awesome!

My answer to all the bogging/hesitation threads:

Plug Wires

I don't care if you just changed them. I've had two different cars with this reoccurring problem and my advice is to buy a set of wires with a lifetime warranty and save the receipt.

Do the cheap stuff first.

Last edited:
No i have not changed my spark plugs or wires yet. It seemed like it was more of a fuel or air issue. Let me know if a new fuel pump fixes the problem. Thanks for all the good comments

Last edited:
My answer to all the bogging/hesitation threads:

Plug Wires

I don't care if you just changed them. I've had two different cars with this reoccurring problem and my advice is to buy a set of wires with a lifetime warranty and save the receipt.

Do the cheap stuff first.
:laugh:

I just replaced the fuel pump and filter in a 2000 Contour SE with a direct replacement. I got about 150 miles on it before it started bogging down and dieing again. What VIN number is the cutoff for changing to the return less fuel system?

I inherited this car from my Father and I swear it hates me.

Last edited:
I just replaced the fuel pump and filter in a 2000 Contour SE with a direct replacement. I got about 150 miles on it before it started bogging down and dieing again. What VIN number is the cutoff for changing to the return less fuel system?

Welcome marksm. Your 2000 SE has a returnless fuel system. Did you throw away the fuel sock when you changed out the fuel pump?

That sound expensive! Did you do plugs and wires yet? If so make sure the tops of the plug wires are snapped onto your plugs. For plugs I use the Autolite double platnum's.

When my car recently started this problem the plugs and wires fixed it. Last week it through a P0401 code and I replaced the DPFE sensor (not sure if the two problems were related). 300 miles later it runs fast and smoothe.

That sound expensive! Did you do plugs and wires yet? If so make sure the tops of the plug wires are snapped onto your plugs. For plugs I use the Autolite double platnum's.

When my car recently started this problem the plugs and wires fixed it. Last week it through a P0401 code and I replaced the DPFE sensor (not sure if the two problems were related). 300 miles later it runs fast and smoothe.

The plug wires can be a problem, but you are better off testing them before you go out and buy new ones right away. It is more expensive to throw money at things that don't need to be changed than to find the real issue and fix that the first time.

Welcome marksm. Your 2000 SE has a returnless fuel system. Did you throw away the fuel sock when you changed out the fuel pump?

No, I kept it. It needed the early style pump. The one I got for the later VIN was too tall to fit.

You need a new fuel pump. The 2000 fuel pump tends to do that. I just ordered a new one because my car was doing the same thing.

yup, replaced one...I remember reading that you don't want to drive too often without at least a quater a tank of gas in the car as anything lower and it is worse.

No, I kept it. It needed the early style pump. The one I got for the later VIN was too tall to fit.
You may want to throw the fuel sock away when you change the fuel pump this time. The fuel sock usually causes problems as it causes the pump to work harder.

Mine had a miss just off idle, and at low rpm/high load when the secondaries were stuck open. Replaced the grommet, put the rod back on, and it cleared right up. Make sure your IMRC is working... and is connected to something!

Back